Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Back to Vana'diel... but on which server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Back to Vana'diel... but on which server?

Which server is the best?

Hey all: I'm the newest of newbs here for the time being, though I played FFXI for a couple years a long while ago (until my dissertation got in the way).

I tried returning to FFXI again once, a less long while ago, and found myself on a new server. I don't even remember which. But people just seemed different. More obnoxious. I didn't realize it until later, but it makes sense that each server would have its own personality...

Now that WotG is happening (and now that my dissertation is in better shape) I'm planning a big FFXI homecoming for myself once again. But this time I want to plan in advance. In an ideal world (pun intended) I'd be on a server where folks can actually carry on a conversation once in a while: I'm not looking for crazy role-play stuff, just not a world where every other character you talk to is a mule, and where the rest are so only into leveling that they might as well be mules. Or random kids who yell at you for not matching your race to your subjob correctly, while amusing us all by making their Galkas dance over and over in subligars. Know what I'm saying?

So, I offer this up to any takers: which server is the best place to be?

I'll be starting up in Windurst, if that matters, as a Taru WHM or THF. Oh yeah. I got it all planned out.

Re: Coming Back to Vana'diel... but on which server?

i think u should decide that.

on every server there ppl wich u can talk or do things with theres no certain one.
    so its up to u really.

Comment

Baram, i know what you mean. I'm returning to FFXI in hopes of finding a more lively community for this game, not a group of elitist (insert noun)s or 'nut jobs' running left and right yelling at me for not having a 75 (insert their job name).

Is there a certain popular server or one that holds the majority of the community at this point? I don't plan on server hopping for the hell of it just to find one with a good structure.
      ------------------------------------------
      [System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]
      Last edited by Basteus; 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Let me be the first to say that if you come to Remora, you are welcome in my linkshell. I'm a sack holder and we're always looking for new friends. Beware, we're not the best of the best, but we sure have fun doing what we do. We also have a bunch of high level people who are willing to help anyone.

As for Remora itself, it's pretty social, but don't expect it to be nice all the time. You have your idiots who just can't shut up, but that is to be expected on any server.
        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
        I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Personaly I havent had any problems with elitists or the like on Ifrit. I like it there.
          But at the same time I dont know what any of the other Servers are like so i wouldnt be able to say if Ifrit is better then any others. I am also only one person in all of Ifrit and cant speak for everyone else. But thats just me.
          I like pie........no seriously.. i do.

Das Oldskoolen
          It's not a pizza. It's a bomb.
          We didn't order a bomb either.

My Fav

THF:43 RNG:24 BLU:13 WHM:14 BLM:13 PUP:7 COR:9
          Windy Rank: 4 <-----Humar ( retired )

THF:51 RNG:27 BLU:9 WHM:21 BLM:18 NIN:27 WAR:15
          Windy Rank: 5 <-----Hucast
          Clothcraft: 6.8(?) Skills to come: Leathercraft, cooking, goldsmithing.

Comment

Kujata has an unofficial DiV Linkshell, if you plan on becoming a regular on these forums. What I recommend, though, is you sort of "shop around," or do as much research on servers and Linkshells as you can, or if you already have a friend who plays FFXI, you can go on their server. You can also try researching various communities, their Linkshells, Servers, and so on . . .

Really, to know the "differences" between the inter-server communities, you kind of have to be on each and every server for a decent amount of time, which, I assure you, is not a task that's worth the effort.
            Originally posted by Armando
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Originally posted by Armando
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
              Let me be the first to say that if you come to Remora, you are welcome in my linkshell. I'm a sack holder and we're always looking for new friends. Beware, we're not the best of the best, but we sure have fun doing what we do. We also have a bunch of high level people who are willing to help anyone.
              So, Ifrit, Kujata, and Remora all sound like good places to be; Haggai, you make a pretty damn good case for Remora (the LS invite doesn't hurt), so I'll start there -- and take you up on your LS invite. I'll see you there in the second week of January (after I get home from Xmas in New York).

So, Basteus, why not join me at Remora? Unless it turns out that there is a ban on Galka subligar-dancing on one of the other servers, Remora is where I plan to end up.

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
              As for Remora itself, it's pretty social, but don't expect it to be nice all the time. You have your idiots who just can't shut up, but that is to be expected on any server.
              That's not just FFXI -- that's life. And just as in life, idiots have their important roles to play, too... as long as there's not too many of them in one place.

Comment

Sounds good. I'll give you both a tell in a few days when i get it. I should have the same name as my account so don`t be too shocked if some random guy messages you 'bout the forums. Thanks for the info BTW :]

Comment

Can't give me a tell until I get on there myself, and that's not till January 7 or so (after I return from Xmas break)... by the time I get there you'll probably have lvlled beyond recognition, but when a low-level Taru THF sneaks by in mid-Jan, that'll be me...

Comment

I am going to say this ONLY once, it doesn't matter what server you should join. That fits all MMOs..just pic which server that you like. They used to be random anyway so it doesn't matter...
                    "I'm lost without you, without you I am lost."
                    "Life is but a dream, you can only go so far."

- Mfume

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Mfume.

Nevertheless, it looks like Basteus and I have found a friendly niche on Remora.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        Kujata has an unofficial DiV Linkshell, if you plan on becoming a regular on these forums.
                        I thought one of its member is complaining that very few people are on that LS lately?

Been on Ifrit since my day one--it seems good to me, but I don't have experiences on other servers.
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I think that i should just throw in my opinion of my server, as i have never been to another: there is a decent amount of people on Siren, but i've never seen it where it is too crowded that it is annoying. Everyone seems to be friendly (first day i got FFXI like 10 people gave me random items without me asking or anything). I hope that helps.
                          I like to party.

Comment

I play on Hades and it has a pretty good community. Most people are nice, and when I was lower level'd, lots of people taught me how to pull as a THF and other things like that. Without them I wouldn't be the only level 63 Tarutaru THF on Hades(I'm the highest level Tarutaru THF on Hades!! :O!!!!)

Comment

My RL friends got me to go the cerberus server. They seemed to have quit recently... damnit. lol. Anyways, does this community have a decent # of people on that server?

Comment

Working...
                              X