Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Callisto
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    I do see an issue with the endgame shell tards leveling new jobs, and trying to force TP-burn mechanics onto low-level parties, which is obviously not very effective. It might be possible to blame this on ToAU, but I'd just blame normal stupidity.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
    There is more than one opening scene for each starting city. I'm not sure if it's just determined by character race or if there is a random factor.
    It's random. I've deleted and remade characters enough to know that for certain.

    Leave a comment:


  • Feba
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    the thing is probably that you learned to read. The opening CS always tells you how to find a starter NPC that will give you things to do and send you off in the right direction.


    n00bs do not read, however.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lunaryn
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    There is more than one opening scene for each starting city. I'm not sure if it's just determined by character race or if there is a random factor.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Well, I can't make a mule where I am right now. But I'm already certain so it doesn't matter.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ziero
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    That's easily tested by making a new mule, but I doubt it actually changed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Originally posted by Tirjasdyn View Post
    Actually the start of the game is different...though I'm not sure which expansion changed it.

    It's a lot more explanatory now than it was the first time a played with my old disks. This time around with the 2007 collection...the beginning gave me some things to do right away rather than having a girl begging to go out side of the Bastok gates like it did with my original game (2005 version of the game).
    Are you sure? I was at my brother's house this weekend and created a mule on his account, and it was the same newbie experience I'd had since I first started playing at launch.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tirjasdyn
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Actually the start of the game is different...though I'm not sure which expansion changed it.

    It's a lot more explanatory now than it was the first time a played with my old disks. This time around with the 2007 collection...the beginning gave me some things to do right away rather than having a girl begging to go out side of the Bastok gates like it did with my original game (2005 version of the game).

    Leave a comment:


  • Pteryx
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Originally posted by wrongfeifong View Post
    Its amazing how people doesn't brother to do any research about the new classes, i mean TOAU been out for a year and more. I still have people ask me "What do your 2 hour do?". Many still doesn't have a clue about ability like Random Deal or is corsair able to sleep.
    Even worse, there are still people out there who don't realize that Corsair can refresh... -- Pteryx

    Leave a comment:


  • wrongfeifong
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Its amazing how people doesn't brother to do any research about the new classes, i mean TOAU been out for a year and more. I still have people ask me "What do your 2 hour do?". Many still doesn't have a clue about ability like Random Deal or is corsair able to sleep.

    We will see that with the new 3 classes of WOTG.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Which was all answered in the first response in this thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • Irisjir Callard
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Expansions, not so much. Expansions are pretty much exactly that. You start in one of the three starter cities and start moving outwards, and each expansion expands how much farther 'out' you can go, in a manner of speaking. RoZ was the first expansion and you'll get into RoZ areas first, probably at around level 20 and jeuno, then CoP, then ToAU. So while the expansions have changed leveling mid-game somewhat, and endgame to an extreme degree, for the first 20 levels it honestly doesn't matter if you have the expansions at all, to my knowledge.

    If that answers your question.

    But all levels have changed, wildly, drastically over the years with normal standard game updates. The recent updates of rings that grant EXP bonuses, the signet upgrades granting defense and evasion bonuses, both of these are very new to me as a standing member of the FFXI community. Since I predated them, I am in AWE of how easy it is, comparatively, for newbies to level up and get started. It seems to me this game has gotten a great deal frendlier to the lower levels.

    I also remember a certain set, the trader's/baron's set coming out, in CoP, an excellent level 20 mage gear armor. I remember at the time being angry, because, if I remember correctly, I basically wore the level 11 bais-and-gaiters set clear up till seers, because there was no decent gear for a mage job between the two. I remember wishing I would have had access to the trader's set back when I needed it.

    So yes, the lower levels have better gear, better advantages, there are better foods available on the market, and signet nowadays is for more than just farming crystals. If your question was asking, "hey old fart, how are my first ten levels in this game going to differ from your first ten levels three years ago", that's how in a nutshell. Signet, exp ring mostly, and then armor once you get past oh, level 15, and expansions don't really start to kick in until level 20 at the earliest, more likely level 30.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Originally posted by Legal Fish View Post
    And anyone who says expansion doesn't change your experience is full of it.
    Please explain how the expansions have affected the 1-10 level range. That's what the OP was asking.

    Leave a comment:


  • Legal Fish
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    I'll be writing a mega guide soon that should be up to date. For now use the new player guide videos on playonline.com

    And anyone who says expansion doesn't change your experience is full of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Murphie
    replied
    Re: Have the expansions altered the newbie experience?

    Originally posted by wrongfeifong View Post
    They screwed up the invites for any TOAU jobs. I swear, i have not gotten a BCNM/KSNM/Any missions invites because they will say "Our strategy guild does not have corsair in the description, so we will go with a BRD or a rdm just for refresh". Now i don't blame them if they need AOE sleep, but its ridicious to assume that i can't perform better then brd or RDM as a cors when fighting 1-2 enemies....
    Well, those people are idiots. You're better off.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X