Dunes dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunes dead?

I played this game a couple years ago when it first hit the ps2, then again a while later on the PC, and just recently I've come back. This is my first time on fenrir server, so I'm not sure....but are the dunes usually dead?

I was making a suicide trip from bastok to selbina and I entered the Dunes expecting to see the standard chaos of the dunes that I know and love...but it was barren, except for the monsters. There were actually monsters standing around waiting to be pulled and die!

Is there a new place for newbie-partying and leveling up? Has it been so long that a 'low level' character is far and few between? Am I on a bad server?

Thanks!

Re: Dunes dead?

There have always been other places for newbie partying and leveling up. It's just that no one ever goes there. The Dunes should generally have about 100 or so people in them. You might have been there at a bad time.

Comment

I certainly hope so. I wrangled my girlfriend into playing this so she could see why I loved it so much, only to have it be dead for newbies :/

Comment

There are about 131 players in Valkurm on Bahamut. About 2770 folks online total, so that's about average.

I think you were just there at a bad time.

Comment

Reminds mee of the xplay comment. "Adam" who wants to go to the dunes.. cricket cricket cricket. Yeah this game is slowly nearing the end of its course. most dont bother lvling the lower jobs. an those who do usually get a PL, to hurry the hell out of the dunes. right now im trying to get my blu to 37, an let me tell u the parties are extinct for me. i try to make parties, but the picking are slim. i think i spent more time soloing, then actually pting..

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

What are you talking about, Little Ninja? That's not at all the reality of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Winged Aniki View Post
              I played this game a couple years ago when it first hit the ps2, then again a while later on the PC, and just recently I've come back. This is my first time on fenrir server, so I'm not sure....but are the dunes usually dead?

I was making a suicide trip from bastok to selbina and I entered the Dunes expecting to see the standard chaos of the dunes that I know and love...but it was barren, except for the monsters. There were actually monsters standing around waiting to be pulled and die!

Is there a new place for newbie-partying and leveling up? Has it been so long that a 'low level' character is far and few between? Am I on a bad server?

Thanks!
              Yep, you could try using the search function (like Murphie did) to figure out just how many people are online and how many are in the Dunes. Over here, in Taiwan, it seems like (this is totally subjective, so take it with a grain of salt) a lot of players start dropping off after about 11pm Japan time. Otherwise, I tend to think that, with so many different jobs out there to level, you will almost certainly have people partying in the Dunes most evenings and weekends...
              Character: Bricklayer
              Server: Ramuh
              31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Valkurm Dunes on Remora is usually pretty full when I run through. In fact, I just ran a level 1 mule to Selbina for the cabbage quest with very little trouble. I only had to worry about avoiding Goblins after the cave and in front of Selbina. All of the rest were dead.
                Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

^yeah, those were my intentions. trouble is, there weren't enough meat shields for me to get through the tunnel to the other side of the dunes at the time >XD darn sand bats...

I just figured that with this new expansion and the release of the xbox version, there would be more people like me, or at least new players to party with.

Comment

There really are. Seriously, the dunes are generally packed. Some people do exp elsewhere, and many also solo further than they used to, but you can still find a fair number of conventional dunes parties if you look. Well, most have a PL attached, but whatev.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                      There really are. Seriously, the dunes are generally packed. Some people do exp elsewhere, and many also solo further than they used to, but you can still find a fair number of conventional dunes parties if you look. Well, most have a PL attached, but whatev.
                      Don't you know that a PL'd party is the conventional dunes party now?

Originally posted by One-Winged Aniki
                      ^yeah, those were my intentions. trouble is, there weren't enough meat shields for me to get through the tunnel to the other side of the dunes at the time >XD darn sand bats...
                      Oh, there were sand bats on my way back, too. I was just patient enough to wait for someone else to aggro them instead. I was going back through because it was my Jeuno mule. I was going Jeuno>Dem>Selbina>Bastok. I still need more Bastok Fame, though. Darn Mog Safe upgrades.
                      Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

It's true. You're hard pressed to find one without. That's why I soro!

Comment

Soloing until qufim has been common place for me for PUP, BLU, RDM and NIN, takes time, but its better imo.

Try duoing/trioing, its alot of fun.
                          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                            Soloing until qufim has been common place for me for PUP, BLU, RDM and NIN, takes time, but its better imo.

Try duoing/trioing, its alot of fun.
                            I think that will be my plan from now on. Not only do you get to skip the dreaded dunes, you also get more crystals, Beastman's seals and regular drops.

Hmm... that has me thinking... I should duo by myself, with my other account. I need to get her Whitemage up, and I have many jobs that could duo with her. Heck, I could trio by myself if I bring out my NPC.

Duo/trio by myself... Sounds like the opposite of "I solo'd it with my NPC!"
                            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

I'd have to get friends to duo/trio. That's an impossible to gauge task. ; ;

Comment

Working...
                              X