About ready to quit ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About ready to quit ....

I started out on Asura, killed that character and started again on Midgard. In between times, I levelled another character on Lakshmi and finally gave up on my Midgard character when I got major lag problems in the ToAH areas.

I'm not talking a second or so here, I'm talking 4-5 seconds after hitting the key before the toon goes into the rest position! I deleted and completely reinstalled FFXI, made a new character on a new server (Shiva) and started again from there. I'm now level 60BST and decided it was time to get my staging points done. Arrapagoe reef, I'm the ONLY player in the zone. I got aggro from a soulflayer so I sic carrie on it (pet was already out). The pet is still standing there when I died, then went on to attack the soulflayer for almost 10 seconds before despawning!!

I'm running a P4 3.2 gig with 2gigs of RAM, a 'POL approved" Nvidia video card with 128 megs VRam and over a quarter terabyte of disk space in arrays. My network connection is 8mbps cable and in the 'old' areas, I have no problems whatsoever! In the ToAH areas I drop to R0 in the moghouse! These areas are totally unplayable for me!

Any suggestions (other than just quitting) ?
    CatrinM WHM75/BST75/BRD45/BLM37/PLD37/WAR37
    Bastok [10] Sandoria [10] Windurst [9]
    Linkshell: PromathiaChained / Shiva
    Catrin BST75/WHM37/BLM31/SMN9/NIN7/MNK6
    Bastok [6] Sandoria [1] Windurst [1]
    Beastmasters never die, we just get do-overs!

Re: About ready to quit ....

I have a seven year old 1.2gig (AMD) PC with 512 RAM and an Nvidia 64meg graphics card and a massive 20gig hard drive - I think I can safely say that your system should be able to cope with ToAU. The only time I've had problems even approaching yours are in Beseiged with 700+ in zone, and even then it's about 3 seconds of lag. As far as I know, though, getting R0 in the moghouse (particularly in Whitegate) is entirely normal, as is taking several minutes to zone out of Al Zahbi after Beseiged.

The only thing I can think to suggest is trying an older version of your graphics driver (I'm assuming you've already checked your files).
    I have heard that those who celebrate life
    walk safely amongst the wild animals.
    When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
    the animals find no place to attack them
    and weapons are unable to harm them.
    Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

Well, I downgraded my video drivers to a release 37 before the current one. That has relieved some of the problems, but I still get badly lagged there to the point that I can't fight since I can't pet-swap!

What really bugs me is that all of the new content goes into these areas, but SE makes no effort at all to update their software to the latest technology! Do they seriously believe that we're all still running FFXI on a PS2???

This game is getting sadder by the day ; ;
      CatrinM WHM75/BST75/BRD45/BLM37/PLD37/WAR37
      Bastok [10] Sandoria [10] Windurst [9]
      Catrin BST75/WHM37/BLM31/SMN9/NIN7/MNK6
      Bastok [6] Sandoria [1] Windurst [1]
      Beastmasters never die, we just get do-overs!

Comment

Problem is the lag with 700+ people in Whitegate. The zones are meant to cope with 700 maximum, often there are over that. It probably isn't your system. I get R0 all over the place in whitegate, and I know my system is man enough for the job.

I refuse to level inthe mire/Mamool Ja Staging point area of the thickets anymore cause of the lag.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
        "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

I think the lag issues you're having are network issues, not hardware issues. Lag experienced from your computer would be a slowed frame rate, whereas lag from internet issues results in movements taking too long, commands from you not occuring right away. When you tell your pet to attack something, that command gets sent to the server, processed, and the resulting animation(s) are sent back to your computer (over-simplified).

I would look into any network issues you may have: router, modems, ISP, local bandwidth etc. Are you by chance using a wireless setup?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
          ------
          Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
          When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Im on a 512k standard ASDL connection in the middle of the country so doesnt recieve the full speed when connected according to my ISP. I lag in whitegate a little and its not too bad but never in the other ToAU areas. ISP is crap for weekends from like 2pm till 10pm and 5pm till 10pm so I get lagged out anywhere but thats not FFXI fault

Sounds pretty much to me like you've already convinced yourself you want to quit though so not much point trying to fight it.
            75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
            Woodworking 91.9+2
            ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Check your router and make sure ports are forwarded for FFXI, I used to have the same problem when I started on the PS2, randomly getting R0 in towns.
              Cleverness - Hades
              75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
              DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

It's not you; a lot of people experience that problem.

It took me about 20 minutes to mule gear the other day for my Summoner because I kept R0ing. Unfortunately, there were about 750 people in Whitegate and it was just lagged to hell.

I wouldn't let something like that get to you, at least to the point of quitting.
                PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                Currently Playing:
                FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Working...
                X