Simple Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Question

Ok, I'm reformatting my computer, due to too much space and viri. (yippee!)

I'm wondering if there are any re-installation issues that I should know about with installing the game again. (on the same computer obviously)
    Last edited by Mog; 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Re: Simple Question

I strongly recomend making a backup of your Playonline folder so you don't have to update (just reinstall FFXI and the expansions and then just overwrite the Playonline folder with your backup).

But about any reinstall problems not really, since you log in with your POL ID and password the reg. codes are already there.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

If nothing else you should back up your PlayOnline/SquareEnix/Final Fantasy XI/USER folder. The subfolders there contain all of your saved macros.

Icemage

Comment

How would I go about backing up a file? (Sorry, I'm a newbie at this)

I'm gonna try to google it in the meantime.

Comment

Just go to Program files and copy the Playonline folder to another drive, or in case you only have 1 hard disk then just copy it to another partition.

In my case I usually make 3 partitions when I install a OS, 1 for my documents (around 50% of HDD capcity), 1 for windows and program files (around 45% HDD) and one for internet temp. files. (5% HDD space).

It makes defrags much easier and improves performance, if you have an extra HDD you can set the Virtual Memory to that other drive which also helps a lot, plus you can use that extra drive for temp back up.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

mog, do this:

1. in the character select screen, highlight your character(s) and hit ctrl-alt-shift-B -- this will backup your macros, map markers, font colors, etc into a folder in your playonline directorey.

2. go to your PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pub\home01 folder and hit ctrl-C to copy the folder

3. make a new folder (TEMP) on a seperate drive (D: for example) and paste (ctrl-V) into your new folder. If you don't have another drive, then paste it onto a blank floppy (the data is not very big)

4. perform your reformat/reinstall of windows and stuff

5. once you have the game reinstalled, copy your home1 folder back into the same spot it was before

6. in the character select screen, highlight your character and hit ctrl-alt-shift-R to restore your saved settings

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Great. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                2. go to your PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pub\home01 folder and hit ctrl-C to copy the folder

3. make a new folder (TEMP) on a seperate drive (D: for example) and paste (ctrl-V) into your new folder. If you don't have another drive, then paste it onto a blank floppy (the data is not very big)
                As a home01 folder includes screenshots taken in-game, if you have a lot of them and still saved there (unless you use a 3rd-party software to take them, in which case they are saved wherever you designated), a single floppy might not be enough. If that's the case, and that you don't have a D: drive to copy them onto, do either one of the following;

1. E-mail all the screenshots as attachments to yourself, delete them, then receive them back after you finish re-installs.

2. Move screenshots to floppies first (you will need more than 1 if you have lots of them), and then follow the neighbortaru's instructions.

3. Burn them all to a CD, or whatever the media of greater capacity such as Zip.

In either cases, your screenshots are save in the following folder;

Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pub\home01\open\ScreenShots\FinalFantsyXI

Comment

Working...
                X