Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any alternatives for someone switching from PS2 to PC when it comes to the CD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any alternatives for someone switching from PS2 to PC when it comes to the CD's?

Basically, sabout a month ago I got a PC that could run FFXI on high settings, so I figured I'd just put it on my PC. However, I'm wondering if there are any alternatives that don't involve getting another set of registration codes, and if paying for the product in general(doubtful on the second one, but its worth asking <_< >_>).

Thanks in advance.
    Cleverness - Hades
    75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
    DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Re: Any alternatives for someone switching from PS2 to PC when it comes to the CD's?

if you knew a friend who had the PC version, you could just use their disks. I believe your PS2 reg codes will work with the PC version of the game.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Re: Any alternatives for someone switching from PS2 to PC when it comes to the CD's?

Sadly I don't know anyone with FFXI for the PC. Only other person I know who has it has the 360 version, otherwise I would have borrowed them. And I know the codes dont matter, as my account is already active on my PS2, but I still need the CD's to install the game in the first place >_<.
      Cleverness - Hades
      75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
      DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

well then, aside from buying another copy of the game, there are no legal ways. sorry to disappoint.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Your best bet is just to find torrents of the PC disc images. You already own the game(the disc's are tied to accounts, not reg numbers), so I doubt it would be much of a legal problem.
          MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

no, the torrents would be illegal. you are not allowed to distribute copyrighted material.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

No one would bother you if you downloaded the client though, legal or not, if done through torrents.

But the client is huge, so expect days if not weeks of waiting.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Downloading a copy of FFXI is completely legal if you already own the rights to that software, which he does. There are plenty of places where you can download it, torrents and other places, but I would hhonestly recomend going to walmart and paying $30 for the vana collection DVD. It has everything on 2 discs and you wont spend 12 hours trying to download it.

Comment

again, torrents are illegal. whether you have the software or not is not relevant, you are not allowed to distribute copyrighted material and by torrenting/seeding, you are doing just that (or participating in the distribution).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru View Post
                    no, the torrents would be illegal. you are not allowed to distribute copyrighted material.
                    Distribution (upload) of copyrighted materials is indeed illegal no matter what (unless of course permitted by the owner), but downloading is somewhat different. Granted, under the torrent's network, downloading also means uploading, but if you use the hacked version of BT client and kill the upload function, then it may be legal as he already owns the legal right to use the software, although dependant on the copyright laws of the country in which he resides.

For the case of US, I think it's safe to assume this specific case falls under the Fair Use policy, but in order to be 100% sure, it has to be brought to the court of law. Nevertheless, the copyright laws were created in an effort to protect the authors for their works, thereby also protecting the revenues out of them. But in this case, I personally don't see s-e's right being violated, nor their revenues "stolen" by anyone.

Just so you know, CD's and DVD's of this game don't have any copy protection measures, so act of copying itself won't constitute a felony under DMCA.

Last but not least, I'm not intended in any way to encourage any and all illegal activities. I'm simply stating my opinion on this matter, nothing more or less.

Comment

I would also recommend you buy the whole thing, saves you lots of trouble, its cheap nowadays.
                      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by bside View Post
                        Distribution (upload) of copyrighted materials is indeed illegal no matter what (unless of course permitted by the owner), but downloading is somewhat different. Granted, under the torrent's network, downloading also means uploading, but if you use the hacked version of BT client and kill the upload function, then it may be legal as he already owns the legal right to use the software, although dependant on the copyright laws of the country in which he resides.

For the case of US, I think it's safe to assume this specific case falls under the Fair Use policy, but in order to be 100% sure, it has to be brought to the court of law. Nevertheless, the copyright laws were created in an effort to protect the authors for their works, thereby also protecting the revenues out of them. But in this case, I personally don't see s-e's right being violated, nor their revenues "stolen" by anyone.

Just so you know, CD's and DVD's of this game don't have any copy protection measures, so act of copying itself won't constitute a felony under DMCA.

Last but not least, I'm not intended in any way to encourage any and all illegal activities. I'm simply stating my opinion on this matter, nothing more or less.
                        Copyright law doesn't really work like that, especially not when it comes to electronic media.

Copyrights protect distribution as well as reproduction, the act of downloading a copyrighted media in this case falls under the clause of reproduction (since the procedure of downloading the media reproduce it digitally).

So in general it is illegal according to law to upload as well as download digital media that is protected by copyright, one act breaks the law when it comes to distibution and the other act breaks the law when it comes to reproduction.

There are certain exceptions to this of course in diffrent countries when it comes to fair use, but electronic software does not cover this since the company that owns electronic media has to grant a reproduction license in order for you to reproduce electronic media.

While the DCMA mainly covers distribution copyright laws itself covers the reproduction bit pretty well and is therefore not needed to be included in DCMA.
                        Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
                        Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

Working...
                        X