Do you consider multiboxing cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider multiboxing cheating?

I was looking up something unrelated and came across a discussion on this on a WoW forum. Basically, is someone (be it using a windower, multiple computers, a mix of consoles, or whatever else) playing multiple accounts at once cheating?

Keep in mind this is not talking about using a bot to control one of the characters, or any other things that could be considered cheating. Purely the act of using two accounts/characters at once in your gameplay.
    Yes
    19.16%
    No
    77.25%
    Other (explain in post)
    3.59%

Re: Do you consider multiboxing cheating?

No. Some people are just crybabies.

Comment

Its not cheating, but when you're using it to PL your own characters, you cheat yourself of a true solo experience.

Comment

Absolutley not. I think it is a perfectley legit way to play. Ive acctually been accused of cheating when I used to multi box, because some people felt it was unfair I always brought my 75 RDM or my bros 75 WHM (old account bro now has) around with me to solo with, help "my" party with links raises, no down time. I can see why though in certain areas with limited mobs a group that has someone dual boxing can really negate downtime causing a lack of mobs for other groups in the area.

In other terms such as fishing or harvesting etc, again I dont think its a big deal, people have paid for 2 accounts and reserve the right to do what they want with it. It would make no difference if they were playing both or if they had a family member/friend play the other so ya

I dont think it is cheating.

sig courtesy tgm
        retired -08

Comment

Of course, some people may not value a true solo experience, so they wouldn't be cheating themselves out of anything.

Comment

When I solod I only dual boxed for raise, cuz you do die from time to time and having to HP an run back out or spend oodles of money on RR items, it makes it kinda irritating.

sig courtesy tgm
            retired -08

Comment

If I had a 360 I would totally level an awesome galka with Murphie as PL. I've had plenty of solo/group experiences, and don't feel that I'd really be missing out on anything. Plus, I'd be able to work the quicksand caves switches myself! (Small victories, I take them where I can.)

Comment

lol murph, i tried running those switchers on my taru solo long time ago, no luck not fat enough need a bigger beer belly.

sig courtesy tgm
                retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                  If I had a 360
                  Why a 360? Computers that can run FFXI are insanely cheap nowadays.

I mean, I'm still bitter from having to use a 360 controller at fan fest. Do not like controllers with this game. But I mean, I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred dollars for any computer that could run FFXI.

Comment

I don't think it's cheating at all. I was enjoying the dual box experience with my second account, made the kills much quicker. But it's not really something I'd consider practical for an actual xp party unless you get really good at it. It's easy for me to make an /assist Aksannyi macro but with parties the dynamic is totally different, you might have to pull or tank.

I know people who dual box for farming. They use their thf main to do the killing and sit their other character at the zoneline naked to take all the drops, inventory fills and they go into town and NPC everything, rinse, repeat.

If you get good at it it's great in case you don't have a lot of friends to kill stuff with, sometimes having your dual-boxed character around it can be a huge help with mobs you couldn't otherwise solo.

I'm not a fan of the dual boxed PL, especially when the person doing the PLing isn't really doing anything, though I can see people's reluctance to level without PLs nowadays and it's become much easier for someone to just dual box it than to try to find a willing friend.

Like anything in FFXI, it has its good points and its bad points, but no, I don't consider it cheating. Unless they're RMT dual boxing.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I don't really care if people D.B. I mean its been going on for as long I as I can remember. The thing that drives me nuts is to hear a D.B cry how hard they have it or how awesome they are.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        Why a 360? Computers that can run FFXI are insanely cheap nowadays.

I mean, I'm still bitter from having to use a 360 controller at fan fest. Do not like controllers with this game. But I mean, I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred dollars for any computer that could run FFXI.
                        Because I don't need another computer, especially not one specifically for playing FFXI. And a 360 would give me access to a lot of other games as well.

Comment

Of course, some people may not value a true solo experience, so they wouldn't be cheating themselves out of anything.
                          Yeah but I see "Beastmasters" do it all the time, I'd say about 7 out 10 so-called BSTs do it today. You don't learn any kind of hate control with pets when you dual-box and thats essential to the job.

Additionally, for other jobs that can solo, awareness is key, when you have a PL bot following you around, that's Attention Span -20. Might not hurt you when dual boxing, but eventually when you try for real, the training wheels are gone.

Comment

If it's a person's first time at the rodeo, sure. But for most players who 2 box, they have been around the block a few times.

Woo, mixed metaphors.

Comment

a 360 would give me access to a lot of other games as well.
                              Well, I suppose that's a reasonable enough explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X