Map Co-ords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Co-ords?

So... Every time I go to the wiki I see "here at j-9" or "h-2" or "i-13" or "e-12".... you get the idea. Where can I find the co-ords? I have no clue what these mean but am far from sick of running around endlessly. I'd promise my body but al-las, I'm a horribly brutal man on the eyes... so please, for the love of god, just help to help. Thank you!

Re: Map Co-ords?

Go to your main menu, on the bottom of the first page should be a button that says "Map." Select it. (Alternatively, type "/map".) The coordinates refer to specific sectors on the map.

If you don't have a map for a certain area, research on how you can obtain one; you can still obtain your present coordinates for that area in the meantime by typing "/echo <pos>".
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

All the maps in FFXI are grid-based, like military maps.

When they say "D-4", look at the map and you should easily be able to see that spot. If you can't, I'm sorry you really are blind. You can also check your immediate position by typing <pos>
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
        Go to your main menu, on the bottom of the first page should be a button that says "Map." Select it. (Alternatively, type "/map".) The coordinates refer to specific sectors on the map.

If you don't have a map for a certain area, research on how you can obtain one; you can still obtain your present coordinates for that area in the meantime by typing "/echo <pos>".
        Thank you! I over-looked the grid...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
        All the maps in FFXI are grid-based, like military maps.

When they say "D-4", look at the map and you should easily be able to see that spot. If you can't, I'm sorry you really are blind. You can also check your immediate position by typing <pos>
        I apologize. World of Warcraft has trained me to start at the middle where your toon is and work the way out with markers that were pre-marked on the map. I am not used to looking for grids. The lines in this game are also tiny and (maybe due to my resolution) the numbers are at the sides but letters not at the top. I guess I over-looked them. Far from blind... but very, very trained by Warcraft. If someone would kindly point me to a complete newb beginner guide to FFXI since I bought the game online, it'd be greatly appreciated and I'd stop bothering elitest

Comment

FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you need to know is there.

For co-ordinates just look at the top and left ledgers of the map - that's where you see the numbers & letters. It shouldn't take more than a glance to figure it out. I'm not trying to be mean here, we were all noobies once but this really is a pretty simple thing to resolve. Really the only times the maps get confusing is when you have hidden paths & tunnels like in the stupid zilart jungles.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aliveagain1984 View Post

I apologize. World of Warcraft has trained me to start at the middle where your toon is and work the way out with markers that were pre-marked on the map. I am not used to looking for grids. The lines in this game are also tiny and (maybe due to my resolution) the numbers are at the sides but letters not at the top. I guess I over-looked them. Far from blind... but very, very trained by Warcraft. If someone would kindly point me to a complete newb beginner guide to FFXI since I bought the game online, it'd be greatly appreciated and I'd stop bothering elitest
            The game will do that with the maps. Even if you don't have a map, you can always Alt+Tab, and pull up the link Malicite gave you. Using the map of the zone you are looking for, you can navigate your way through the zone quite easily.

I would also suggest to not mix WoW, and FFXI terms once you are fully into the game. It will make your life a lot easier.

Comment

It's also pretty obvious but i have had to say this to more than one person more than once:

Your map is always orientated north.

Why is this important?

Because it makes navigating using just a wiki map and and ingame compass go much more smoothly once you can identify each area's landmarks.
              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
              X