Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Why do you want to see what i do on my home computer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you want to see what i do on my home computer?

Well. Um. Did anyone track what files POL.exe opens? >_>; I don't think the security tool in question (Process Guard) reprots that.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
      Well. Um. Did anyone track what files POL.exe opens? >_>; I don't think the security tool in question (Process Guard) reprots that.
      I dunno, mine said it blocked one of its actions, An i havent logged on since, Not since the huge problems with the R-0 issues. In Wow when i R-0'ed i managed to log back on alive, In FFXi i R-0 an end up dead.. No point for me to log on an ruin an hour or 2 of hard work..

Right now its still all he say she say, Fact remains the same, its starting to scan something. Maybe nothing we need to worry about now, but whos to say it wont change at the drop of a hat..

Its funny that we even bring up the BBB. Because by far SoE is rated as an F on the BBB rating scale.. http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Bu...anyID=13168063

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Intresting you talk of the BBB when this is on that page "This company is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. This fact does not disparage the company in any way."

Disparage acording to the Thesaurus means degrade i.e. because their not a member it doesn't affect/degrade their rating.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
          Its funny that we even bring up the BBB. Because by far SoE is rated as an F on the BBB rating scale.. http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Bu...anyID=13168063
          Just to clear things up, SoE is Sony. SEI is Square Enix.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
            Why not just stop those applications/processes before you launch POL? Let say close your Internet Explorer before you run POL... I know some processes needs to be running in order for Windows to function, but applications like e-mail client or Web Browser can be closed before you play FFXI.
            I think the point is, they have zero domain, interest, or need to be looking at someone's browser, its history, their email client, their media players. None of this has any bearing upon FFXI. None of it is 'hax' that they're apparently so paranoid about that they've gone hay-wire.

If I was on PC, and that damn thing started looking at *my* internet history, broadcasting it to God only knows where, I'd stop using it, too. Granted, I don't bank or shop online, but many people do, and S-E hasn't vouched for where the data is going, or what is being done with it, or who is even looking at it. It's a massive problem waiting to happen.

Thankfully, I'm on PS2, and it looks like its going to stay that way until they tell us what exactly they're doing with the data, and why they even want it.
            "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

But who are they broadcasting this to? Where is this silly idea coming from in the first place. As has already been pointed out, several times, SE already has all of my pertinent info anyway. And they haven't done anything with that. Why would they start now?

And a gigantic laugh to those who are still afraid to bank/shop online. I mean seriously folks, it's 2007.

edit: Heck, maybe this is SE's way of boosting console sales by chasing all of the people who think they are going to do something with this info off of the PC.

Comment

Looking at SE's BBB score is almost as pointless as reading a McDonalds review by a card carrying PETA member.

Comment

Originally posted by Telera View Post
                  I think the point is, they have zero domain, interest, or need to be looking at someone's browser, its history, their email client, their media players. None of this has any bearing upon FFXI. None of it is 'hax' that they're apparently so paranoid about that they've gone hay-wire.

If I was on PC, and that damn thing started looking at *my* internet history, broadcasting it to God only knows where, I'd stop using it, too. Granted, I don't bank or shop online, but many people do, and S-E hasn't vouched for where the data is going, or what is being done with it, or who is even looking at it. It's a massive problem waiting to happen.

Thankfully, I'm on PS2, and it looks like its going to stay that way until they tell us what exactly they're doing with the data, and why they even want it.
                  Can anyone prove that POL is scanning client's web browser's history or any content of any files/data that is not part for POL or FFXI?
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Well since the only thing i've seen something talking about scanning with is ProcessGuard, try something else that monitors your computer.

Or more to the point, run a Packet monitor like WireShark, see if POL is sending anything, and if so, where.

Comment

Not to long ago i went an downloaded FFXI on my backup hard drive. Its rarely connected to my usb port unless i need to save somethign to it, An even then it doesnt acess the internet. But when Nortons did its system scan, It scanned my external drive. An wouldnt you know it, pol.exe came up as a virus. It wasnt even up to date on its patchs, Not to sure why this one came up as a virus, but my other version didnt..

So who knows it might have been a fudged reading with processgaurd, An it might just very well be more retarded S.E coding. But then again you still cant leave out the possiblity that S.E might just very well hit a full system scan out of the blue on you or anyone they might suspect.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Windows Firewall usually reports Pol.exe as a virus. There's a LOT of legitimate apps out there that register as viruses or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                          And a gigantic laugh to those who are still afraid to bank/shop online. I mean seriously folks, it's 2007.
                          Not afraid to, I used to buy alot of Game OSTs and whatnot online, but haven't in ages. I never had a problem at all. But, my bank is close enough to do what I have to do in person, as I'm often out near it or a branch of it whether at home or work. 90% of my bills are deliverable by driving distance and the one that isn't, ooh, mail. And there's nothing online I want to buy anymore. Not everyone likes to shop, shop. Nothing online that isn't in a store unless its aforementioned imported music and the like. And I have stores here that have that now as well. Afraid, and 'have no reason to' are two different things. Though, buying from random no-name sites online probably isn't very smart. My friend *did* have her CC info taken that way. But Amazon and those types are pretty well encrypted. No reason to fear those.

If it was more convenient for me to bother messing with the online portion, I might. So long as its easier to do it in person, I'll keep doing that. But I don't live in a big city anyway, so it probably won't ever be hard for me to do things in person.
                          "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

Comment

Ok, that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. But thank you for explaining why you don't shop or bank online. I'm glad we're on the same page now.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                              Windows Firewall usually reports Pol.exe as a virus. There's a LOT of legitimate apps out there that register as viruses or worse.
                              Thats pretty much what most firewalls say. Its a little bit to sensitive, But thats alot better then having a firewall that dont work, or worse having nothing.

My issue happened with nortons said pol.exe was a malisous virus, Kinda strange since the hard drive was clean before i installed it, An all i did was download the vana deil bundle from last year..

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                                Ok, that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. But thank you for explaining why you don't shop or bank online. I'm glad we're on the same page now.
                                I'm glad you brought it up in the first place! I mean, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I was just burning for a chance to expound my views on the issue. You made my day brighter by merely opening the topic so I could totally derail the thread, because that was completely my intention. *insert eye roll*

As opposed to my point of:

PC = personal property

SE = Company scanning, even if not reading, said property

Scanning w/o notification of it happening = shady legal ground, even if it is benign.

Also, on viruses: Windows Firewall is shit at best anyway. People who played SWG with Windows Firewall often had issues with it swearing the game was assaulting the system, so I wouldn't trust anything Windows Firewall. Norton? Eh. Even worse. Lags up boot up, and again, reports things that aren't viruses as if they were the Black Plague. I think I had it tell me my ATI driver was a virus. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X