Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

The White Magic Spell "Holy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Magic Spell "Holy"

In past Final Fantasy games, the White Magic Spell "Holy" has always been one of the most powerful white magic spells. Yet Final Fantasy XI's version of "Holy" has both a high MP cost, and causes very little damage in comparison to the "Banish" white magic spells, which cost less MP and do more damage. It seems the only advantage to using "Holy" is the very short casting time. It would seem that "Banish" is more powerful than "Holy."

Question: Would the development team consider adjusting the spell "Holy" to make it more useful for its high MP cost? I would like to see it become more similar to the black magic spell "Flare," and the other "Ancient Magic" Spells. I would like to see Holy become a powerful spell again.
    Last edited by PTT; 07-25-2006, 02:50 AM.
    Wevrain - Shiva

Re: The White Magic Spell "Holy"

I support this idea, Holy is a complete joke to say the least... WHM deserves better. If anything... to join in on a light SC, which happens very rarely anyway..
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree
      I support this idea, Holy is a complete joke to say the least... WHM deserves better. If anything... to join in on a light SC, which happens very rarely anyway..
      I've always thought the high MP cost was for the *very* low castint time the spell has, compared to the *long* time of Banish...

but I agree it needs to do more dmg.

Comment

just shurrup and heal already.... leave the blowing stuff up to that bloke in a black robe, OK?

Kylestie was defeated by Curiosity.

Comment

A boost in damage for Holy would be desirable. As of now, I am lucky to get half the damage of Banish III. Not to mention that Banish II still out performs it. Holy Really should be the Light AM. Amd to Balance things out a bit... Give Blm Demi or something as the Dark AM
          Kuura
          Windurst Rank 5
          <[75 White Mage retired]> ((May she rest in piece))
          Originally posted by Dictionary.com
          spoon·y also spoon·ey ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spn)
          adj. spoon·i·er, spoon·i·est
          1. Enamored in a silly or sentimental way.
          2. Feebly sentimental; gushy.

Comment

Re: The White Magic Spell &quot;Holy&quot;

I too support this one, WHM doesn't get much in the way of being able to get "stuck in" and Holy is one of those spells that is cool for the first cast and then it's a bit of a let down, especially considering Banish II and III are more potent.

Mentally, I have aways envisioned it to be Banish > Banish II > Banish III > Holy and for the MP cost of Holy I think it should be that way.

So please, please make Holy more powerful so that we have something that can hurt monsters.

Comment

The only use for Holy right now is to show off to friends and acquaintances that you timing is so good that you can double magic burst Banish III + Holy. Nearly 200MP for about 750 damage on undead. It serves no practical purpose otherwise.

Banish III is at least useful in King Ranperre Tomb parties for dropping the defense of Lemures into killable range. Holy doesn't even have that excuse.

How would I fix it? Personally I'd like to see Holy get add effect: Stun on undead enemies.

Icemage

Comment

I've seen WHMs MB Light skillchain with Banishaga <whatever_tier> and land consistantly between 450 to 494dmg, and honestly that isn't bad at all. I think the biggest Holy I've ever seen was on a Too Weak mob for 250+ dmg. It really is a joke, and not even worth it. I recently told a WHM in my LS to only buy the spell for the simple fact of having ALL of their spells.

This would be another means for PLDs to get some more hate as well, but it just does crappy damage. Fast cast time or not, it's just not worth the waste of MP.
                Odude
                PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I agree, in all the final fantasies i can think of, holy was the white mage bomb! It needs to be the stronger offensive white spell in my personal opinion, because that stays true to the series that made ffxi possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbusarcanemus
                    I agree, in all the final fantasies i can think of, holy was the white mage bomb! It needs to be the stronger offensive white spell in my personal opinion, because that stays true to the series that made ffxi possible.
                    I agree. Holy is {Too weak} in FFXI.
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I can burst with Holy for lol effect, but other than that it's pretty bad for anything other than exploding low level mobs. Is Holy based on Divine skill or elemental?
                      sigpic

Comment

divine.
                        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

It'd be nice to see Holy returned to its "zOMGwhitemagicrulez!!11!" status. As it is, it's a slap in the face to White Mages that their "signature spell" (other than Cure/Protect/Shell) is only about as good as their tier II Banish/Banishga (and it doesn't even lower Undead weapon resistances like that spell line does. WTF @ that?).

At the very least, whenever a Light Skillchain happens to come around, the White and Black Mages should be racing to see who ends the fight first: Holy or Thunder/Fire/Wind. ;D

Comment

I don't really want to see it turn into a WHM ancient magic spell... It'd throw the balance off a bit if WHM could throw out a 900+ damage holy for 300MP and 18 seconds of casting. If only because almost every WHM would try to do it and it'd be like leveling at level 50 all over again. I'd never get a party on my WHM again because people would be afraid I'd whip out holy...

Yeah, that was a bit exaggerated, but I still don't know how comfortable I am with AM holy.

I'd definitely like to see it do more damage, but the question is: "How much is too much?"

Perhaps they should make it more like cure V and have no cap. Make it start off pretty crappy (lol 50 damage) and as you get more and more divine magic skill (a currently near-useless stat) it does more and more damage.

At least WHM would have a reason to level their divine other than for show then. Plus it'd have the side-effect of being a good PLD hate tool at high levels. Again though, they'd have to figure out how much damage was too much to prevent WHM and PLD from being broken.

...lol
                            Generic Info!

Comment

Oh it should definitely do a lot more damage. Having pld and whm do decent damage on light skillchains might help restore the desirability of tank-healer-skill chain based parties a bit as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X