SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

I don't know if it's just me, but kicking the crap out of your friends in Diorama-Abdaljs Ghelsba is the best part of the game. You know, we spend our entire FFXI careers leveling and obtaining the best armor for out jobs, I don't know about you, but the first thing I want to do with it is pit it against my friends to see who will reign victorious.

That being said, I would really love to see changes to Ballista, changes that will make more players actually interested in it. What are your opinions? Since I'm really shocked it's not as popular as it should be.

*Also, I would be for a "Duel" option when you target another player, he has to accept / no exp loss.
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: SE needs to put more into the PVP aspect of the game

Meh, if I wanted a PvP game I'd go play a PvP game. In a MMORPG the PvP crowd tends to drive me away from the game/community more than anything else. I want to go on epic questy adventures, not participate in an endless tea-bagging festival.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

SE does not like PvP that much. If you want PvP, go play Fantasy Earth Zero, WoW, or even Guild Wars. Play a game thats based around PvP. The thing about PvP is that it can make a games community go from a great community to a horrible one.

Comment

FFXI has horrible mechanics for PvP. I'd rather play SFIV for my pvp fix. :D.
        Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ufgt View Post
          FFXI has horrible mechanics for PvP. I'd rather play SFIV for my pvp fix. :D.
          SFIV?

Well anyways... The only thing that the FFXI PvP is, is that its more realistic than the other games. Unlike taking like 10k hits to die, it takes 2-3 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
            I don't know if it's just me, but kicking the crap out of your friends in Diorama-Abdaljs Ghelsba is the best part of the game.
            It's just you.

Comment

PvP is the backbone to any good MMO, that's fact. Humans are naturally competitive. In my opinion, even without PvP FFXI is great, making PvP a little more interesting would attract a wide variety of players to the game/give a harmless past-time to those interested in it.

I'm not talking about being killed while you're afk, or any stupid shit like that. My old LS used to host Dioramas randomly with the whole LS, nothing has come close to the excitement. I don't mean scoring petras either, I'm talking about good old fashion 1v1s.
              Last edited by Tipsy; 05-26-2010, 02:56 AM.
              In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
              And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
              Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
              Yeah, It’s true.
              It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

PvP is the backbone to any good MMO, that's fact.
                Tagging "that's fact" on to a statement doesn't make it credible. Most good MMOs treat PvP as an afterthought, the ones who try and make it an integral part of the game such as AoC, Warhammer, and Aoin fail hard. One issue I have with PvP integrated into predominantly PvE games is the fact changes are made to the latter due to complaining about the former. You can just go look at the anger and disgust on the WoW forums from players who are fed up with their classes being ruined because of the butthurt whining of PvP'ers. That and the fact games like FFXI are balanced around party mechanics where jobs complement one another rather than all being one man armies like the paladins and druids of WoW.
                Last edited by Grizzlebeard; 04-24-2010, 03:01 AM.

Comment

@Tak, thanks for the recommendation, but all the other MMOs suck in comparison, PvP tweaks would just make FFXI all the more better.
                  If they did make tweaks to PvP, then all the jobs wont be balanced like they are now, and wont need one anouther to survive in the PvE world.

Not all good games are great with PvP see: WoW. Just as you said, it sucks but wait... You said that all games with PvP are good... Hmmm...

PvP in certain games just suck, this happens to be one. If they wanted to put in PVP and have it balanced, then most of the jobs wont need to party up in order to gain exp, witch i what this game is about.

Comment

PvP is the backbone to any good MMO
                    That gurgling noise you hear is the sound of all your credibility being flushed down the drain.
                    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                    Name: Drjones
                    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

No comment from me. I enjoyed FFXI just fine for 5 years without participating in the PvP
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Ballista & Brenner both suck. They were somewhat fun until SE started nerfing the hell out of everything;

- Nukes cut in half
                        - Equipment swap penalties even for ammo (making Xbow RNG useless)
                        - Multi-hit weaponskills cut back dramatically in power
                        - Ranged Attack nerf in general made PvP completely un-fun for RNG since people will just close with you and your accuracy would go all to hell.
                        - SMN is a joke in PvP
                        - RDM, BLM SAM & Dominate.
                        - Too many cheapos subbing Ninja.

I could go on. It was novel at first but it wore out quickly after the 1st server-wide championship (perhaps if SE had kept that alive people would still care) and you don't need PvP for an MMO to be fun. There's plenty of things to do in XI, as there undoubtably be in XIV as well.

If you really want PvP that badly, WoW is that way.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

FFXI's mechanics simply do not fit PVP. Ballista and Brenner are fun for fucking around, but too messed up to attract serious competition. The only MMO I've seen where PVP was actually very well handled was EVE-- and that's because they designed the game from the perspective of players interacting with players, not NPCs. The downside of that is that the PVE is pretty laughable, and you don't get epic stories like you do in FFXI. It feels like a real world, which is cool, but you lose a lot of the mystery, discovery, intrigue, personal drama, and so on that you get in a game like FFXI. Neither way is better, but there's not much middle ground.

If anything, SE should add in more competitive minigames. Maybe that card game people have been chattering about for so long. The way to have competition between players in XI is to first design a system where there's a point in competing for everyone, and not "X job with Y cheap strategy".

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                            No comment from me. I enjoyed FFXI just fine for 5 years without participating in the PvP
                            I agree 100%. Imo, PvP is for people that want to swing their epeen around and get that "I'm better than you so I'm awesome" feeling. I don't have epeen and I am confident in my gaming skills so I really don't need a pat on the back.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                              I agree 100%. Imo, PvP is for people that want to swing their epeen around and get that "I'm better than you so I'm awesome" feeling. I don't have epeen and I am confident in my gaming skills so I really don't need a pat on the back.
                              now this is not true to be honest, I dont really like PvP myself, but I do find it fun, to beable to spare with friends and guild/linkshell friends, when and if we wanted to.

I did not feel like looking for it before, but I went ahead and grabbed all the posts I made on the subject we where talking about. Now please do take what I have here as "omg has to be this way" this is just a rough idea others and I where tossing around one day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                              We have all see the many ways PvP has been added to FFXI, and how other MMORPGs have handled PvP.
                              For FFXIV, the type I would like to see, would be of a Colosseum type of PvP.
                              Add the Colosseum to a big neutral city, and make it so people could watch, but not interfere (in the stands) and allow different types of fights to take place (1v1 or party v party) then add in prizes, entry fees, and player made tournaments. (Players could just pay entry fees to fight each other or join a player made tournament for guild funded prizes)
                              SE could go all over with this idea, adding a point system to buy prizes or something alike and a safety net so the system as a whole could not be exploited.
                              Of course no EXP loss in these fights, and even fight rules could be set.

I know that many do not like PvP, and I to dont care for it all that much, but I love things like Colosseums and would love to see something like this added for fun.
                              Quote from another poster:
                              "If this ever happens, I hope spectators can bet on the bouts. =D "

I was thinking of this as well, I would watch and bet if it was there ;p

Player1: "hey guys there is this fight against Cyrus today!"

Me: "what!? Cyrus no joke?"

Player1: "no come on lets go check this out"

Me: *puts down 1,000 gil down on Cyrus "this is going to be sweet"

This would be cool to see on a SAT or SUN morning, when you really don't have anything to do that day.
                              "I love PvP, but the whole "game" aspect of FFXI killed it for me."

yeah I did not like that myself, this would be more of a competition, rather then a "game" though. It would be just fighting, no odd game to it, but in a tournament style environment.
                              "I don't like PvP but I like this idea. Then maybe the really bad players who think they're good will shut up and listen after realizing how bad they are. "

This is why I thought of it the way I did, it lets the people that love PvP go at each other and win prizes. It also lets the people that really don't like PvP to softly fiddle in it, if they ever want to, and they too will win prizes.

Its a type of PvP that both sides could enjoy when/if they wanted to, and its a great way to entertain as well.
                              Yeah there would need to be many check and balances to make sure the system was not exploited.

all prizes would be bought with Colosseum points (CP)

Normal match (cost gil to setup)
                              -no set rules, just normal PvP fighting
                              -Ending this match will grant the winner and looser a set number of CP, based on party members of both teams

Advanced match (cost CP to setup)
                              -rules for the match can be set (aka no magic or no items)
                              -Ending this match will grant the winner CP, based on party members of both teams

Tournament match set (cost CP and gil to setup)
                              -Rules for the whole tournament can be set
                              -once tournament is setup, the creator is asked to trade items for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize (can be weapon, armor, gil, anything that is normally tradable and or AH able)
                              -once prizes are traded, the creator is given a self replicating item (think Dynamis hourglass)that can be traded to anyone that wants into the tournament (can also be bazaared to charge an entry fee to the event.

GM Tournament (costs nothing for players)
                              -Special type of tournament that is started by a GM, all prizes are set by the hosting GM and set in his bazaar for 0 gil (free entry)
                              "I'm not on the PvP side at all, but if it's made into a controlled town, arena etc, then that would be the best balance of things for everyone. Don't do it everywhere so a level 75 could challenge to a duel a level 1 (**cough, WoW, cough**) in outside areas and the harrassing that player when he refuses. "

Yeah this is pretty much my point on the idea of a Colosseum, it can be placed in the middle of a big town, and people could get their PvP on, while winning prizes , and the people that don't like PvP can stay out of it, or even watch for entertainment if they wanted.

Now this is cut from another forum, one that I can not link to nor share the names of the other posters, this is not even the who conversation, because I had to cut alot of it out, because it refereed to things of the FFXIV nature.

Just posted what I said mainly anyway, to get my idea as a whole in the picture.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X