Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Offline Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Version

Would SE ever consider making an offline version of FFXI with the expansion packs as sequals for all systems that play it?

While I love the online version, I sometimes think it would be nice to be able to do the quests and missions at a slightly quicker pace so I don't end up forgetting half the storyline. The offline version would offer players a chance to play through the quests and missions from the various cities without having to wait for parties to form or needing high leveled help. The offline version could also offer many of the same features as the online version such as character creation, crafting, changing allegiances to cities, etc.

The offline version would have to be seperate from the online version in the sense you couldn't transfer your character back and forth between versions to avoid people maxing out their gil or skills to bring to the online version. I think it would also be a nice diversion when there are long maintenance times. Just a random thought I have every time I read an update.

Re: Offline Version

If you are expecting an offline version that keep updated with the online version that would mean additional price charges. It also means a complete rehaul of the game function and rebalancing the jobs for offline play (Offline they have to be stronger because 1 person controlling an entire party and more would be to difficult, especially for Dynamis, HNMs, and other like functions).

Not to mention many of the functions on the online version will be pointless in the offline version. Besieged would be pointless in an offline version, all PvP game structures becomes pointless and in turn make some zones completly worthless to show.

It's a huge task to take designs built for multiple online players and make it an offline deal. In reality with the quantity of quests and such in there, to make it offline would make the game longer to play not shorter.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I doubt they would do this, it would have to be a totally different game altogether. The principles of FFXI is that especially after lvl 20 its hard to progress in the story etc. without a party, the whole game is arranged around interaction with other players to join parties. At higher levels EP's can own you, you couldn't fight anything at your level range past 40 (some have but it is very difficult)

The only solo version would be a new game / story etc. designed as a solo game i.e. FFXII (when it comes out).

Comment

Originally posted by Macht
        If you are expecting an offline version that keep updated with the online version that would mean additional price charges. It also means a complete rehaul of the game function and rebalancing the jobs for offline play (Offline they have to be stronger because 1 person controlling an entire party and more would be to difficult, especially for Dynamis, HNMs, and other like functions).

Not to mention many of the functions on the online version will be pointless in the offline version. Besieged would be pointless in an offline version, all PvP game structures becomes pointless and in turn make some zones completly worthless to show.

It's a huge task to take designs built for multiple online players and make it an offline deal. In reality with the quantity of quests and such in there, to make it offline would make the game longer to play not shorter.

FFXII will bve played like this, you have a PT in an FFXI style battle and you control all of PT
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

See Final Fantasy 1-10. +Tactics and others.
          Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
          I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I didn't mean make it an exact replica that changes with the updates. I meant make an FFXI offline, then possibly make the expansions as sequals to the offline or just ignore them completely. Have it based off the storylines from the various missions and make it so you could pick a few NPCs as party mates for when you get into battles. Naturally, they'd have to leave out things like Ballista but with the right group of writers and programmers, they could make one that allows you to enjoy the storyline without having to focus on the more tedious aspects of online version like farming or level grinding.

Beat them all repeatedly and still play them. Except 10 and 10-2, those were boring.

Comment

As much as I'd love the idea of playing a SE RPG as huge as FFXI offline and without dealing with bad players I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. :/

One of the reasons XI is so big and full of content is because SE needs to keep players busy so they pay the fee next month. So, unless the off-line game worked in the same way when it comes to monthly fees there's no way SE would have enough people dedicated to update and add content to the game as often as they do with XI.

Games like Oblivion or even GTA in a smaller scale seem to aim for that sort of experience, but I really hate D&D kinda fantasy games (WoW, LotR and the such) so I'll have to wait until a japanese game like that comes out (and gets translated since my japanese is very limited).

So I'll just keep playing the usual Japanese RPGs in the mean time. ^^
              sigpic
              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea
                FFXII will bve played like this, you have a PT in an FFXI style battle and you control all of PT
                FFXII is a small party (likely stays the 3 person party that the Demo had) and their power is adjusted to be stronger, however you do not controll a huge 18 person party in it or larger which is needed for areas like say DYNAMIS!!!

Lot of zones would be readjusted job powers would need readjusted and Mobs themselves would need to be readjusted (LOL good luck trying to take on AV in an Offline version if it stays like Online).

Double Post Edited:
                Originally posted by Haggai
                Yes, turn based systems not real time. You are talking about a huge overhaul here if you want those systems.
                Last edited by Macht; 08-02-2006, 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I've secretly wanted this for a long time. Not now, I mean. I'm talking a few years in the future, perhaps more than a few, when Final Fantasy finally shuts down.

When that inevitability finally occurs, I'd like some kind of software to make it 'offline', so you can explore and do the things you missed out on while the game was 'live.'

The things that would need to change would be either make characters much more powerful (i.e. able to solo most everything), or making the mobs much weaker (for the same purpose).

Barring that, it'd be fun to make a Local server (When the game is fully over, mind you, and nobody's playing online still) , so that you and friends could play together over a local connection. I think that'd be awesome, a kind of "Crystal Chronicles" all over again.

Either that, or maybe just a Cutscene Viewer, or something, to view all the nice cutscenes with your character. Something, you know?
                  Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

I'd settle for the S.O.Bs getting their own Crystal Chronicles game, I think they're worthy of it.

Comment

FFXI Offline would be like a dream come true to me. I know it won't happen, but I'd love to have exactly what we get in FFXI now only tweaked like a traditional RPG so we could do everything from EXP parties to Missions to Dynamis to Gods - all of that. I'm the type of person that doesn't use guides, so I could spend 3-4 years playing this game just trying to figure out it's secrets. I've always thought FFXI would be a better offline game than an online game.

Expansions or true sequels (that are not like FFX-2) of FF games would be very nice. I like the idea of continuing story lines. If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 parts to FFXIII. I don't know exactly how SE is doing this, but I can't wait to see them.

Sig created by THE Cesario.

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus

Games like Oblivion or even GTA in a smaller scale seem to aim for that sort of experience, but I really hate D&D kinda fantasy games (WoW, LotR and the such) so I'll have to wait until a japanese game like that comes out (and gets translated since my japanese is very limited).

So I'll just keep playing the usual Japanese RPGs in the mean time. ^^
                        I'm not a fan of Western Rpgs that revolve around JRRTolkien/boringness either.

Comment

......Is that you, JoeTheDude?

Comment

Working...
                          X