This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Crazy Idea: The Monthly Player RMT Report

Something I've been fiddling around with in the back of my head for a while.

We all know that despite the best efforts of SE, there are still some blatant RMT groups coming back over and over again, as well as other, older RMT surviving SE's sweep-and-ban tactics.

I'm sure every server can name off the top of their head at least 3 Suspected (confirmed?) RMT hunters still around that continually annoy them.

So here's what I have to suggest.

Why don't we, as a community, work together to create a monthly report, sepreated by server, of all the suspected RMT, their locations, and their common activities. Once a month, we honor the STF report with one of our own. List off the issues lingering and those surfacing again each month in one compiled report for each server.

This would be a great way of organizing the otherwise scattered player reports SE gets on certain RMT, as well as also reduce traffic through the Service and Support's STF email. This will also provide us a reminder-base for SE of certain suspected RMT that are being ignored, and give SE an opportunity to respond to us saying "Nope, we've checked this one, just a player with no life." So we can clear some people wrongfully suspected, as well as have them say "Thanks, we missed that one."

I'll be heading over to Midgardsormr forums in multiple websites to start this motive, as well as spread the idea to other websites.

So, this is what I am doing. Tell me what you think! Is this something that has a chance of getting of the ground, or is this another one of my crazy dreams that'll never see the light of day? It'd be nice to see a bit of GM-Player co-operation on this. I'll be glad to help out with any info people need as to how to get it done.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Re: Another Crazy Idea: The Monthly Player RMT Report

Waste of time, inefficient, incredibly biased, we don't have the information to say shit about RMT, etc.

Leave it to the people that get paid to do it.

Comment

A completly expected Feba post.

They can't do crap without reports to go on. Leaving it alone means doing nothing to help solve the problem.

Even if we're wrong, and biased in our movements, giving them something to go on is better then crossing our arms and doing nothing but bitch about unsolved issues.

In that, the time's not wasted. Rather, it's a waste of time to make a GM call on RMT, be told where to go, on POL to do it, and never do. This way at least more of those reports will make it to the right people.

But thanks for letting me know you're still here and as negative as always Feb. Every forum needs a good dose of pessimistic-realism.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

My only concern would be vindictive players using this to harrass others, plus all the clueless people who assume anyone farming/synthing anything are RMT.

Otherwise I'm all for it, I think they got caught, but I used to know a number of RMT, or if they weren't RMT they were at least constantly breaking the ToS, who somehow managed to survive countless ban waves for a long time.

Morion Worm and Archer ring groups, I'm looking at you >.<

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I believe there's a Japanese website that does this already, but less in a report manner and more as a database.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyrist View Post
            A completly expected Feba post.
            They can't do crap without reports to go on. Leaving it alone means doing nothing to help solve the problem.
            Even if we're wrong, and biased in our movements, giving them something to go on is better then crossing our arms and doing nothing but bitch about unsolved issues.
            In that, the time's not wasted. Rather, it's a waste of time to make a GM call on RMT, be told where to go, on POL to do it, and never do. This way at least more of those reports will make it to the right people.
            But thanks for letting me know you're still here and as negative as always Feb. Every forum needs a good dose of pessimistic-realism.
            I hate to say it but I have to agree with him on this. Besides we do give them something to go by. Its up to S.E and the STFU actually do something about it.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Someone tried something like this a couple of years ago, and it didn't go well, and eventually was removed from the site. Good riddance in my opinion.

Comment

They can't do crap without reports to go on.
                Obviously they can. Try observing issues before you start commenting on how to fix them.

Comment

Leave the witch hunts to the people in Salem. Honestly, are you that bored with the game? Just go level another job if you have this much free time.
                  FFXIV Balmung Server
                  Tenro Matashi
                  PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

I also have to agree with Feba on this one, but more for the reasons Vy states... it seems that a lot of times, people who are legitimately earning gil are perceived as RMT... I've seen a group of BLMs XPing in ToAU on the Marids. The party I was in made the assumption of them being RMT despite any other indications.

Edit:
                    As clarification, they may well have been RMT, but it's equally likely they weren't. Leave the research up to the professionals.
                    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Um. I've filed reports on more than a dozen botters and people with funny auction histories (selling 10 Teleport-mea scroll a week? Yeah, you're not RMT at all... Right... ).

Everyone of them I've reported to SE is gone.

We don't need to collect data from all different World and make a large, separate report; just give detailed info to STF on its website, and it'd be taken care of. Faster, more efficient, and exact how S-E wants us to help.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

The problem is as Vyuru says, what stops people blaming people they don't like as being RMT? what about all the people who people think are RMT when the prrove not to be, yet still get reported? You would only be causing a larger workoad for the STF team to have to analyze to proove either way.

Hell i've seen someone report a guy to a GM after he claimed a NM with flash, just because this poor taru blm couldn't get firaga out quicker, so he assumed the guy was hacking (even though flash is cast quicker than firgaga and the pld cast it first, but because the kid didn't get his own way (2 parties were camping this) he Gm'd him for speed hacking, the guy was inocent and after he was jailed for 20 minutes while the GM reviewed "the case" he was found inocent and allowed to continue playing, however the party had wiped due to their tank being kidnapped and the other party took claim and got the item. anyone can turn around and say they are hacking, cheating just to get them out fo the way so they can get the item/mob. I know I was that PLD when fighting the Nm for tower keys in delkfort tower for a mission. We lodged an official complaint with SE and still havn't heard anything especially when we got taunting tells from the party about their key drops.

The best thing is to keep reporting suspicious activities to the GM's and hope they pass the info on to the STF, a list/report can only be abused to well.
                        Last edited by Jarre; 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM.

Comment

And second of all if you should go ahead with this kind of report, where is your proof?
                          I'm getting a lot of these "Oh no!, a Witch-hunt!" Responces, so I'll clarify by giving an example of something actually in game.

On Midgardsormr, in The Sanctuary of Zi'tah , there is a character, Qiqii.

This character, for the last four months straight, has spent their entire gaming time (Spans of online time that could have very well exceeded 24 hours, mind you.) in this zone. Doing nothing but farming, going to Lower Jeuno, and coming back. No body peice, no R/EX gear excluding a couple pieces of AF, on THF/NIN. There's also be questions as to the "duration" of this player's flee effect as a suspected flee-hack.

Every player that also farms this area already 'witchhunts' this character as an RMT, and harasses and attempts to steal claim from this player, wither or not people have sufficient evidence to condemn them in such a way.

In this, and in other situations, if the person is really an RMT Hunter, they should be banned. If Not, it would be nice to have a confirmation of such so players can have their misconceptions removed. This isn't a witch hunt, that already occurs in the game regardless of this idea. This idea is intended to bring that 'witch hunt' to a conclusion, by referring it to those with the tools and resources the prove it in an organized fashion.

In so implementing this, it shows a measure of trust to the STF by giving them what information and suspicions we have, and allowing them to put them to rest one way or another. It continues to build positive interaction between the player base and the moderators, while providing means to assist issues on both ends about the fight against RMT. The more organized it is with the more information they have, the easier it'll make investigations as they'll have something to look for.

Back to the Qiqii example. On top of normal reports, Quqii gets put on the list (just stating for example) and the STF investigate him as a hunter. Now that they have this angle to pursue, they can check if he's trafficking his gil to a possible RMT bank, and if so, can use that to remove a large amount of gil from the RMT's hands yet again.

Of course, like any tool, it can be abused, however that's the personal responsibility of each individual player to give the fairest representation as possible, as well as the STF's responsibility to double-check every investigation to the best of their ability. There is quite a safety net for the innocent here.

X-posted on multiple forums.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

There's already a mechanism in place for players to report suspected RMTs. This just adds overhead and delay to the process (it could take up to an extra month before the STF is notified of a suspected account).
                            Lyonheart
                            lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                            Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                            Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                            Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                            Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by Hyrist View Post
                              On Midgardsormr, in The Sanctuary of Zi'tah , there is a character, Qiqii.
                              This character, for the last four months straight, has spent their entire gaming time (Spans of online time that could have very well exceeded 24 hours, mind you.) in this zone. Doing nothing but farming, going to Lower Jeuno, and coming back. No body peice, no R/EX gear excluding a couple pieces of AF, on THF/NIN.
                              None of this is against the ToS, excepting for maybe the length of time indicating sharing accounts. You reported the character based on this correct?

There's also be questions as to the "duration" of this player's flee effect as a suspected flee-hack.
                              Again, you reported this correct? Then the limit of what you can do is done.

Every player that also farms this area already 'witchhunts' this character as an RMT, and harasses and attempts to steal claim from this player, wither or not people have sufficient evidence to condemn them in such a way.
                              So setting up a list to do the same thing is ok because others already do it?

In this, and in other situations, if the person is really an RMT Hunter, they should be banned. If Not, it would be nice to have a confirmation of such so players can have their misconceptions removed.
                              The impression that this character is RMT was formed with exactly the same information that would be used to exonerate them, this would not change anyones mind regarding the character.

the personal responsibility of each individual player to give the fairest representation
                              Which is why it's doomed to failure. Any group of people taken as a whole can not be trusted or expected to act in a responsible manner.
                              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X