Dunes Parties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunes Parties

Hey, I returned to Vana'diel about a year ago but reactivated my old account and decided to actually start playing on a more regular basis. Levelling with friends is fun, but when they're not around I was considering looking for parties -- I noticed that the Valkurm Dunes are relatively empty like 90% of the time. Do people still go there for parties like they used to? Or should I just try to focus on FoV while waiting for friends/parties to become available? And to keep discussion going -- what are some of your fondest and least fond memories of partying in XI? I loved Dunes parties, I have to admit!

Re: Dunes Parties

Originally posted by Narachan View Post
    I loved Dunes parties, I have to admit!
    You're a masochist.

On topic: The Dunes are dead, and have been for much longer than a year. Low levelling is done either solo (FoV in starter area or LTP/Kon/Tah) or in parties/alliances in Gusgen Mines (GoV).
    99 DNC
    99 WHM
    99 WAR
    * 99 THF
    99 BLM * 99 RDM *
    99 PUP

TWASHTAR

Comment

More like he is from another time.

Dunes parties were pretty fun back when I started playing XI. Having players actually gather in Selbina or the zone to the Highlands was pretty nice back when I started playing. Sometimes high level players (and by high I mean lvl 40 or 50) went to the dunes just to help others. And seeing a player in full AF was a freaking big deal. XD

Heck I actually got my skull for sub quest thanks to a PLD and a THF that offered to help people who needed it, back then I didn't even know what "to zone" meant. And once I was high enough I went back to the dunes from time to time to help people too. Also met people in my starting days I'd play with for years, contrary to more recent times.

PS > I miss the legendary Citadel trains. Very good times were had back then even if leveling was slow. XD
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Squiggs View Post
        You're a masochist.
        Are you serious? The dunes were my favorite part of leveling. XD

Mostly because I had the most fun playing my redmage there when the game first came out, and got killed by the high level ram that roamed Konschat Highlands when I was runing into the dunes the first time. LMAO. Scared me so damn badly.

Comment

PS > I miss the legendary Citadel trains. Very good times were had back then even if leveling was slow. XD
          Yhoator's are the most memorable for me. They might not have the largest mob count, but they tended to persist for a good half an hour (because people are dumb), and were frequent enough to make zoning into Yhoator dead a real possibility.

Comment

Yeah but Citadel trains also had a chance of Serket being there at the entrance as well if someone got really unlucky with aggro.
            Last edited by Firewind; 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM. Reason: double post
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

That sounds hilarious. I never had the pleasure of watching that happen. I wouldn't have expected anyone to live long enough to drag it to the entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                That sounds hilarious. I never had the pleasure of watching that happen. I wouldn't have expected anyone to live long enough to drag it to the entrance.
                Redmages with a white mage could easily do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Squiggs View Post
                  You're a masochist.On topic: The Dunes are dead, and have been for much longer than a year. Low levelling is done either solo (FoV in starter area or LTP/Kon/Tah) or in parties/alliances in Gusgen Mines (GoV).
                  What can I say? I met good people there! Granted, I had a lot of crappy experiences too. Maybe my memories are clouded because it's been so long...Thanks. I heard back when I first started again last year that Dunes PTs were a thing of the past but my friend was in one yesterday so I thought I'd see if they still happen!Thanks for the answers all.

Comment

My favorite leveling area was probably Boyahda Tree and beyond; it may sound odd but I always felt that class distinction and uniqueness really didn't happen until your post 50's. I loved setting up level 3 SC's and just crushing mobs (crabs) from full to dead that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                      Redmages with a white mage could easily do it.
                      Or a Paladin or Thief using their Two Hour abilities.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                        Or a Paladin or Thief using their Two Hour abilities.
                        True... But where would the fun be if there was no challenge to it? XD

I still remember falling down the holes in the citadel trying to get to the door and me freezing up cause I fell face to face with Serket and a party fighting him one day on my ranger lol.

Comment

Honestly, of all the horror stories there are regarding Valkurm Dunes . . .

They're all lies, all designed to distract you from the true horror of this game, so that it gets you before you even realize what's happening. Yes, my friends, I speak of the monster known as Qufim Island.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Lmao.... Qufim Island....

That Island wasn't that bad, unless you where a nin, and tanking the worms. Insta-Death. >.<

Comment

I'm still not sure what idiot thought "wide open space" constitutes a viable camp in Qufim and set that terrible ball rolling.

Comment

Working...
                              X