Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Are there any plans to make a Vana'diel collection available for the PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any plans to make a Vana'diel collection available for the PS3?

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    favian: apparently you've never actually played any version of FFXI.

FFXI is a PS2 game. Period.
    I see, so i guess when i played it at my friend's house for the first time on the ps2 5 years ago, then later on my windows pc, and then later testing out the beta on my friend's 360, i should have realized it was a single platform game. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh i also should have ignored square enix's new company mission statement/motto to embrace every single platform out there?

Sorry it hurt your feelings to remind you that it is not a single platform title, and that it was never intended to be exclusively for ps2 from the get go.

Any way, Square, if you really do troll these boards, ignore the inane rantings of your fans who want FFXI limited to aging consoles that will soon be phased out, and be completely replaced by newer generation consoles or pc's.

It makes financial and economic sense to port it to ps3 just like it made sense to port to 360....... or to rerelease the ps2 game at a cheaper price for ps3 users who always wanted to play but never wanted invest the first initial $100 to jump in when they owned ps2s.... It's called EXPANDING THE USERBASE by Increasing the availability of your software.

sane people need only reply.
    Last edited by favian; 10-21-2007, 02:26 AM.

Comment

You might play FFXI on a 360, but it's still a PS2 game. Every single time FFXI has been released on a new platform, there have been practically no improvements. The Xbox got a longer draw distance. Whoop-ity-freaking-doo.

The PS3 is a failing console, and FFXI is an old game. Do you realize how few subscribers SE gained releasing it on 360, a far more popular console?

Anyway, last I checked SE is making Vana Collection 08 on PS2, which should work fine on PS3. Remaking FFXI for PS3 would be a waste at this point, they'd be better off making an all new game.

Comment

You might play FFXI on a 360, but it's still a PS2 game.
        lol, wrong. Contradictions escape the scope of your rationale?

Comment

It's called WASTING MONEY by remaking your software for an insanely small market.
          loleditingaftersomeoneposts.

Also fixed.

Comment

loleditingaftersomeoneposts.

Also fixed.
            So are you the resident asshole here? Or the one that never looked up the word community in the dictionary?

Comment

I don't believe it was ever intended to be a multi-platform game. SE looked to expanding it to PC when Sony decided to cut off support for the PS2 harddrive that's required to run the game. So opposed to letting the game die out with the PS2 harddrives they ported to PC then Xbox360. They already had intentions to expand to Xbox but had problems with Microsoft or something like that.

While multi-platforming is great it's caused a lot of problems in game. People complaining that PS2 had less lag than other systems, PC version introducing hacks and cheats (making it a lot easier for RMT), and some initial bitching about Xbox having better graphics.

At this stage in the game I see no reason to fix something about the game that isn't broken. The game runs just fine on PS3, why invest amount of money required to redo all the graphics to make the game better on a console that it already runs on? Why don't you just play on PC and up the resolutions, you'd get better results than a SE job on the graphics.

While I don't think FFXI is near the end of it's lifecycle, but it is an ageing game. And we know that SE is already working on another MMO. So not only is there no reason to redo everything about the game to make it work 'better' on a console that already runs it; but they're also stretching thier manpower over working on the upcoming expansion, updating the game as it is now, and working on a new MMO.

To say it makes financial sense to port it to the PS3 makes no sense. I sincerly don't think anyone would buy a PS3 just to play FFXI, PS3 sales are not that great, and the game already runs on PS3. They are releasing a collection of the game for PS2 (that will surely work on PS3) with the expansion so that anyone who has a PS3 can easily move to that console without having to search for all the seperate expansions.

Just because the PS2 is an 'aging' console now, doesn't mean it was when they developed the game. The logic you're using they should never make games for consoles because at some point they will be considered 'aging'. And they do all age, and new better faster games become available to play. Most games do not enjoy such popularity after 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Necropolis View Post
                I don't believe it was ever intended to be a multi-platform game. SE looked to expanding it to PC when Sony decided to cut off support for the PS2 harddrive that's required to run the game. So opposed to letting the game die out with the PS2 harddrives they ported to PC then Xbox360. They already had intentions to expand to Xbox but had problems with Microsoft or something like that.

While multi-platforming is great it's caused a lot of problems in game. People complaining that PS2 had less lag than other systems, PC version introducing hacks and cheats (making it a lot easier for RMT), and some initial bitching about Xbox having better graphics.

At this stage in the game I see no reason to fix something about the game that isn't broken. The game runs just fine on PS2, why invest amount of money required to redo all the graphics to make the game better on a console that it already runs on? Why don't you just play on PC and up the resolutions, you'd get better results than a SE job on the graphics.

While I don't think FFXI is near the end of it's lifecycle, but it is an ageing game. And we know that SE is already working on another MMO. So not only is there no reason to redo everything about the game to make it work 'better' on a console that already runs it; but they're also stretching thier manpower over working on the upcoming expansion, updating the game as it is now, and working on a new MMO.

To say it makes financial sense to port it to the PS3 makes no sense. I sincerly don't think anyone would buy a PS3 just to play FFXI, PS3 sales are not that great, and the game already runs on PS3. They are releasing a collection of the game for PS2 (that will surely work on PS3) with the expansion so that anyone who has a PS3 can easily move to that console without having to search for all the seperate expansions.

Just because the PS2 is an 'aging' console now, doesn't mean it was when they developed the game. The logic you're using they should never make games for consoles because at some point they will be considered 'aging'. And they do all age, and new better faster games become available to play. Most games do not enjoy such popularity after 5 years.
                Applause for the sensible and mature responses/rebuttals i was looking for from this community. For a minute i was afraid all the forum posters were like Feba.

Comment

Originally posted by favian View Post
                  Applause for the sensible and mature responses/rebuttals i was looking for from this community. For a minute i was afraid all the forum posters were like Feba.
                  Feba, despite appearing as asshole at times, is usually correct. He simply does not always write 10 paragraphs to support his views, especially when what he's stating is most likely already posted. I'm sure if I read through this thread everything I said in my post has already been stated.

Feba, however, is the man to talk to about technical jargon and such.

Comment

I'll pass on communication with smug assholes :)
                    Right or Wrong, agree or disagree a mature dialogue is always the most desirable. Thanks Necropolis.

Off to bed

Comment

There's a new PS2 compilation coming with Wing's release. Buy that, download the PS2 HDD from the PSN and you're golden.

Thread Closed ?
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        There's a new PS2 compilation coming with Wing's release. Buy that, download the PS2 HDD from the PSN and you're golden.

Thread Closed ?
                        Aren't the brand new PS3's coming out with the 40GB HD not including the backwards compatible hardware? So the PS2 version wouldn't work for them anyway?

Comment

Yes, which means you either buy the 80 GB model or a PS2.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                            Yes, which means you either buy the 80 GB model or a PS2.
                            that's too bad, they should emphasize the game for pc, since its much more flexible. the slimline ps2 doesn't support ffxi, neither does the new ps3's, so a console user's options are limited. The phasing out of ps2 compatability is a solid reason to release a ps3 port. There is a good chance the ps3 won't even be a successful platform anyway, which limits its potential subscribers even further.

Comment

Originally posted by favian View Post
                              that's too bad, they should emphasize the game for pc, since its much more flexible. the slimline ps2 doesn't support ffxi, neither does the new ps3's, so a console user's options are limited. The phasing out of ps2 compatability is a solid reason to release a ps3 port. There is a good chance the ps3 won't even be a successful platform anyway, which limits its potential subscribers even further.
                              Until the number of FFXI users who access the game via the PS2 becomes a smaller group, that is unlikely to happen.

Comment

over 2/3 of populace (at least in japan) are PS2 users.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X