account stolen can you guys help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• account stolen can you guys help me

My son has an account that is level 75 and has had him for several years thus he had money and awsome gear until stolen.
    We changed to foxfire noscript, POL gave him back after a rollback around June 29 of this year.
    After we got him back we kept the new password POL gave us and he was stolen again July 3 even with NOSCript on firefox so I got a playstation so they can not steal him again. But POL WILL NOT roll him back again and give us the characters stuff back.
    As we have had him for years and never had to roll him back with the exception of the first time stolen June of this year i think they should roll him back for us.
    Who can I turn to for help?
    I by the way have another old account with a level 75 I use to play with my son and another for when friends are over. They were stolen the first time in June but not the second time. Their passwords were changed AFTER POL added the thing where you use no keyboard to put in a password. Had we changed the password of my sons account after the POL no keyboard change he may not have been stolen again. But hes worthless without his gear and money.
    If we can not get them to roll him back my Attorney said we could file a class action case that will help everyone this has happened to but I had rather just have the character rolled back without all that. As I do not want to continue paying for the 3 accounts,waiting for a lawsuit when my son will not play his account any more without his gear and gil.
    If we can not get them to roll him back and I let the attorney sue we will cancel the accounts and just play another game rather than pay for the accounts and wait the lawsuit out.
    If I have called POL and they said no second rollback is there another to call before I let the attorneys have the case?
    Thank you,
    Kaye
    PS I read your page on how to fix Firefox after the fact. Noscript was the only one we were told about before I read that. We will use your advice so we don't loose any other games.

Re: account stolen can you guys help me

First off, don't get a lawyer. Most will laugh at you. If you did get one to take your case, SquareEnix has a thousand and one tricks to get out of any lawsuit.

Secondly, how did this happen? I can only think of two ways. The first is even though you got Firefox and NoScript, you already had a keylogger on your computer. Once a virus is on your computer, stopping new ones from downloading will not get rid of the old ones. The second possibility is that you gave your account information to a "friend" and they stole your stuff.
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
      First off, don't get a lawyer. Most will laugh at you. If you did get one to take your case, SquareEnix has a thousand and one tricks to get out of any lawsuit.

Secondly, how did this happen? I can only think of two ways. The first is even though you got Firefox and NoScript, you already had a keylogger on your computer. Once a virus is on your computer, stopping new ones from downloading will not get rid of the old ones. The second possibility is that you gave your account information to a "friend" and they stole your stuff.
      I ran everything I could find no virus found but was told a keylogger program got me as i may have had foxfire running when i started FFXI. As for the attorney its a hugh law firm and one guy is a friend who has found a loop hole and way to help me but you are correct law suits are not a good way to go. I just hate loosing all these years developing characters when all POL has to do is roll it back. We would have to cancel all 3 accounts if we can not play the one.
      Looks like I may just cancel the accounts after all these years we played. My son said it was hopeless for FFXI will not roll his character back and we can start new with the new game WAR Hammer. He likes EVE too but I like us playing FFXI more. although Eve seems to have few kids playing for its not an easy game building the best ship and learning the best skills in the best order. He has ships that takes years to build and no one steals those accounts. This makes me really sick as we have play since the FFXI first came out. I guess I will let my friend sue them and cancel the accounts. He is doing it as a class action so that will at least help others. And the friends we have will get rich after we pass out the stuff we have on the other two accounts just wish we could pass out all that rare/ex stuff we worked so hard for. We have had so many friends leave over the years I guess it should not make me feel so bad but I hate the way the company is so mean by not rolling the character back. I hope War hammer and some of th other games do so good they loose all their players it would serve them right for being so mean. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you never need help for they only go out of their way for you one time and thats not once a year its one time even if you have played for years. Looks like they would help you more if you have played for years. Take care, Mira
      Last edited by mira; 07-24-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

yes you need to go back to pol chat and ask for a data rollback my husband just got off the phone with the manager of pol and he said you are aloud 2 rollbacks a charater rollback and a data rollback. so you should be able to get your account back hope this helps. data rollback includes everything so you dont have to worry about items being missing at all

Comment

Originally posted by malynn View Post
          yes you need to go back to pol chat and ask for a data rollback my husband just got off the phone with the manager of pol and he said you are aloud 2 rollbacks a charater rollback and a data rollback. so you should be able to get your account back hope this helps. data rollback includes everything so you don't have to worry about items being missing at all
          Thank you for the response but the data roll back is too late for me. We gave up as the company began holding us on the phone for hours and if we did get them they refused to help including one manager we talked too. He did not offer us the data roll back.
          If anyone wants to stop the company from doing this there is a class action lawsuit started that will wake them up and make them more user friendly for those who want to keep playing.
          As for me and my son we loved the game and have been playing since one week after they started in the US. That was a lot of years I hated to loose. Not only did they refuse to roll that character back one character had had a name change. FFXI would not give me the name back as someone else had our name when they tried to roll it back. Rather than telling the new person the name was given to them by a mistake they refused to help me so my friends saw my name under another player and no longer knew my character when they saw her. I could take no more from the FFXI support team and we began the WAR beta.
          Also you are charged an extra $25.00 to roll your character back to your server, and that is after you have paid for the time you could not play while it is stolen. If you too have been charged unjustly send me your phone number and you state and I will give it to the attorneys to include you in the lawsuit. As for non US the lawsuit, at this time,will help you only as FFXI will be more user friendly.
          Last edited by mira; 09-24-2008, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Firstly don't anyone send your phone number, you don't know the person, if indeed this is the case and a law suit is being made then details of the solicitor (sorry lawyer) should be published for the players to check with before and register anything with them direct not through the OP.

Right to your points...

You are saying this is the second time it has happened. Well I'm sorry but after the first don't you think you should be more careful with the security of the computer.

Today the majority of the virus's and key loggers that would affect FFXI accounts i.e. phishing virus's, key loggers etc. would be detected by most virus software, even the free ones like avast and avg. You should have firewall, zonealarm as minimum and have on your machine a spyware search tool i.e. adaware or spybot search and destroy. everywhere you look to do with computers these things are nailed into you. Ignorance is not a defence.

You say the account got stolen again 5 days after it was given back. Did you check thoroughly your computer for virus's, spyware etc. The fact of the matter is your asking for another rollback 5 days after you received one. That will start ringing alarm bells in SE.

From what you are saying this piece of software which you insist your security can't find has stolen it again, but you also say you did not change your sons password which is the password of the account that was stolen again.

The facts SE will bring up is:-
            1. You didn't change the password
            2. It is the users responsibility to protect their computer from viruses and spyware and take responsibility for it (check the TOS, its in there)
            3. Why are you suing for money when you pay to play the game the items you receive have no value and you have lost no money as you pay to play the game, each month you play you have paid for the right to play.

In fact they will quote this from their TOS of which by installing the game and playing it you legally agree to be bound by.

"5.4 Account Management.
            You are solely responsible for all use of your Play Online user account and for the security of your User information (including, without limitation, your password).
            "

What really niggles me is something happens and its instantly "I'm going to sue your ass" What are you hoping to gain from it?
            How much money do you want to sue for and what is that money for? considering Point 3 above.

Another question I'll ask is how old is your son? Is he over 13? if yes ok. if No let me point out that you are not allowed to play if you are under the age of 13 whether you have a guardian or parent watching or not its in their TOS and you would be held in breach of the TOS for allowing this.

To end I will also add their TOS for Ownership of the character...

"YOU DO NOT OWN YOUR ACCOUNT OR CHARACTER OR HAVE ANY PROPERTY RIGHTS TO YOUR CHARACTER OR ITS VIRTUAL ASSETS. YOU MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR REPRODUCE YOUR CHARACTER OR ITS VIRTUAL ASSETS FOR ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE."

It has no value, their is nothing to claim on all you should do is cancel the content ID for that character (means you pay no more but your character data is NOT deleted) and use the others until either it is sorted out with SE, and use the chat option of the website (costs nothing and I've found you get through to a representative quicker) or carry on threatening to sue them which will mean they will get the TOS you agreed to out and pick every minute detail out of it to prove you have no case and the more you go down that route the less they will be willing to help you.

What you also have not posted is the circumstances of how it got abused, your tone to the SE employees on the phone and how well you have protected your computer.

I am sceptical about allot of things people post here about stolen accounts as their normally is much that person is not telling. And what do you think we can do about it here on the forum, we are not SE, you have contacted SE thats all we can tell you to do.

Before you post any transcripts of discussions with SE, pelae be aware of 3.1 (h)
            "In addition, SEI does not consent to or authorize any recording or reproduction of any communications between SEI and you. You may not record, reproduce or publish any communication with SEI. In addition to any other rights or remedies that SEI may have, you may also be subject to criminal and civil sanctions and fines."
            Last edited by Jarre; 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about what happened to your account and that S.E really wont help out its members. Then again it is S.E and their actions on FFXI will and have caused allot of potential customers for years to come to look away at any S.E mmo that comes out in the future.

ITs nice to bring up all the bylaws in the ToS agreement. But all you need to say was that its only purpose was to keep players from suing S.E. Otherwise it means nothing, and is a waste of paper it was printed on.

Go play Warhammer, not to sure how good it is but they already banned something like 400 gold farmers in its first week. Something S.E waited 3 fucking years to do.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Wow, Jarre. You got the ToS memorized? Or....

Well anyway, this isn't the first MMO I've played where they had a lousy ToS that they themselves violate at will. If you can get a lawyer to take the case, go for it. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of holes to crawl through in that thing. And other players willing to get some clink clink outta it. But if you're serious about it, then Jarre's right about posting legal info instead of asking for emails.

This:
                Before you post any transcripts of discussions with SE, pelae be aware of 3.1 (h)
                "In addition, SEI does not consent to or authorize any recording or reproduction of any communications between SEI and you. You may not record, reproduce or publish any communication with SEI. In addition to any other rights or remedies that SEI may have, you may also be subject to criminal and civil sanctions and fines."
                Is just funny right there. Because they send you copies of your chat transcripts after using the SEI chat. So they claim they don't authorize -any- recording, reproduction etc of communications? They record it and send it to you themselves. So yeah, it's just a bunch of baloney to scare people into not suing them. I'm sure there's plenty of other examples of SE breaking their own ToS.

Idly, in the past I might of been in the mood to defend SE too... probably not to the extent of digging up ToS clauses, still... I used to think the same way and be skeptical of people claiming SE did them wrong or that the staff treated them like jerks. But not lately. Not anymore. I couldn't possibly care less if someone decides to sue, and here's hoping it does some good, although I doubt it will. :/
                We know the characters aren't real, we just don't care. :3

Comment

I'm having some trouble digging up much sympathy here. You already knew that something you were doing on that computer was compromising security on your FFXI account after the first occurrence, and yet you didn't take any steps to fix it, and it got stolen again.

I'm quite certain that Square-Enix informed you when they rolled back the character the last time that it could only be done once, which leaves any legal action on very shaky ground.

Not that I care one whit whether Square-Enix gets slapped with a lawsuit, but in this specific instance, I don't think you've got much of a leg to stand on. I've never heard of anyone getting hacked who didn't (a) visit extremely questionable sites (b) use 3rd party programs of some sort or (c) gave their password to "a friend."

Icemage

Comment

I would check your computers, no doubt you got stuff on there that is still recording information from you on other things.
                    Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                    Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                    Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                    Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                    Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Just Format and re-install your pc, the only safe way to be sure. Or let him put it on 360 or ps2/3 and that will solve ur problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
                        Firstly don't anyone send your phone number, you don't know the person, if indeed this is the case and a law suit is being made then details of the solicitor (sorry lawyer) should be published for the players to check with before and register anything with them direct not through the OP.
                        I agree 150%. Do NOT send this person your phone number. If there is actually a lawsuit in progress than this person should willingly provide the name, phone number, and address of the lawyer handling the case. If they refuse to do so, its a HUGE red flag.

A personal comment:

L......O.....L @ the lawsuit

Instead if wasting your money on one, go out and buy a new game and forget about FFXI. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I'm sorry, it's bitchy of me to do, but I'm kinda lol'ing at the fact that you were hacked and then not one week after you got the account back, you were hacked again. Reformatting works. Srsly.
                          sigpic
                          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

people still getting "hacked" wow....

I.....
                            ...played FFXI since US PC release
                            ...have Avast and Spybot installed
                            ...run scans every sunday morning
                            ...I don't go to places that offer anything related to "cheating" on MMORPGS (good place to get a key logger on your system)
                            ...never changed my POL password ONCE

and I still have my account fully intact
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

mira, is your account on Lakshmi, by any chance?
                              Lyonheart
                              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Working...
                              X