Lost and Almost Forgotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost and Almost Forgotten

Here's my main problem with these silly forums: I have to add the italics codes all by hand ; ; Even though I can highlight it still takes forever. What I do for the arts...

Ah well, here you are, the 20th Chapter! Good news: I think I managed to put this one out in a reasonable time span. Bad news: We're getting near the end.
    Oh well, I won't hold you up--enjoy!

Chapter Twenty: The Power of Fear

The conversation between Shantotto and Chykisasa was like lightning, there was no pause between their responses.

“What happened here, Chyki, everything was a mess! I came in and found you unconscious—confess!”

“Calm down, everything is alright, I think. I only followed the directions in the book, but it triggered some memories from Oztroja. The Yagudo were all around me, and then there was fire…but it all went away when I screamed.”

“Wait, wait—you screamed? But how…could it mean…?”
    “Yes, I found my Soul’s Voice. A part of me in the dream I had while I was unconscious confirmed it. A different part of me wanted to stay in that dream forever, but the other part was telling me that I had succeeded and needed to wake up and fulfill my purpose.”

“Ohohohohoho! Oh, Chyki, this is just so perfect! When a dream spirit confirms something, they are always correct! Now we have a week to see what this voice is about, so let’s get out there and drag it out!”
    “Wait…it’s morning?”

“Ohoho, yes, and I see you’re excited about it. So, come on, get up; surely all day you aren’t going to wallow and sit!”

Chykisasa sighed, and proceeded to submit to the morning sunlight by getting herself ready for the day. Of course, this was not before burying her head into her pillow, hoping its essence was still stored in the feathers. But it had dissipated, and Chykisasa resigned herself to the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The two made another trip out to Sarutabaruta, with their usual picnic basket and traveling clothing. Typically, they would store spell scrolls along with the food in the basket. This time, however, it was much heavier than usual; for the book about the Soul Voice was hidden at the bottom of the basket, as opposed to a few spell scrolls.

The usual glances of apprehension and suspicion were still emitted by a few citizens of Windurst, however by now most were used to the regular outings, and decided to establish it as normal. Shantotto going out into the wilderness with her charge was most definitely better than her sticking around Windurst and causing havoc to all those who crossed her doorstep.

Eventually, the two arrived at their usual training ground. Shantotto let Chykisasa take care of a few creatures who had decided to begin grazing in the area. Afterward, they dragged the book out.

Chykisasa turned to the chapter six—the chapter following the one that taught her how to access her Soul Voice for the first time. The next chapter was to teach her how and when she could access it on an everyday basis, like a real Combat Bard could.

She sat down to read the entire chapter, and Shantotto grabbed a slice of toast. The introduction of the chapter attempted to explain Soul Voice further by comparing it to a locked door. Unless one unlocks the door, it can never be opened. But once that door is unlocked, they can open it as many times as they wish. However, the more often and recklessly you open the door, the faster the hinges deteriorate. If the hinges are completely destroyed and the door breaks, the one single pathway to your Soul Voice is sealed and is closed off forever. The key to using Soul Voice in battle is to not use it to a point of abuse, but also to never be afraid to use it if the time seems right.

It went on to say that Soul Voice could not be used at a hopeless time in the battle where defeat is irreversible. Soul Voice has to be used before the threshold of the inevitable. A bard must be able to analyze battles closely and predict when an opponent is too strong for their team’s natural abilities. Then they can properly time Soul Voice. Too early means that the enhancements will wear off before the battle is over, and most tough opponents become stronger and more desperate as they feel death closing in around them. Using Soul Voice too late means that basically there is no battle to save—the outcome is already inevitable, and no amount of enhancements can change it. The battle is a loss.

The rest of the chapter gave Chykisasa the steps and guidelines to accessing Soul Voice in battle, and how much practice one needs to have complete control over the voice. She already knew Soul Voice could only be used out of absolute need; however, she needed more information than that. She needed to mentally prepare herself and intimately know each step to using Soul Voice in battle.

Chykisasa read that one should space each use of Soul Voice out at least two hours apart, to allow the mind and body to recover from the sudden rush of power and enlightenment. Using it more often than that risked deteriorating the figurative door hinges, afflicting one ’s self with brain damage, or complete failure to tap into the exhausted voice at all.

Just as she began to turn the page, a thought dawned on Chykisasa. Her eyes widened, her body stiffened, and her stomach felt like it was trying to summersault. Immediately she stood up and went over to the picnic basket and began to rummage through the food looking for the paper and pen.
    Shantotto raised an eyebrow, looking up from her second piece of toast, “You’re ready to try again so fast? Surely that much time has not passed.”

Chykisasa found the paper and wrote her response. Shantotto opened her mouth wide to fit the last bit of toast in her mouth. Out of the five races, the Tarutaru have always been able to eat the largest percentage of food compared to their own body weight. They have never had any problems with being overweight. The only fat that their bodies produced and held was, quite literally, baby fat. A good amount of that was considered cute and flattering anyway, especially since it is physically impossible for a Tarutaru to have an hourglass figure which all the races strive for.

Shantotto finished a sip of tea as Chykisasa finished her statement. She hesitated a moment before she handed the paper to Shantotto, who read the paper silently, “I can only use Soul Voice every two hours in the book. I am not sure how all of this will end, so after I try the first time, I want Uchi-Buychi to come out here. I’m afraid he might think I’m avoiding him.”

“Don’t want to be sending the wrong message, eh?” Shantotto asked with a smirk. “Well I don’t see why not, as long as his parents are willing to lend him out for the day. However I must warn you to beware: the second Orastery Semester is starting, I hope you’re aware. Rigorous classes might cause you two to separate. Oh well, who cares, there are plenty of men out there—you just have to wait!”

Chykisasa blushed and tried to cover it up by looking hurt. Shantotto translated the expression to, “How could you say such a thing!?” Chykisasa sighed and took her book back to an almost chair shaped rock that put her farther away from Shantotto than before. Shantotto erupted in mischievous laughter.

Chykisasa finished the chapter in about half an hour. She reread the most important parts several times over in order to know them by second nature, making the execution of the ability much smoother.

Finally, she was ready. Shantotto picked up the picnic supplies and moved them to the edge of the area. This gave Chykisasa a large area to work with, letting her have the reassurance that nothing was near enough to her to interfere with execution. When everything was in place, and Chykisasa decided she was in the correct place, she signaled to Shantotto that she was ready. Shantotto nodded, cast Haste, and ran off to fetch some targets.

As she waited, Chykisasa sat down to clear her mind. She prepared her mind and soul to focus on, and only on, the danger her life would be in as the monsters stampeded in her direction. She figured if she focused hard enough on this and ignored the presence of Shantotto, her Soul Voice would also ignore her, not considering her as a safe alternative.

After what seemed like only a few moments, Shantotto came whizzing through the rock formation. An army of bees, rarabs, and a few crawlers trailed behind her. Compared to her speed, they seemed to be going at a sluggish pace.

Chykisasa did not open her eyes until she was sure Shantotto had passed. She stood up, focused her eyes at the monsters, and let her emotions run free. She at first felt a reassured apprehension when she saw their distance, but that gradually morphed into fear as the fierce buzzing, squealing, and hissing sounds mixed together and rattled her entire body.

They were ten yards away when Chykisasa began the steps to using Soul Voice. She calmed her body, letting the emotions flow over her as if she were a rock at the bottom of a riverbed. The mana in her body flowed freely, and Chykisasa forced it into her chest, letting it build and build. Shantotto stiffened and narrowed her eyes. She had not felt that much power emitting from one source in a very long time. She began to fear for Chykisasa’s well being.

When the monsters were only fifteen feet away, Chykisasa felt as if the mana was going to burst straight out of her body. She took a sharp breath in, and large, glittering musical notes sprouted from the ground beneath her and danced around her body. Chykisasa began to shake with excitement. She opened her mouth, and began the song. Just as before, as Chykisasa heard the pure, echoing notes coming from her very own body her body produced even more adrenaline. As she wove the song, the shining notes danced faster and faster, gleefully twirling about like a flying ballet.

The monsters slowed down and eventually stopped as the notes of the song penetrated their body like a lance through a paper shield. They screamed in agony as the song twisted their mind and wracked their bodies with pain. Chykisasa did not hear the pain—she only heard the beautiful sound of her very own voice.

After only a few short moments of agony, the monster’s motions stopped. They were frozen in space and time. Chykisasa hit the concluding note of the song, staying on it for eight whole beats. The creatures began to emit a white light as the note went on, and just as Chykisasa ended the note, they shattered like glass sculptures. The group exploded in a flurry of white shards.

Even as the light from the devastating burst faded, the sound of Chykisasa’s voice resonated around every corner and into every crevasse of Sarutabaruta. Each and every creature, adventurer, travel, and insect that inhabited the grassland heard the glorious sound. A few religious figures in the land thought it may have been the great goddess Altana calling down from the heavens. The guards of Odin’s Gate were even aroused by the sound, unsure as to whether they should expect an attack from an enemy or a visit from an angel.

With the sound of Chykisasa’s voice still ringing in her ears, Shantotto apprehensively opened her eyes. For the first time in twenty years, she felt genuine fear pumping through her veins. She had not felt that sensation since had seen the great creature Karaha-Baruha summoned during the Great War. Shantotto thought that after seeing that terrible beast ripping apart the Yagudo on the battlefield, nothing would ever scare her again. She was wrong.

There was no sign life in Chykisasa’s midst, apart from her very own quaking body. Her body was shaking with an uncontrollable fury. Even as she balled her fists, they were still violently rattling. Her pupils were dilated, her face was pale, every pore in her body was sweating. Chykisasa waited to faint—waited for everything to go black and her body to slip into unconsciousness just as before. But the darkness never came. She could not feel any part of her body. Chykisasa fell to her knees, her breathing labored.

Chykisasa’s collapse cured Shantotto of her paralysis. In only a few seconds, Shantotto’s magically enhanced feet brought her to Chykisasa’s side. Before she took action, she thought about it for a moment, and decided that her problem was in the sudden loss of mana. She quickly cast Refresh. Chykisasa’s condition did not improve at first. Her chest made an audible wheeze, and her shaking could still be seen from a distance. But as the spell began to replenish her energy, her symptoms slowly eased. Finally, she had enough energy to raise her head.

Chykisasa looked up into Shantotto’s fearful eyes—her smile an absolute paragon of triumph.

Shantotto at first could only smile with pride. Her student had nearly surpassed her in a display of power—on the first try! Chykisasa was truly a prodigy.

Chykisasa’s chest began to quake in a different way now—she was laughing—tears even welling up in her eyes from mirth. Shantotto knew she had to put something in her mind to words, “Ho…you truly wield a tremendous and terrible power. If that was your first try, I cannot imagine what will happen in a couple of hours. Now, if we must, we can fetch your silly boyfriend.” Chykisasa’s laughter paused at the discreetly emphasized word. “Oho! My apologies! I hope that word did not offend!”

Main Job: 70RDM/BLM or WHM ~ Fairy (I hate you, Maat)
    Currently Leveling: 49WHM/BLM
    Windurst Rank 10 ~ As of 5/25/07! Woot!

My Fanfiction (please read, or at least skim!)

Susan>> Babies are just like people.
    Susan>> Just smaller.
    [GM]Dave>> But I don't like people.
    [GM]Dave>> I hate people.
    Susan>> Babies are like small people that can't talk.
    [GM]Dave>> ...
    [GM]Dave>> I'm listening.

Comment

As the two ventured back into Windurst, it became apparent that a few who had been standing outside of the buildings also heard that final note. Tarutaru, Mithra, adventurers, and foreign travelers alike had clustered into small groups in which they muttered amongst each other and pointed—mostly toward Shantotto and Chykisasa.

Shantotto, once again, played the part of the oblivious citizen well, acting as if nothing unusual had gone on at all. Chykisasa on the other hand had a worse time covering up her discomfort. She wanted to feel something other than that terrible, churning emotion of stage fright; however her mind did not seem to have any materials to make that feeling. Her other emotions had been sucked out of her body, and at that time she could not feel any of them genuinely.

They finally arrived at Uchi-Buychi’s doorstep. Shantotto had refused to take part in any heartfelt greetings or merrymaking before they even left Sarutabaruta. She forced Chykisasa to write an announcement of their presence, and shoved her up the single step, nearly making her head ring the bell. Chykisasa regained her balance and glared at Shantotto, who was intimidated like a roaring fire being attacked by a single snowflake.

Chykisasa sighed in defeat as she rang the bell. She expected a fairly quick reaction. But this reaction never came—she began to wonder if she’d rung the bell at all. She reached over to ring it a second time when the door sprang to life.

“Hello? Oh, Chykisasa! Good morning!” Luko-Micho warmly greeted. Chykisasa was startled as she smiled and mouthed hello as well. She noticed that Luko was almost trying too hard to be personable. “Must notaru be his strong suit, especially-wecially early in the morning…” she thought.

Chykisasa handed her letter of introduction to Luko, which basically stated that she wanted Uchi-Buychi to spend the day with her. He read patiently.

Just after he finished, he looked up and became aware of Shantotto’s presence. She was leering at him; giving him the look a mother tiger might give to an intruder who is wandering too close to her cub. He swallowed, “I have no problem-woblem with that at all! I-I’ll bring Uchi-Buychi down for you—all he was going to do today was lay aboutaru, anyhow!”

Luko-Micho ducked back through the door and into the house, leaving it ajar. Chykisasa giggled when she realized that he must have meant to invite her in. She then let herself in, hoping that if Shantotto were not in sight, there would be much less pressure in the confrontation.

Luko had called up to Uchi-Buychi, but it seemed that Uchi was busy. It took him a few minutes to run downstairs. He spied Chykisasa’s bright hair out the corner of his eye as he dismounted from the staircase, and his demeanor immediately changed. “Chykisasa!” he joyously called, running to her with no regard to his father, who possessed the information he wanted.

“It’s greatie to see you, how have you been?” he eagerly inquired, impulsively clasping his hands over hers. Chykisasa’s answer was in a smile and a nod. She hid her giggles by loosening his grip on her hands and signaling towards his father. Just as Uchi-Buychi began to ask what it was, his father held the paper up. “Oh, heheh!” he cried, retrieving the paper and walking back over to her, reading it along the way.

After he finished, Uchi looked back at Chykisasa. “Of course I’d like to spend the day with you—,” he began, and abruptly turned to his father. Luko-Micho nodded, and Uchi turned to his mother. She had been quietly reading a book, and she smiled and nodded as well. “Yes, sure! Bye mum and dad, I’ll be back sometime laitaru!” he called. His parents said goodbye as well as he took Chykisasa’s hands again and whisked her out the door.

As soon as the door closed, Uchi-Buychi noticed Shantotto. He whispered to Chykisasa, “You didn’taru tell me she was coming too!” Chykisasa laughed and Shantotto restarted her leering.

“Ohoho, boy, don’t think I missed what you just said! Keep up that attitude and you won’t enjoy the day ahead!”

Uchi-Buychi was nearly desensitized to Shantotto’s threats—he knew she would never harm something Chykisasa valued so much. He nodded in defeat and looked back into Chykisasa’s eyes. “So, justaru where are we going today? Surely nothing too…privataru if she’s coming too,” he continued, hesitating at the word “private” in order to gauge Shantotto’s reaction. Shantotto’s leer simply morphed into a satisfied smile—he was getting smarter around her.

Chykisasa held up a finger to signal she needed a moment, and then used the hand to pull a second letter out of her pocket. Uchi-Buychi read it carefully, however, he was still confused when he had finished. “Sarutabaruta? Really, why?” he asked.

Chykisasa’s eyes twinkled mysteriously as she mouthed, “You’ll see.”
      As the three ventured into the more public areas of Windurst Waters, they suddenly became aware that it was the first time Chykisasa and Uchi-Buychi dared to be seen in public together. Even given their recent increases in confidence, both were worried about the repercussions that would occur once the news of their relationship hit the gossip fast-lane. After all, even with all of the magic they have to enhance seeds and soil, rumors have always been known as Windurst’s most successful crop.

A few of the groups that had been talking about that mysterious sound that emitted from Sarutabaruta had dissipated, however a few had stayed together to share some more gossip. All gossip crowds went silent as Chykisasa and Uchi-Buychi passed by—hand in hand. Mischievous smiles and appalled gapes evenly spread among the spectators. To both Uchi-Buychi and Chykisasa, the walk to Odin’s Gate seemed to last hours.

Uchi-Buychi had expected Chykisasa and Shantotto to take him a good distance into Sarutabaruta, but he never expected them to seek a place as far as their secluded training ground. On multiple occasions he asked and commented on the distance, however Shantotto simply gave him rhyming couplets about his complaints and ever-running mouth.

When they finally arrived, Chykisasa took Uchi-Buychi to what seemed like an otherwise bland patch of dirt. She reached down and recoiled her arm to reveal the picnic basket containing her paper and pen, which had been hidden by the Concealing Cape, as Shantotto had chosen to name it. Chykisasa thought it was rather corny and predictable; Shantotto was notorious for making the names of her inventions and discoveries alliterations.

Chykisasa wrote her explanation on a paper which she propped up on a rock. Uchi-Buychi stood next to her, and read the words as she wrote them down: “We are out here because I think I have discovered a way to break the Yagudo’s contract they have on me. You see, they sent a letter recently stating that they had legal claim to me, and that they had solid proof of it as well. I’m positive that proof is the contract which they forced me to sign in blood.

I have been researching bards lately, and I found out that the special ability of Combat Bards is called Soul Voice. One’s Soul Voice is basically the voice of your heart, and everybody has it—even you. Typically, Soul Voice enhances the performance and power of songs by manifold. This morning, I found out that utilizing my Soul Voice not only reveals the voice of my soul, but that my soul is some force to be reckoned with. I defeated at least a dozen beastmen all at once with one single song.
      ”

“Wha…wow…Chykisasa…This is amazing!” Uchi cried, taking Chykisasa’s hands again. “Y-you sang! You sang! Oh my goodly goddess…I couldn’taru be more proud of you!” Chykisasa’s mind was overcome by Uchi’s affection and support. One part of her mind thought that it was embarrassing in front of Shantotto, however the other side only registered that neither Shantotto nor the area around her even existed. All that mattered was her and Uchi-Buychi.

“So, wereie you planning to use Soul Voice to break the contractaru?” Uchi asked, breaking Chykisasa’s trance.

Chykisasa continued writing: “Yes, that’s exactly what I wanted to do. The contract can be broken by verbal refusal, as you know. I am out here today to practice Soul Voice and get to know it well, so that I can channel the power to manifest itself in words, not notes. Shantotto is around to make sure I don’t go to far, like what happened last night.”

This deeply worried Uchi-Buychi, so he asked Chykisasa to elaborate. She explained the visions she saw as she searched her mind for her Soul Voice, and then the dream she had in her unconsciousness. At first, Uchi did not know what to say. But then, he realized all Chykisasa wanted was encouragement and company, so he offered both, “I’m not sure whataru I can do to help…but I’ll sticky-wick around to see you through this! Thataru I promise to you.”

Chykisasa had picked up on Uchi’s unusual calmness and confidence when he first took her hands in front of his parents. She wanted to ask him where it came from, but decided to not risk jinxing the moment. She liked this new image; it showed his genuine inward confidence in a way that would surely positively compliment his image in public. “And with the attention-wention I’m bound to attract, I hope this means he is ready…”

Chykisasa thanked Uchi for the support, and began another conversation about the upcoming semester about the Orastery. After explaining that she could only use Soul Voice about every two hours, both of them knew they should take advantage of this secure private time together. Shantotto had gone off out of earshot to not interrupt and intimidate them. She patrolled the area thoroughly for any hostile beastmen in order to pass the time.

The conversation between Chykisasa and Uchi-Buychi went on and on. Eventually, they subjected themselves to making observations about the area around them. They pointed out clouds and tried to decide what they resembled, and made up names for the strange rock formations among them. They even got very bored at one point and began a tic-tac-toe tournament.

Even though they managed to accomplish many things, and changed their activity many times over, it didn’t feel like very long at all until Shantotto made her way back around to their side of the rock formation. “Alright, lovebirds, two and a half hours have passed! I’m sure for you two dumplings it’s gone by fast. Chykisasa, it’s time for you to try this ability once more. After that, you can go back to your chatting, just as before.”

Uchi-Buychi looked at Chykisasa, “Good luck, Chykisasa. According to whataru you told me, this display is very-wery impressive. I’m sure you’ll do greataru!”
      Shantotto swiped up the picnic basket, “Come on boy, let’s get out of the way! Stay near here and you might find your head blown away!” she taunted, hoping that Uchi would catch on and pick up the rest of their belongings. To her pleasure, Uchi-Buychi did help out in the move. They moved the items and themselves a fair distance away, and left Chykisasa to her preparations.

Chykisasa found meditation and mind clearing much more difficult with the thought of Uchi-Buychi being near. The thought of their time together and the thought of him watching her at that very moment both scared and excited her. It clouded her thoughts, looming around every pathway in her mind. Everything she thought about linked back to Uchi-Buychi in one way or another. It took her over fifteen minutes to successfully calm herself down and clear her mind before she signaled for Shantotto.

But even the little amount of thought required to raise her arm restarted her thoughts and fears about Uchi-Buychi. She questioned her readiness, and then wondered what Uchi would say if she failed to use Soul Voice at all. Would he have to come to the rescue? Would Shantotto be ready enough to stun the beastmen? So many questions flooded her mind. After a moment, Chykisasa told herself, “Enough!” and restored her focus on her fear of the Yagudo. She had to condition herself to only feel immense fear when thinking about the Yagudo. During the meeting with them and the Star Sibyl, she would not have the time to think of anything else, and will have to use the ability quickly without meditation. She had to be ready.

It wasn’t too long before Shantotto came dashing round the corner of the rocks, with nigh over a dozen beastmen trailing a good ten yards behind her. Chykisasa stood up and focused her fears and malice towards the Yagudo straight to her throat. The energy built faster than before—it was working! Chykisasa managed to stop the energy before an uncontrollable amount had built after a few moments of charge. She opened her eyes to target the beastmen and release the energy, but she realized they were still too far away. She would have to wait on them! She held the energy in her diaphragm and her throat until they were within a reasonable distance to her.

Finally, she unlocked her Soul Voice. Just as before, violet musical notes sprung from the ground beneath her feat and exhilarated her to sing. Chykisasa sang a different song than before. This one required tongue movement to form some of the sounds—one step closer to actual words. However the affect was the same, the monsters were paralyzed before she delivered the final, mind-shattering note. They exploded in a flurry of white and violet light shards.

After the final note, Chykisasa’s stance teetered. With all her might, she moved her legs into a more stable position, and used her arms to balance herself out. She was not going to fall down this time.

And she did not. She correctly estimated how much energy she had to build in order to sustain the ability, but at the same time cut it off before it drained her to total exhaustion. On top of that, the blow was just as devastating!
      After giving herself a mental pat on the back, Chykisasa remembered her patrons who were safely tucked in a distant ditch. She turned herself around, still gasping for breath and shaking with adrenaline, and signaled for them to come to her.

Uchi-Buychi didn’t even bother picking up any of the picnic supplies and made a mad dash for Chykisasa. “T-that was-s a-amazing!” he called to her, his voice distorted by his desperate strides. When he got to her, the first thing he did was take her hands and offer balance. Chykisasa took the offer thankfully. “Chykisasa, thataru was…beyond comprehension! You can actually sing! You can mastaru this ability! And I am positive you can outsmart those dastardly-wastardly Yagudo. You didn’taru faint, fall down, or anything this time! And it amostaru sounded like you were singing words from a distance.”

“Oh, we are so much closer to peace!” Uchi-Buychi whispered and embraced Chykisasa as she both laughed and cried into his shoulder, returning his embrace.

Susan>> Just smaller.
      [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

another great chapter... another sudden depression of having to wait... again... argh... oh well, must you end this? i dont want it to end, this is too great to end... *sigh* well about my story ill think about it... i just dont know because i really only made it for my friends, so i put their names as the characters and some i completely made up, not even thinking about the names that Tarutaru, Mithra, etc normally have... so i guess id have to find out some... still ill think about it, just... dont know really... kinda worried about others opinions at the moment... ANYWAYS excellent chapter and i cant wait for the next and i really cant... i will go insane until the next chapter comes
        Hestraxen >> Hey Ejo, what'cha doin?
        Ejospike >> playin with animals...
        Hestraxen >> ??? oh, you're leveling BST?
        Ejospike >> um... no, not really
        Hestraxen >> What are you doing then...?
        Ejospike >> *zips up pants* nothing now

Comment

Lol, just don't go too insane and forget how to use the internet <,>

And just do what you want with the names, lol. You could just alter them a bit to make them like the real names, and yet still sort of mimic their character's names.

Susan>> Just smaller.
          [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

O Happi Dayz!!
            Originally posted by Ellipses
            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
            Originally posted by MCLV
            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
            More Sig:

Comment

lol yea im not that... good with thinking of names that they normally would have... i dont pay attention to the NPC names that much actually unless i need to so thats kind of an issue for me right now, schoolwork been getting in the way and i started my drivers ed classes a while ago so i dont have much time to write anymore anyways =/

Comment

Onionsoldier, I always enjoy your comments :D They make me smile. I hereby award you an e-hug! (>^.^)> (o-o)

And Ejospike, I know exactly how you feel x.x. I have several art projects due this Friday, have to finish two books and write two book reports by Monday, and I have to consistently pray for good test grades. Not to mention school projects and having to take pictures of everything that isn't posed. Ah, the joys of high school ; ;

Oh, and best of luck with driver's ed! I did that just last summer...had a blowout on the third driving session. Go figure.

But wait, there's more! On your name problem, honestly, I had to go back into the game several times to get the names right. I spelled a few wrong in the beginning, and it turns out one of the ministers (Sedjal-Godigal, or something like that) doesn't truly exist until most of the way through the Windurst missions. Again...go figure D:

Susan>> Just smaller.
                [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

yea leave it to SE to make weird names that are hard to memorize just been too focused on not failing my classes because my teachers are giving out like 20 assignments a day (not exaggerating) because we missed 2 days of school cuz of a blizzard and its nearing the end of the 3rd quarter so hurray for tests... and lots of em, but my problem is just finding a character that could go with my story, its pretty random and doesnt follow any storyline what-so-ever, just got bored and my friends seem interested in it so far, but thats just cuz they dont play FFXI i bet... lol oh well guess i gotta try and see how it all goes... so heres something is there really a character named Chykisasa in the game??

Comment

It has come to my attention that throughout this story, I have been repeating events in different ways and at different times. So far, Chykisasa has met Uchi-Buychi’s parents for the first time twice, and I’m sure I’ve reiterated several other things unnecessarily. That along with plot contradictions, inaccuracies (I have learned that a week in FFXI is 8 days long, not 7) and other such anomalies are the result of my life. My opportunities (and moments of inspiration) are few and far between. I leapt into this with a beginning, an end, and a barren middle ground for events. If you are worried that you missed something or misunderstood something, just pick one path to follow and forget it. Think of it as one of those annoying open-ended stories ;-)

So here you are, my third longest chapter. It's exactly 11 pages long in Microsoft Word, heh. I also had to start a new file for this story--the first twenty chapters were over 140 pages, and were taking forever to upload onto my Fanfiction.net account. Enjoy, my faithful patrons!

Story Edit: Small spoiler: Yes, I am aware that I never followed up on Uchi-Buychi's arrival at 7 the next day. Don't worry, he didn't fall through a plot hole...okay, maybe he did--but don't worry! I have edited him in a rope, so he'll be climbing out in chapter 22. I have come to edit this disclaimer in, and to put in my divider lines. I forgot they don't transfer over when you upload the file. /sigh.

Chapter Twenty-One: Happens All the Time

Chykisasa, Uchi-Buychi, and Shantotto remained in Sarutabaruta for the rest of the day. They stayed until there was no longer enough light for Chykisasa to see her own handwriting. The last thing Chykisasa wrote that was readable was an invitation to dinner for Uchi-Buychi.

“Thank you, I’d love to! As long as a certain someone isn’taru doing the cooking…” Uchi replied, emphasizing the word “someone” sarcastically. Shantotto was obliged to take the cue, entering the conversation by giving Uchi-Buychi a swift shock to the posterior.

Chykisasa doubled over in laughter.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In Shantotto’s manor, Chykisasa showed Uchi-Buychi her “room,” and handed him the books she checked out from the Optistery so that he could review them. Shantotto busied herself by preparing their dinner—homemade soup, dinner rolls, rice cakes, and melon juice. She did her best to not listen in on what the other two were saying. Her curiosity, of course, quickly overcame.

Dinner was ready just as Uchi-Buychi and Chykisasa were about to start a conversation. Shantotto considered dragging out the final preparations to gather more information; however, she found herself not wanting to keep Uchi-Buychi away from his parents too long. “What is this feeling…concern…?” How could I be feeling it…absurd!” She muttered to herself. Shantotto thought about it for a moment, sighed, and called out, “Alright, you kiddies, dinner is served! My pantry is out of poison, so don’t be unnerved!”

Uchi-Buychi made a face, “Well thataru’s a relief.” Chykisasa laughed and shoved him jokingly.

“Better learn to hold your tongue, boy! I have other methods of torture in which I can employ!” Shantotto warned, using all of her energy to sound serious. Her threat, of course, went unheeded—the couple only laughed harder.

The experience was certainly new to each of them—all three had never sat down together for a formal dinner, as if a normal family would. Uchi-Buychi had actually wondered in the past if Shantotto and Chykisasa had sit-down meals, or if they simply left each other to fend for themselves. The normal feel of the setting and the abnormal feel of his company confused him, playing at his nerves.

Shantotto did not know how she should behave; whether to use her usual nature of an intimidating pest, or to use her long-abandoned manners and courtesy. After deliberating over the matter as she put the food out on the table, Shantotto deemed it as a stupid matter to be thinking about. She chose to settle both of her worries by simply using the appropriate behaviorism at the appropriate time.

All Chykisasa wanted was for her surrogate mother and boyfriend (after her enjoyable afternoon, the term was acceptable) to act normally and to not overcompensate for the newness of the setting. They were visibly becoming used to each other; however the slightest awkward moment could trigger either a heated argument or an extended bout of silence.

They managed to distribute food to each other without incident. Shantotto equipped herself short rhymes to ask for and pass items across the table, and Uchi-Buychi donned his best set of manners as well. Chykisasa wore her best smile, mouthed her thanks, and signaled toward the items she wanted.

Just after Uchi-Buychi took his first sip of soup, Shantotto asked, “Well, Uchi-Buychi, how is it? There is more of a kick this time, I have to admit.” As the words came out of her mouth, Uchi’s eyes widened and he quickly took a swig of his juice. “Ohohohohoho!” she delightfully laughed.

“Whataru is in that!? I thought this was soup, not chili-willie!”

“Ohohoho! Onions, dear boy, my own personal recipe. If your soup needs flavor, a good onion is the key.”

Chykisasa giggled as she swallowed her small mouthful, which didn’t seem to hurt her mouth at all. She then wrote a small remark on the paper next to her silverware, which Uchi-Buychi read aloud: “Shantotto is notorious for puttaruing onions in anything and everything imaginable—I think she even tried to put itaru in tea once.”

Uchi’s nose wrinkled, “Onions? Of all things…I truly-wuly pity you now, Chykisasa—more than before, that is.”

Shantotto kicked Uchi-Buychi, and laughter erupted from all of them. Uchi was becoming less apprehensive around Shantotto and was making bolder statements. This bothered Shantotto—there was no way she was going to let a minnow of a boy make a fool of her just because he was in love with her charge. She was going to do her best to make sure he didn’t forget who she was.

After a few moments of silent dining, Shantotto cleared her throat, “So, you two, what plans have you made for the future? Surely you would like to have children together…”

Chykisasa hiccupped while drinking her juice, causing her to cough violently. Uchi-Buychi accidently sipped up his spoonful of soup rather than blowing to cool it, forcing him to quickly take a drink to put out the fire in his mouth. Shantotto leaned back in her chair and chuckled at the spectacle. “Ohohoho! My, my, whatever is the matter with you two? You both are in love…I figured you had thought it all the way through.”

“I—uh…well—we…and…” was all Uchi-Buychi could stammer at first. He was still distracted by the painful sensation at the tip of his tongue. “I eh…really don’taru think…we are ready-weady for that yetaru…” he finally managed. He was nervous again, and his accent was doing its best to alter every word he spoke.

Chykisasa finished a response and slid the paper over to Shantotto. “If you were trying to find a new way to embarrass us, I’ll tell you now that you’ve found it. You win this round.”

“’Won?’ Oho, Chyki this isn’t a race!” she scoffed, turning to glare at Uchi-Buychi menacingly. “I was only putting this boy in his place. Honestly, his words are becoming much to bold. I simply need to show him the threshold.”

Uchi sighed in defeat and continued his meal with a hint of blush still in his cheeks. Chykisasa smirked (attempting to hide the red in her cheeks) and shook her head at Shantotto, defeated as well.

The meal went on and concluded on that rather embarrassing note. Chykisasa and Uchi-Buychi thought quietly to themselves about what Shantotto had said. What were their plans for the future? Did they really want to have a family together? Uchi-Buychi mused on how his parents would react to such talk. Chykisasa pondered on the resentment the Yagudo had towards her, and if they would target her heirs, if she were to have any.

After what felt like a few moments, Chykisasa shook her head to diminish the thought. She was getting ahead of herself. Before she worried about how her heirs were to be dealt with, she would have to personally deal with the Yagudo. In that moment, she noticed Shantotto was picking up the dishes around her—dinner was over.

“Oho, did I surprise you, Chyki dear? Dinner is over, come help clean up and open your ears!” Chykisasa stood, and Uchi-Buychi made his presence known again.

“Thankie you for dinner, Chykisasa, itaru was wonderful! Will you be practicing Soul Voice again tomorrow-worrow?” Chykisasa delightfully nodded, mouthing him to please come. “Of course I will.” Uchi replied, smiling, his eyes lost within the ocean of hers. They gazed at each other for a long time, until Shantotto broke it up by making a rather loud sound with the dishes left on the table. They were both a little angered by the disruption—it was their moment, not hers, after all.

Uchi-Buychi sighed, “I guessie-wess I should go then. I’ll come here tomorrow ataru…say…seven? I assume you leave for Sarutabaruta pretty-wetty early.” Chykisasa nodded again and hugged Uchi in a fond farewell. Uchi accepted the embrace, and squeezed her back. “See you tomorrow, takie care until then, Chykisasa.”

After Uchi-Buychi left, there was silence between Shantotto and Chykisasa as they cleaned up dinner. Chykisasa was still trying to bask in the moment of being with her one true friend, and Shantotto was reviewing her antics and how Uchi had reacted to them. Ten minutes passed. They were cleaning dishes and Shantotto began to laugh. It was subtle at first, only a muffled giggle, however it escalated into full mirth in only a few moments.

Chykisasa looked at Shantotto with a speculative look, and used her expression to ask what was so funny. Shantotto had to put her hand on the washbasin to balance herself out and regain her composure. She finally answered, “Ohoho, Chyki, that was simply too too great! Now I know how things went on your very first date!” She nudged Chykisasa.

Chykisasa blushed and reached for some nearby papers, but Shantotto grabbed them and pulled them out of her reach. “Tut tut, dear, you cannot deny it! That you two are in love is the only thing you can admit.” Chykisasa’s facial expression changed from embarrassment to begging. Shantotto sighed and handed her the papers. “But I suppose I can give you two distance, from this point on. I cannot hover to observe this metamorphosis you have foregone. Through life try not to forget about Shantotto, Chyki—and make sure that boy himself doesn’t get too cheeky!”

Chykisasa sighed and began to write her response. Shantotto stooped over her to read the words as they formed: “I don’t think anyone could forget to even if they tried, Shantotto.” Shantotto snorted in agreement. “And don’t go overreacting on me—it’s not like in with him or anything. We’re just two kids dating; neither of us know what the future will hold. However, we would appreciate some…alone time.”

“Ohohohohoho, alone time you say. Well, well, well! I wouldn’t want to get in your way…”

Chykisasa’s ears flared and her cheeks flushed red. Shantotto’s point was made very clear.

One hour and a few more lewd jokes later, Chykisasa and Shantotto were finally settling down. Shantotto took up her usual evening reading, while Chykisasa took up a pen and stationary. She had not forgotten the public statement that the Star Sibyl asked her to make. Every time she thought about it, she felt as if her stomach was trying to digest a stone. It simply sat on her nerves like a water spider looms on the water. She had postponed it for a while, but thought she should not procrastinate too long.

For about fifteen minutes, Chykisasa simply sat on her bed and stared at the paper, which sat on a board spread over her lap. She went through several ideas in her head, from the introduction to the actual body and wording. Periodically she would bring the pen tip close to the paper as if to write, however she would reconsider, and bring it back to her side.

Finally, Chykisasa decided on a format. She was both very careful and elaborate with her handwriting—knowing it would eventually be released to the press for to be copied to the newspaper, to inform those who were not able to make it to the announcement. In the second paragraph, she swiftly lifted the quill and pulled it away from the paper in one fluid motion. She had nearly made a mistake—she was going to put a cross through an “i” rather than dotting it. Chykisasa took a small breath, and pressed on.

After she finished the paragraph, Chykisasa stopped abruptly. Her thoughts escaped her—her vision of what the speech was going to be was suddenly blurred. She wasn’t even sure if she had a plan for this part of the speech in the first place. It was the place where an explanation as to what the Yagudo did to her seemed like the most appropriate thing to mention. However, she did not know how to kindly approach the problem. Chykisasa wanted to explain the absolute truth, however, at the same time, she did not want the affair to scare the Windurstians into a desperate fear of the Yagudo. She wanted to skip the section altogether, but something in the back of her mind made her feel guilty each time she raised the pen to do so.

The emotional strain made her thoughts spiral back into the depression she had felt while in captivity. Chykisasa felt trapped—cornered between what she couldn’t escape from, and yet wanted to find a way to evade anyway. She couldn’t stand the feeling; it made her feel like a mouse trapped under the paw of a lion. She was already small and without a voice. Anything else that meant to demean her sense of existence and pride infuriated her.

And yet…she had to give in. She could not rebel against the people of Windurst who treated her like a freak, and she could not rebuke the Yagudo who enslaved her. They were inescapable facts in which she could not rise above. Both had such a bearing on her body and emotions that they seemed to intend on breaking her pride and turning her into a crouching, submissive mouse. They had conspired and worked to warp her into nothing, and would not stop until they succeeded…

The conflicting ideals spiraled in Chykisasa’s head like a whirlpool. A battle between her psychological perspective on herself and the facts of her life raged. Memories of the Yagudo taunting her and Shantotto supporting her flashed by one after the other, as if jousting to gain victory over the other.

Shantotto’s eyes drifted away from her book and settled on the screen at the other end of the room. It had been a while since she heard Chykisasa stir. Her eyes narrowed and focused on the silhouette of Chykisasa. Chykisasa was motionless, and her head was hanging. She carefully set her book aside, stood, and tiptoed toward the screen.

As the distance between herself and the screen became small, Shantotto realized something was terribly wrong. She sensed an unusual energy in her midst. Surprisingly, came across to her as familiar. “Chykisasa?” she quietly breathed as if the wind of her words would make the entire room unstable. “Chykisasa, what is going on over there? I sense something strange is in the air…”

Shantotto looked behind the screen to see a shivering Chykisasa. She was sitting on the edge of the bed with her eyes, absently rubbing her temples as if they ached. Shantotto rushed beside her and pulled the curtain of her hair away. “Chykisasa! Chyki, Chyki! Snap out of it!” she called, shaking Chykisasa by the shoulders. “Whatever is happening, do not submit!”

Susan>> Just smaller.
                    [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

Chykisasa heard her name being called, however it sounded as if an ant was crying it from the inside of a cave. It helped her regain a bit of mind presence, just enough to realize something was not right with her. Her memories were still about her, alternating between something horrific and something of great appeasement. But no matter what the image appeared before her, it only made Chykisasa more afraid. She waved her arms violently at them. “Stop! Stop, getaru away from me!” She heard herself cry. “Get away all of you! You’re hurting me!”

With every word she spoke, the vortex slowed. The images faded until they were barely visible at all. “Stay…away…” she exhaustedly whispered. Those last two words brought everything in her mind to a halt, leaving Chykisasa lying on her back, unbearably tired and nauseous.

Shantotto was relieved to find Chykisasa fully conscious again, but still could not figure out what had happened. “Chykisasa, are you alright? You’re still sweating all over and your face is white. What kind of trouble did you get yourself into? Who, or what, was trying to hurt you?”

Chykisasa’s eyes opened and studied Shantotto. “But…how did she…how could she…” she asked in her mind, while trying to lift her body up. Shantotto helped her rise gently, hoping that her nausea wouldn’t cause a mess on the sheets. Chykisasa helped herself to her writing set and a spare piece of paper, which had been tossed aside during her spell.

She wrote a simple question: “How did you know I was being hurt?”

Shantotto’s eyes widened, suddenly realizing what had really happened just a moment ago. “Chykisasa, you spoke the words in your sleep. I heard you cry for help, and you nearly whapped with that arm sweep!”

Chykisasa sat for a moment, wondering if she should believe what she had been told. She closed her eyes and opened her mouth, yet no words came out. She shook her head at Shantotto, and began to write.

“I’m not exactly sure what happened. I was writing the statement for the Star Sibyl to read to Windurst when I began to think hard about all that has happened to me. I guess I delved in too far, and my Soul Voice began to take over.”

“Hm…that does make sense, I will agree,” Shantotto slowly said, individually weighing each word. “But, what exactly did you see?”

“That I’m not sure of either. I saw good things and terrible things at the same time. They switched off again and again in my mind. Eventually I got so confused it was frightening—I didn’t know what to believe.”

The two sat for a long time in silence, each keeping their thoughts to themselves. If Chykisasa could not control the Soul Voice while she was even thinking of the Yagudo, a direct confrontation would be disastrous.

Shantotto was the first to break from withdrawal, “Well, then we must learn to control how your Voice is released. Before we confront the beastmen, we must learn to compromise with this beast!” Shantotto patted Chykisasa on the back, and Chykisasa nodded solemnly in agreement. “And the first step in doing so is to get a good night’s rest. We can’t have you training all tired and stressed!”

Shantotto hopped off the bed, taking Chykisasa’s writing utensils with her. “And now it is time to say good night. I’m keeping an eye on you—don’t even think about turning on a light!” she warned, putting the writing set on the table. Chykisasa mouthed good night, somehow managing to crack a small smile.

Chykisasa quickly went into a dreamless sleep. Soul Voice had drained her mind of all images and creations, giving her a calm and recuperative rest. The only downside to this good fortune was that she woke up unusually early. She sighed, reluctant to leave this perfect state of tranquility, and sat up.

On her nightstand was an eternally lit punk, which Shantotto herself crafted. It never burned itself out, hardly put out any smoke at all, and was safe to be left alone for long periods of time. It could only be put out by force, and made matches obsolete and wasteful.

Chykisasa used the punk to light her candle. When she put the punk back in its place, the stationary caught her eye. She stared at the two paragraphs in recollection of last night’s episode. A new persistence washed over her there in the dark. She was tired of being weak, losing control, and always having to hold back. Chykisasa quickly, but silently, took up the paper and board. She pulled up the quill and the bottle of ink and swiftly prepared them for use. Quill and paper met without reluctance or fear.

The statement was done within the next twenty minutes. Chykisasa proudly smiled at it. She had finally done something deceiving and undercover without Shantotto knowing a thing about it.

…Or so she thought.

“You’re supposed to be resting, as we agreed. Just what are you doing up, young lady?”

Chykisasa jumped and gaped at a fully dressed Shantotto whose arms were angrily crossed. Shantotto tapped her foot as Chykisasa’s shaking hand wrote a response on scrap paper. Shantotto snatched the paper away from her, and pursed her lips as she read. “I have rested enough, but I really wanted to get that statement done before we left. I completed it without any strange goings on, though it’s strange. I thought about the very same things last night, but it didn’t stimulate my Soul Voice at all this time.”

“I really don’t think it is your thoughts, but how you react to them. Soul Voice seems to be acting as a defense mechanism. Let’s say you are very angry or afraid. Only then will it come to your aid. Otherwise, you can think about anything you want.” Shantotto took the paper and gently swiped Chykisasa’s head. “But don’t you dare think my rules you can flaunt! Now get up, get dressed, and break your fast! Soon enough you will see your lover at last.”

Chykisasa sighed in agony, flinging her body on the bed in refusal. Shantotto rolled her eyes. “Oho, fine, I’ll put the food away away. You will simply have no meal today!” Chykisasa’s ears perked up, and she rose again. She began writing a response, but Shantotto started walking away halfway through.

Chykisasa let out a sharp, shrill whistle, making Shantotto wince. She finished up writing as Shantotto came back in a huff, irritably snatching the paper and reading aloud: “I will come as long as you tell me how you get everything ready so silently. Do you sleep in your clothes and put breakfast out before you go to bed or something? Or are you simply the ghost hag of Windurst?”

Shantotto read the last sentence in a higher octave out of pure astonishment. She glared at Chykisasa with a look in her eyes that would normally send the victim into a fetal position. Chykisasa swore she actually heard a growl emit from Shantotto’s lower throat. Shantotto continued to hold the leer as she slowly crumpled the paper in her tightening grasp.

Suddenly, the glare disappeared. Shantotto’s eyes face turned delightful—so much so that mischief also glossed the smile, “Fine, I will tell you how I manage to silently roam. BUT: today you must train so hard that I must drag you home! If you want to be enlightened of my secret, you’ll have to suffer a day you’ll not soon forget!”

Chykisasa nodded in submission, however she wrote one more response on another piece of paper: “You’ve got a deal, but first we have to take the statement to Heavens Tower. I will also be informing her of my plan, so don’t cause too much trouble outside. Promise?” Shantotto, having no other option, agreed.

When Chykisasa was finished dressing, she realized that it was nearly 7:00. It was an overcast morning, and so she was deceived by the dark tint of the light which came through Shantotto’s small windows. She ate a quick but hearty meal of toast, jam, and juice. As she ate, she wondered when Uchi-Buychi would show up. They decided to wait a bit longer for him to arrive even after Chykisasa had finished eating and Shantotto had packed their infamous picnic basket. At 7:30, they agreed to go to Heavens Tower and then drop by Uchi's later to see what had happened.

The usuals of Windurst Walls were very used to Chykisasa and Shantotto leaving this early in the morning, and paid no mind. However, the usuals of Heavens Tower were intrigued and slightly frightened by their presence—specifically Shantotto’s.

The guards outside the entrance portal kindly greeted Chykisasa as she entered, however they were visibly disheartened when they realized Shantotto was going to wait outside. Shantotto looked at them and smirked with amusement, and turned to gaze at the moat which surrounded the Great Star Tree. Even though she could not see them, she knew that they were still being unnecessarily wary. “Little fools, they should not be guards! Being around Shantotto is not that hard,” she muttered to herself.

Chykisasa gratefully accepted her usual greetings and the doors that opened in front of her. She had been to Heavens Tower so often already that no one thought twice about letting her into the more exclusive upper chambers. Her allowance was also enforced by the Star Sibyl, who specifically told all of her guards that she was to have as much access to the upper levels of the Tower as the Ministers did.

The Star Sibyl had gotten up early to gaze into the Star Spring, and was nearly finished when Chykisasa arrived. They met less than ten minutes later.

“Chykisasa, it’s good to see you again. How are you?” Chykisasa’s mouth formed into a small, meaningful smile, and she held out an elaborately decorated envelope, with the underlined word “Public Statement” clearly labeled on the back. “Thank you for preparing this statement. I will not read it in advance, I am sure that you have already included everything necessary,” she said, not even lifting her arm to open the envelope as she promised.

“I see you have another letter in hand, is there something you wish to tell me?” the Star Sibyl asked, in a more concerned than prying manner. Chykisasa hesitated before nodding, and handed over the plainly folded and informal paper. The Star Sibyl read it aloud, so that her ever present head guard Semih Lafihna would be included as well:

“Your Holiness, I think I have found a foolproof way to end this battle with the Yagudo once and for all. I have been doing some practicing in Sarutabaruta, and I believe I am nearing mastery of the Combat Bard ability Soul Voice. Even though I am mute, when I use the ability it gives me a voice.”

The Star Sibyl paused there in pure wonder. Semih Lafihna audibly gasped. Her eyes went to Chykisasa, who stood before her calmly, however edgy, as if she were awaiting some sort of punishment.The Sibyl wanted to say something in congratulations or support, however no proper words came to mind. She chose to go on:

“Several times now I have used my voice to vanquish monsters, and today I will try to take that power and mold it into controlled words. If I can master this ability and orally refuse servitude, the Yagudo will never be able argue, and this can end quickly.

However, I would like to receive your approval before I go any further. If you believe that it is too dangerous, I will stop all practice and we will try to sort it out diplomatically as originally planned. So I ask: Do you, yourself, truly believe that this will work?
                      ”

The Star Sibyl intently focused on Chykisasa. Of all the things she thought Chykisasa would want—or even could—do about the Yagudo, orally refusing was something she naturally considered out of the question. She could not think of a direct and coherent answer at first, “Chykisasa…I think I can honestly tell you that this is the last thing I was expecting. I just don’t know what to say…” her voice trailed off and she paused to gather her thoughts. “Before I answer your question, I would like to know how…powerful this Soul Voice is. Just this morning when I addressed the celestial bodies, there was a lot to be said about you, and a very formidable force you were attempting to master. It was a very devastating sight to see—I thought it was vision of the Great War until I saw your face.”

Semih Lafihna handed Chykisasa a clipboard and fountain pen, and Chykisasa quickly went to answering the Sibyl’s question. The other two were silent and patient, not wanting to send her any signals to rush. In about a minute, Chykisasa held the board out to the Star Sibyl. Semih took the Sibyl’s other two papers so she could take the board and read:

“When I first used the ability in Shantotto’s manor, ma’am, I found out I had to use my strongest emotions to unlock the power. The visions of the Yagudo were so powerful that I was knocked unconscious. When I came to, I was able to use the ability just as other Bards would. However, it is much more difficult for me because I do not have my own voice as an outlet of emotions. My Soul Voice becomes…zealous, if you will, when I use it. It is eager to let out my feelings and thoughts, and if I am not careful, it can be dangerous to others near me. Shantotto stays far out to the side to be ready to protect me if things get too far out of hand.

However, I have noticed that controlling my Voice becomes much easier with each time I use the ability. Yesterday I could nearly use words, and I think I will be able to say something coherent today. I don’t think it will be too long before I can let out my Voice in small, safe amounts, so the Yagudo do not get the wrong message when I use it.
                      ”

“I see…” the Sibyl began, her eyes showing that the news deeply distraught her. “I think you already know how much I do not like adding the element of danger to a situation unnecessarily, however if you can master this ability, I will let you go through with it. What the Yagudo said about them having foolproof evidence of their ownership greatly troubles me, and if you can legitimately break the contract, this can end soon and without question. You have my full support, and I wish you the best of luck, for the sake of yourself, and for the people of Windurst.

But please be aware of this: I will not think any less of you if you cannot harness this power. If you do not think you can be ready in six days, do not hesitate to tell me so. I would not mind in the least preparing to legally debate with the Yagudo, I made a promise,” the Star Sibyl concluded, looking directly into Chykisasa’s eyes. Chykisasa nodded, and clearly mouthed the words “Thank You.”

“You’re welcome,” the Sibyl replied. “You may leave now, I do not want to cut short your training time. Be safe.” Chykisasa bowed low, and exited towards the stairs, just as quietly as she had entered.

The Star Sibyl started off towards her chambers; however Semih Lafihna lingered in her place, staring at the beginning of the stairway that Chykisasa had just left behind. The Sibyl turned around, “Is something wrong, Semih?”

Semih snapped out of her daze. “No, ma’am—it’s nothing. It’s just…I thought that when Chykisasa mouthed thanks just therrre…I thought I heard something like a whisper. It could have been anything, though. Things like that happen all the time—it comes with having overly-acute earrrs,” she said, dismissing the subject almost too quickly.

The Sibyl stood in her own place for a moment, and soon dismissed Semih to go to her daily duties. She went back to her typical place of star reading, with Semih’s words still echoing in her mind. “All the time, yet at that very moment…” she mused, summoning the energy to address the stars, but this time on an entirely new matter.

Susan>> Just smaller.
                      [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

nice chapter, i still like it... i started writing another story that involves my linkshell and they seem to like it... maybe i do have a thing for writing so maybe i will post a story on here, but id rather finish the one im making for my linkshell first before anything. Anyways, great chapter looking forward to the next one

Comment

You're welcome :D

And, I would like to say one, enigmatic thing about the ending of this chapter: Fear not: I am against 100% ideal, happily ever after endings. In other words...don't go assuming anything about where I'm going with Chykisasa's voice Not one way or the other.

Susan>> Just smaller.
                          [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

if you ended the story with Chykisasa getting her voice id have to hit you... i dont really like those types of stories either, most of mine end in some sort of dramatic thing that scars everyone for life lol (no i wouldnt really hit you)

Comment

:O

Is that...a threat?! ASSAULT!

*hides from the virtual punch*

Susan>> Just smaller.
                              [GM]Dave>> ...

Comment

couldve sworn i said i wouldnt hit you... cuz then there would be no story! no hitting you... i wont

Comment

Working...
                                X