X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Gestures vs. Self Progression

Just an odd thought.

Last night I was walking around Ronfaure herding some Forest Hares...
    Then someone came up to me and asked me if I wanted a free Aspis Shield.
    "Do you even have to ask?" I told him.
    He laughed, and said to hold on a second while he made one.
    Abra Kadabra, "Player Synthesized an Aspis."
    "Wewt. You rawk. /cheer" I said when the trade was complete.

I also saw the same person running around outside of Sandy make a gazillion shields for anyone who was in need.

While I appreciate this kind gesture...
    Was it more to be a helper???...Or more to just increase his Crafting Skill???

[sort of related]
    While it may be difficult to see the "ends" of why this player helped me out in this particular situation...
    It's very different when...say...Someone in your LS tells you to check your MH, and you find 24 Water Crystals.

|Alchemy: 3|Cooking: 3|Smithing: 1|Fishing: 1|
    ====================

Re: Nice Gestures vs. Self Progression

Originally posted by Serryl
    While I appreciate this kind gesture...
    Was it more to be a helper???...Or more to just increase his Crafting Skill???
    Maybe... but if he was, hey, you got a free shield, and he didn't have an inventory filled with unstackable shields that don't sell too quickly.

When I was skilling alchemy on potions, I would give them to anyone that would take them... by the armful XD

Comment

Well if his only goal was to skill up his craft, it would make a lot more sense to craft the shields next to a vendor and sell them as he made them. Instead he took the time to give a little something to a bunch of (potentially) new players. I'd say that's further toward the "helpful" end of the spectrum than the "selfish" end.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

Yeah...
        A few times, I've had more Carrot Broth than I know what to do with...
        I still have yet to use one...
        I'll just sell them to an NPC...
        I kind of have more Gil than your average newbie, thanks to my LS.

[edit]
        @ Ellipses
        Well stated.

====================

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
          Well if his only goal was to skill up his craft, it would make a lot more sense to craft the shields next to a vendor and sell them as he made them. Instead he took the time to give a little something to a bunch of (potentially) new players. I'd say that's further toward the "helpful" end of the spectrum than the "selfish" end.
          I hate to see good stuff go to a vendor, though. I would have trouble vendoring an Aspis. I remember being a newbie RDM and wanting an aspis soooo bad, but they were, like, 2000 gil! :D

Comment

He was probably skilling up his crafting. Granted, it may not be the most honorable of honorables, but it is still honorable. He was running around in Ronfaure giving them away, not just standing in South Sandy shouting that they were free. That gives him a few more points.

The motivation for his actions was not totally virtuous, it was to get rid of the shields.

Think of it this way: if he was just looking to get rid of the shields, he could have put them on the AH, NPC'd them, or simply thrown them away. "Man, I have all these shields. How am I going to get rid of them? I know, I'll offer them to my fellow adventurers!"

All I can say is, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
            I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Originally posted by avhmia
              I hate to see good stuff go to a vendor, though. I would have trouble vendoring an Aspis. I remember being a newbie RDM and wanting an aspis soooo bad, but they were, like, 2000 gil! :D
              Not from Bastok, I take it?
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
                Not from Bastok, I take it?
                Nope. My husband played a San d'Orian elf, so I started there too. What can I say, I had the Ronfaure Fever

Comment

It's always nice when someone figures out a way to work on their goals while helping others out. For the people who got the free gear, hopefully when they are in a situation to give others a hand, they will remember that and continue the trend.

Comment

As I see it he is sacraficing the minimal possibility of padding his losses to help out new players. That is pretty far from selfish. If he was selfish or lazy he would have vendored them, as was pointed out.

I did the same thing with Yagudo Drinks . What a loss that was. Those things, for all the good they do, simply will not sell well enough. Usually anyway. With everyone leveling BLU they seem to be fairly popular now.

I think I stuffed all of my LSmates inboxes full of them. Even if they didn't have mage jobs. I think I made 50 or 60 of them, at least, to hit level 60 cooking.

The ones they wouldn't take, I ended up selling for like 400gil. Thats slightly under cost.
                    66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
                    Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                    01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
                    01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
                    O)
                    01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

I remenber when I first started cooking and I made orange juice for everyone in sandy just put them in my bazzar for 1gil each and they where tooken in seconds feels good to help out lol

Comment

I also remember giving away a good bit of butter. Soooo much butter....
                        66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
                        Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                        01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
                        01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
                        O)
                        01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

Originally posted by avhmia
                          Yeah, I know...
                          I wanted one...

Now, I have one!
                          For free, too!
                          =D

====================

Comment

Originally posted by AngryUndead
                            I also remember giving away a good bit of butter. Soooo much butter....
                            Should have saved it for baked popotos... then handed them to "it's the dunes loolz" pld tanks

Comment

One time, a Mithra was making Brass Flowerpots and giving them away for free. Since I was trying out gardening I was in the market for one! (And I gave her some gil in exchange anyway.) That was back in 2004 and I still remember how nice a gesture that was even if she was probably skilling up goldsmithing(?).
                              They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X