Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check sucks.

Anyone have this happen to them?

I'm in East Sarutabaruta leveling Red Mage, I'm level 10. Check a Giant Bee, Easy Prey.

I'm only missing like..4 HP and 5 MP off of max (something like 94 HP and 95 MP), Dia -> Water -> auto-attack.

It's first attack is a crit for 19 damage. My Dia hits it's initial 1 damage, and my Water hits for a measly 4 damage.

IT CRITS AGAIN for 22 Damage. I miss it.

Cure, I only gain 8 HP, it CRITS AGAIN for 14 damage. I get another Water casting, it connects for 6 damage.

This time it doesn't crit, but hits for 8 damage. By this time, I have like 24 HP, and I'm just marvelled by this 'easy prey' is kicking my butt. I didn't have any buffs on at the time (as a matter of fact, I think I had Dia status effect when I checked it)

It uses it's Final Sting and connects for the remaining HP, and I die.

Seriously, what the hell. After going back to the area around where I died, some of the Giant Bee's were checking EP and some DC....I think there was one in there that was EM....is this normal? Everything else except the Pug Pugils in the area checked EP...but these things were damn near impossible, if I beat them, even if they checked EP, I was in the red HP and had to /heal for a while to get my HP back up....the exp was worth it...but why such the varient?

Re: Check sucks.

LMAO I remember those days..
    A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

Bad luck does not mean it's broken. Bad luck is bad luck.

Start complaining in about 10-20 levels when every Easy Prey will wipe the floors with you no matter what you do (depending on the job).

Icemage

Comment

...I....never said it was broken. I was just asking why the extreme offset? Why are some as low as easy prey and some as high as Even Match? Simple question, nowhere in my post does it say 'This is broken.' or anything similar.

Comment

1- given the ones around it were EM-DC, that was probably a very high EP.

2- I know it seems counterintuitive, but as a mage, you really shouldn't bother too much with spells until you're in parties. Below a certain level, when you're soloing, you're going to be better off just hitting things with an old stick.

I started the same way as a Black Mage-- when I finally stopped screwing around town and went to kill something, my first attack was casting Stone. I nearly lost that battle, as all I did was stand back and cast magic on it. It wasn't until later that I realized that at low levels, it's better to just cast spells until it gets close, to give yourself the advantage in HP (you can hit it, it can't hit you), and then to just whack away until it dies, unless you really need help (cures, for example).

Comment

When you check it and it says high evasion and defense, make sure you have enough mp to cure/nuke because it could wipe the floor with you even if its easy prey. It's just SE's little way of saying "HA HA isn't this game FUN??" LOL
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Something tells me your skills aren't capped, too.

For future reference /check only considers level. Don't expect Easy Prey slimes or ghosts to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by armando View Post
                something tells me your skills aren't capped, too.

For future reference /check only considers level. Don't expect easy prey slimes or ghosts to be easy.
                qft

Comment

Oh ya...skills. A player that has a higher level job already has an easier time when leveling a new job. Their evasion skills, skill of the weapon they are using, shield skill, etc can already be worked up giving them an advantage. If you are brand new, you are still working on leveling these up with every fight so thats why another playing fighting might look like they are having an easier time than you. They have points in those skills already and you do not. But even a seasoned player can get blindsided by an EP so don't think that it only happens to newer players. Just think of it like this, when you are higher level you'll laugh at the times you got creamed by an EP. It can make for some very fond memories. ^^
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

As a mage you really need to be using buffs when you fight. At that level you have Protect, use it. The dia status means that as well as constant HP drain your defence is lowered allowing the bee to hit for higher damage than normal. I'm guessing you're new to the game and don't yet have a support job, they can help even the odds a bit. Casting water isn't a great help, Bees don't have a peticualr weakness to it, seeing its initial damage it would have been a better idea to rely on melee attacks. Red mages excel in enfeebling magic a lot more than elemental magic, try debuffing the mobs you're fighting, stick on paralyze, blind and maybe even poison too. They should make things a little easier.

Also, make sure you have signet on. It offers bonuses against mobs below EM.
                    Last edited by Kafeen; 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jguy View Post
                      Why are some as low as easy prey and some as high as Even Match?
                      Simple, mobs have varying levels. The bees that are checking at EM are obviously the higher level bees in that group. Typically the further into the zone you go the higher the level of the monster. And just to echo what everyone else has been saying, once you reach a certain level even "easy prey" can be considered "impossible to gauge" because they'll kick your butt.

The fact mobs have varying level can make things really interesting (read: annoying) later on when you're trying to do Fields of Valor and you need 4 of a monster but only one in three you find check as easy prey; the others check too weak and don't count towards FoV. Ugh. (Yeah, frustration here )
                      [Name: Iyouboushi] [Race: Hume] [Gender: Male] [Nation: Bastok] [Rank: 5]
                      [Jobs: WAR: 47 | MNK: 55 | WHM: 51 | BLM: 49 | RDM: 87 | THF: 34 | PLD: 34 | DRK: 7 | BST: 40 | RNG: 39 | SAM: 99 | NIN: 67 | DRG: 18 | SMN: 20 | BLU: 58 | COR: 76 | PUP: 17 | DNC: 49]
                      [Crafts: Fishing: 12.8 | Alchemy: 6.7 | Bonecraft: 7.6 | Clothcraft: 7.7 | Cooking: 56 | Leathercraft: 4.0 | Smithing: 2.3 | Goldsmithing: 4.5 | Woodworking: 21.6] [Guild Points: 20305]

Comment

Working...
                      X