Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Square Enix doing anything about the lack of Sony Machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Square Enix doing anything about the lack of Sony Machines?

If you've been following any sort of Sony news, you know that as it stands, only the 60 GB PS3 can run FFXI among the PS3s. While I have still seen some in stores, they aren't being made anymore. And since there hasn't been any info on the 80 GB PS3 getting an update that makes it run FFXI, and since old-model PS2s are getting harder to find every day, the question I want asked is: Is Square Enix doing anything to try and address these concerns of a lack of Sony machines that can run FFXI? Are they in talks with Sony? Are they doing anything at all? Have they tried to get FFXI to work on the 80 GB PS3?

From a PS2 player who is trying to get money for a PS3, this is my concern.
    Last edited by Donomni; 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM. Reason: Durr, capital H.

Re: Is Square Enix doing anything about the lack of Sony Machines?

this has all to do with Sony, and them being retards, this has nothing to do with SE......
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

This is why I snatched up my 60 GB model in August.

Who knows, they could make another model with the Emotion Engine again in the future. For now, they're more concerned with price drops and getting a bigger install base.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Sony has been fucking FFXI over for *years*. They just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
          Sony has been fucking FFXI over for *years*. They just don't care.
          Like any company, Sony only cares about one thing: Their bottom line. ...and their bottom line is your bottom dollar. They like to fuck people over because they know that, at least in America, it's a consumer based market..... They know that people will bitch and moan all the way to the check-out stand.

I stopped buying anything made buy Sony. Namely due to Sony/BMG.

Comment

Every single company has one thing on their mind....profit. As I've told my children from the first day they could understand it, the root to everything ends up pointing to money. So based on that we should all ban all products and go back to being cavemen in my book........you know actually that kind of appeals to me cause there would be a LOT less stress!! LOL

Sony CEO came right out and said that the reason that they did away with the Emotion Engine was so that people would concentrate on PS3 games and not PS2 games. So in other words, so they could sell more and put more $$$ in their pockets. Money money money....it truly makes the world go around.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

The nice thing about Nintendo is, their consoles already print money, so they don't have to fuck over the consumer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                The nice thing about Nintendo is, their consoles already print money, so they don't have to fuck over the consumer at all.
                lol! QFTMFT ^.^

*plugs in his Wiimote and goes back to Guitar Hero III*

Comment

- . - I love how people say Nintendo is cheap, when really they're most expensive and biggest rip off of all.

Don't believe me? Try adding up the costs for each controller for the Wii (Remote + Nunchuck + Classic Controller) and all the various bull shit accessories Nintendo has made over the years. Oh yeah, and the convenient but over-priced Virtual Console...

Nintendo's been gouging us for years, people are just blind to it because it comes in small amounts. But let me tell you, it adds up fast. Also, pokemon is the greatest marketing scam EVER >. >b
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I love how people say Nintendo is cheap,
                    I love when people bitch about things nobody actually said.

Comment

You can play most games that need the 'Classic' controller just by jacking in an old GC one and holding L or R at the game start up. Or so my system manual said. I've also had friends tell me so. If you don't have your GC/don't have one of those, it's hella cheap to find a used one, I'm sure.

Nintendo also sent me free remote jackets. :p

Even if accessories cost more for them, at the least they've not fucked over, snubbed, and pissed off large amounts of people in the marketing of their newest console.

As to the actual topic at hand, sounds like yet more of Sony being total fucking retards. Another bullet in the foot; how long can you keep standing? Isn't the PS2 and its games the one thing pulling most of the profit into the company at the moment? I know that was the case closer in to PS3 launch since at the time they were still eating loss. I haven't kept up since then because I couldn't really care less, but this sounds like an idiotic move on their part.

The only thing that would have ever gotten me to buy a PS3 (and even then you would have to have threatened my life) would have been if my PS2 failed and I couldn't play FFXI. But hell, in the long run it'd be easier to find a cheap computer and just install FFXI to it instead.
                      "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

There are two things S-E can do about lack of FFXI capable Sony hosts:
                        1. Write a native PS3 client for FFXI.
                        2. Share subscription revenue from PlayStation clients for FFXI with Sony.

Both are unlikely, but I consider #2 to be a tad more realistic.

If Sony has a reasonably large financial incentive, it would make substantial effort to keep EE in at least some version of PS3. If S-E plays its cards right, doing #2 may just convince Sony to pony up money for #1, and have Sony share the cost of developing a native PS3 client for FFXI.

Well, it's what I would do; S-E likely would have other ideas, such as "Console players can move to xBox 360, which has improved graphics over PS2 version."
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Don't forget Nintendo's durability... my NES SNES have lasted me over 10 years, and my N64 and GC are still working fine..... Wii is no different.

and on the remote argument.....

360 wirless 49.99
                          Sixaxis 49.99
                          Wiimote 39.99 \/
                          nunchuk 19.99 >> 59.98

sorry but $10...... thats not a OMG ripoff at all

......eerrr anyway this is turning into a system argument.....like almost ever other thread relating to a system -.- *cough* back on track ;p

yeah you dont need any of te Wii's accessories.... the gun, classic controller, guitar, none of it is needed to play any Wii game, only time you would need a classic controller, would be for SNES and N64 games, but even then you can use a GC controller instead. I do admit that the virtual console stuff is a bit over priced though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            I do admit that the virtual console stuff is a bit over priced though.....
                            sorry I just needed a quote about the VC stuff(not picking on anyone). Some games on the VC are priced fine compared to ebay + shipping for the orignal cart. I keep paying $10 on ebay for NES games and this does not inculde vintage hardware if you don't have it.

I do admit that the TG16 and Neo Geo stuff are the better values since that hardware is rarer and so are the games, but unless you have a game store in your area that stocks eveything back to NES you're paying more for the game plus shipping(and sometimes a preium based on rarity/popularity) to get the original than to buy it from the VC....
                            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                            (have fun MMO players ^^)
                            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Donomni View Post
                              Is Square Enix doing anything to try and address these concerns of a lack of Sony machines that can run FFXI? Are they in talks with Sony? Are they doing anything at all? Have they tried to get FFXI to work on the 80 GB PS3?
                              From a PS2 player who is trying to get money for a PS3, this is my concern.
                              What exactly do you expect SE to do about Sony's product decisions? You do know that they are separate entities, and that just because SE makes games for a device Sony makes doesn't mean much right?

BTW, they have probably already answered your question if I read your expectations correctly. The PS3 is not a supported FFXI platform and there are no plans to change that.
                              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X