I just got the starter pack - question about updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got the starter pack - question about updates

Ok so basically, i installed FFXI etc. And i wanted to play, but it said i had to update it - fair enough... However i didn't realise the update would take like 7 hours =/

I have the expansions with the starter pack though, i assumed i couldn't use them (no registration key) so i didn't install them. If i installed them would that mean i have less updates to get? But would i then not be able to play because i don't have registration for the updates?

I really appreciate any help, thanks.

Re: I just got the starter pack - question about updates

Yes it takes a long time to update as there has been so much content added over time.

Secondly, we never got why they released a starter pack when you can get the full pack with the 3 current expansions for around $20 from amazon.com where as you just register for your free 30 days and have all the codes for the game and 3 expansions. Rather than spending money one ach expansion to upgrade costing about $10 each i beleive.

Also the Vanadiel Collection 2007 (which is the game+3 expansions) will need less time updating.

as for would installignt eh other disks reduce update time, I'm not sure but 7 hours is a long time. It took me 3 hours to download all update begining of this year and thats for everything. You may have a slow connecton or your ISP is packet shaping.

Comment

My connection is 1.5mb, so yeah it's not all that great... Wow, i'm kinda disappointed i don't get to play tonight ;_;

Well i'll try installing the expansions and see if that helps, i just hope it doesnt mean i HAVE to have an account that is registered to the expansions (Because i don't really want to get them yet unless i decide i really like the game).

I guess if not i'll just have to leave it on for a long time tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by SellusGravius View Post
        Ok so basically, i installed FFXI etc. And i wanted to play, but it said i had to update it - fair enough... However i didn't realise the update would take like 7 hours =/

I have the expansions with the starter pack though, i assumed i couldn't use them (no registration key) so i didn't install them. If i installed them would that mean i have less updates to get? But would i then not be able to play because i don't have registration for the updates?

I really appreciate any help, thanks.
        1.The expansions should have come with a registration key for each one~
        2.No you would still have the same amount of updates to get
        3.You can play but won't be able to go in any expansion areas, get any expansion items/quests, or advanced jobs.

And welcome to Vana'diel!
        RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome... If i ever get there, that is ;_; I just found out you can't even resume the update if you cancel it >.<

And yeah the installation files for the expansions come with the starter pack, but not the registrations.

Oh actually, can i download the updates anywhere else? Like a torrent for example? Something i can pause and resume would be much better.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome... If i ever get there, that is ;_; I just found out you can't even resume the update if you cancel it >.<

And yeah the installation files for the expansions come with the starter pack, but not the registrations.

Oh actually, can i download the updates anywhere else? Like a torrent for example? Something i can pause and resume would be much better.
            The good thing is when you do start to install again you start with the files you don't have, not from the begining! And no there isn't another place you can DL from... at least that i know of.
            RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Restlesstornado View Post
              1.The expansions should have come with a registration key for each one~
              No. The Starter Pack does not come with reg code for the expansion packs; you have to buy the codes separately if you want them. See here for details.

Originally posted by Restlesstornado View Post
              2.No you would still have the same amount of updates to get
              I'm not certain that's entirely true; fewer expansions installed, the potentially fewer files can be updated. So, fewer expansion pack should be same or fewer items to update, depending on what's being updated.

Since it's a new install, I'd guess fewer updates by no installing expansion packs, if assuming expansion packs without reg code can be updated. (Which I don't know... lol.)

In any case, it makes little difference--can't use the expansion pack contents without reg codes.
              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Oh well i'll just install them anyways.

And so if i stop the update when it is going, i don't have to start it from the beginning again when i resume it?

Comment

Oh well i'll just install them anyways.

And so if i stop the update when it is going, i don't have to start it from the beginning again when i resume it?
                  It will check all files then start to DL from where you left off, at least thats what it used to do-
                  RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
                  sigpic

Comment

Ohh awesome. Ok thanks alot for all the help dudes.

Comment

Working...
                    X