Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses" Trailer Goes Live! (07/10/2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses" Trailer Goes Live! (07/10/2009)

Yeah I'm not concerned about SE going Novelette on XIV, but I'd hope they learned how bad it is for gil to have such an effect on the gameplay and they tone it down next time.

I think a Campaign-like system to obtain the most useful gear is the way to go.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: "A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses" Trailer Goes Live! (07/10/2009)

We knew right from the day we had the previous mini-expansion that the others would follow a similar structure and flow just based on the reward scheme.
      But that one interview said they were going to put more meat into the missions. So much for that.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 for 6 BCs and like 3 fetch quests. I do mind paying $10 for 3 BCs and 6 fetch quests though.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        Are all you guys capable of just bitching and whining anymore?

We knew right from the day we had the previous mini-expansion that the others would follow a similar structure and flow just based on the reward scheme.

And stop this crap about "people are buying it just for the end reward" - those random augmented items are a pretty nice incentive to repeat these missions. We don't know what augments are going down this time, either, they could be different things. Had I the time right now to play, I'd be all over repeating some of these missions just for the augmented gears for my RNG and BST. Its randomized, sure, but you never know, you might get something else useful.

Finally, we're doing missions in what's supposed to be zones that were designed for level 50 play at best, that and this one is themed around moogles. Can't say I'm surprised its pretty basic fetch-quest stuff with boss fights thrown in, considering many of the quests and missions in the game are just that - fetchquests and boss fights. Sure, CoP had some variety, but nooooooo you and everyone else had to complain about that, so now SE makes missions like these.

Also, you never got WotG missions for free, you paid $30 dollars to get in on day one.
        When we get crap, we call it crap. When we get good, we call it good. And yes, I knew the expansionettes would all follow the same structure as ACP, and that's why I didn't buy it. The structure of these expansionettes is needlessly garbage, nothing but a chain of time sinks with a carrot at the end for you to chase. The problem is, if this is the kind of "expansion" content SE feels is acceptable after WotG is finished, then there will be nothing left for FFXI.

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, people are buying these "expansionettes" just for the gear at the end. It's certainly not because the story or quests are fun, because they're 0/2 on that. Promethia is a fun final fight, you can go in with a decent balanced pt and have a tough fight. Alexander is a fun final fight, you can go in with a decent balanced pt and have a tough fight. ACP is a trash final fight because unless you flood it with Smns, Rngs or Chainstunning Rdms, you're going to get your ass kicked repeatedly. And no other expansion or even quest line flaunted the final reward like these expansionettes do. Those items and their augments are the biggest draw for these mission lines. Especially since we now know how bad they can be.

I've used these zones for lvl 75 fights before, RotZ 8 in Fulcrum the and Bastok 10 in the Throneroom. However, the whole concept of using these zones for high level missions loses some value when they force a level cap on you for no reason. Now I've done the tower climb on a mid 30 job before, with a pt of people in their mid 30s. Long before ACP, level synch hell even ToAU, I took a bunch of friends who needed the mission, got on a lower level job, and we fought our way up and it was a blast. But you don't do that for ACP. And I even took a group with people no higher then 60 all the way to the throne room to do 5-2, and it was fun...but easy. And again, not something that's done in MKD either. I've been in these zones before, they're not new to me so how is having to do more missions there mean it's a good thing?

The ToAU missions only had one fetch quest, and it wasn't even that hard. Hell, the only bad part about the ToAU mission chain was the JP midnights, without those it'd be perfect imo. I see no reason they couldn't follow a similar structure to those, where you get CS, do quests that are actually engaging and not a waste of time, and fight more then three fights. Now if complaining about CoP missions (which weren't all that hard, and were in fact a lot of time wasting random mobs and travel) could effect such a major change for the better (and ToAU and WotG missions are better imo) then why would we not complain about the expansionette crap in hopes that we can improve their missions for the better?

p.s. I got a lot more for my 30 bucks in WotG then I'll ever get if I buy all three of the expansionettes.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
          As much as I hate to admit it, yes, people are buying these "expansionettes" just for the gear at the end. It's certainly not because the story or quests are fun, because they're 0/2 on that.
          There are people who are even worse, people who buy it not for the stories, nor for the gear.

They just buy it because SE released it, and that's it. (Would they call themselves Completionists? o_O ) Because they have to catch 'em all even if they don't know what they are going to do with it and don't care if it's worth it or not.

Fortunately they are a rare breed but still scary none the less. >_<
          Last edited by Raydeus; 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: &quot;A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses&quot; Trailer Goes Live! (07/10/2009)

I know of the completionists, as odd as they may seem, if it's just a video game series they "must" have they should consider themselves lucky.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Re: &quot;A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses&quot; Trailer Goes Live! (07/10/2009)

A Moogle Kupo dEtat

It's scary how accurate this video ended up being. Evil in Small Doses indeed.

I'm scared that the only way Red Mages are ever going to new melee armor from now on is to buy it and slap it on a magey model.
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

The expansionettes could use a little more thought put into them, but I doubt FFXI will see any new overarching, plot-based missions in the future. From a beginner's perspective, there's already too much to do. Even if the content is completely soloable, three nation missions, RotZ missions, CoP missions, ToAU missions, and WotG missions aren't something you can knock out in any reasonable amount of time. So on top of them being extremely long, albeit enoyable almost every step of the way, you must assemble a party to accomplish almost everything you're tasked with during these missions. It's not feasible for a beginner to accomplish any large part of this, in addition to leveling, farming, crafts, etc.

The game is too big, and I wouldn't be surprised if expansionettes are all they do from now on. It's a shame, too, because there's so much more about Vana'diel that would be awesome to experience. Visiting the Mithran, Elvaan, or Orcish homelands could be done through expansionettes, but I think a lot of detail would be left out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                  And no other expansion or even quest line flaunted the final reward like these expansionettes do.
                  Very good point, when I think about it no other expansion in any other game has essentially been so blatant as to say, "This is what you'll get when you give us your money." Anyone who believes the majority of the people who bought this add-on after ACP did so for any other reason than the final reward is deluding themselves.

Comment

There is very little SE can do for Shantotto Ascension that'll redeem the previous 2 add-ons. Not doing any more expansions and instead continuing to release add-ons will piss off everyone for sure.

Comment

They just buy it because SE released it, and that's it. (Would they call themselves Completionists? o_O ) Because they have to catch 'em all even if they don't know what they are going to do with it and don't care if it's worth it or not.
                      I don't see the fault in wanting to be able to have access to all the missions. Missions are probably what I look forward to more than anything in the game, so I would naturally get the mini-expansions, too. Say what you want about the ACP missions , but the Qu'Nia and Stellar Fulcrum fights were very fun. I'd do them again and there's reason to do them again, so clearly I'm getting my money's worth there.

I buy anything Shin Megami Tensei. I'll be getting a PSP for Persona and Dissidia, those were the games that finally tipped to scale for me. If Atlus confirms a new main series SMT for PS3 on the 24th, guess what? I'm getting a PS3.

Its not the only reason, but everyone's a big fan of something and they'll go to the lengths they see as reasonable to get things related to it. I don't understand the appeal of Twilight, but my sister now goes out and buys Twilight-related stuff. She usually wrinkles her nose at fantasy, comic book or sci-fi, but apparently romantic stories about chaste vampires do something for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        I'm scared that the only way Red Mages are ever going to new melee armor from now on is to buy it and slap it on a magey model.
                        Maybe I'm wrong here, but pretty sure most RDMs don't care that much about meleeing. The ones who do are typically labeled as bad anyway. Just saying. I mean I realize you like the jack of all trades in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work for the sake of this game.

Expansion? Meh, didn't touch it. I kinda hate that I'm missing out on it a little, but I can't even bring myself to log in, let alone spend an extra $10 that I don't really have right now on something that, from all accounts, isn't worth the money.

If FFXI continues with just mini-expansions similar to these instead of major expansions, I do expect it to die. Probably slowly, but well, you could say that its death is already starting.
                        sigpic
                        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

/jump /jump

Me! Me! Me!

I do care. Though I'm probably one of the bad ones.

I don't expect RDM to ever get access to the cool items (even the RMT piece of body armor is pretty subpar with it's magey stats), and I'm not going to buy the expansion to get a decent WS head piece so...

Meh, screw it, as long as my gear is good enough for me to Campaign and try to solo missions I don't really care anymore.

Still have to get the cool Campaign items and things like Brutal so is not like I don't have room to improve my melee sets even without the unattainable items.
                          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                            Maybe I'm wrong here, but pretty sure most RDMs don't care that much about meleeing. The ones who do are typically labeled as bad anyway. Just saying.
                            You know Red Mage as nothing more than a merit-whore job for your White Mage, anyway, so pretty much anything you say on the issue is null and void at this point. Screw you. You and everything you stand for.
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Excuse me? No, I never used RDM as a Chainstunner on KV or DL, I never brought my RDM to lowman farm SCNM, I never brought my RDM to Khimaira or Fafnir. Nope, I just merit whore it. Considering the fact that I haven't merited in over six months, that's what I use RDM for only though. I've never kited. Never did duo ENMs with another RDM. Never duoed sky NMs. I don't know anything about the job. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the millions of gil I've put into gearing it mean absolutely nothing, right? That just means I want it to look pretty, instead of being actually effective at endgame.

You think I don't know what RDMs want? Psh. I don't play it for a number of reasons, one of which that my linkshell has about 20 RDMs and I'm needed more on WHM. However, I do know that most RDMs don't give a flying shit about meleeing because that isn't what we're good at. I'll give you that RDM can be effective at meleeing but it's not optimal in pretty much any situation, certainly not for the things that I spent my time doing in FFXI.

Just because I don't consider something my main job doesn't mean I don't know how to play it, how to enjoy it, how to gear it, or anything else you think I don't know about it. Yes, I choose to merit on RDM over WHM given the chance, but that isn't the only reason I use my RDM. I think you might want to check yourself.
                              sigpic
                              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Wow so angry, i like em feisty hehehe

Comment

Working...
                                X