• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mhurron
    replied
    Re: Is there going to be more expansion

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
    I think they needed the old servers for something, and that's why they rushed the merge.
    You know, SE can afford new computers. They merged worlds with dwindling populations that were still losing players. The initial populations were large because of the same reason the population goes up after any update, but they have calmed down and are back to about their 2007 levels.

SE merged the worlds because they were going to start loosing players because of other players leaving. In general, retired servers get retired.

Leave a comment:

• Elwynn
    replied

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
    ROFL!! What say you now!?

I wonder if eventually they'll shut down the FFXI servers?
    That first reply to this thread really is funny in hindsight because I would have said something like that too, a mere two months ago. Not that I didn't want to see the level cap raised, but I was sure that SE didn't and wouldn't.

However, I think they rushed the server moves by a few months before they were really needed. They ended up creating merged servers with populations rivalling the two servers that they currently had closed for overpopulation.

I think they needed the old servers for something, and that's why they rushed the merge. At first I thought they might be repurposing them for Abyssea instances (remember that each "world" probably consists of a dozen or more server machines, so eight worlds worth of servers could be easily parted out to 24 worlds), but then I heard a crazy rumor from someone that the devs needed more test servers badly, Atomos alone just wasn't enough, and that's why they did it.

Leave a comment:

• Pwnagraphic
    replied

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
    Here's to hoping they don't prove ME wrong too.
    You didn't say never, so it probly won't happen ha.

Leave a comment:

• Durahansolo
    replied

Originally posted by Pwnagraphic View Post
    ROFL!! WHERE IS YOUR ALTANA NOW?!
    Fixed?

Leave a comment:

• KingOfZeal
    replied

I'm sure they'll get shut down eventually. It's impractical (business-wise) to keep substantial resources like the servers for FFXI running indefinitely. With that said, they've already shown that they're willing to consolidate servers due to low populations, and many people have expressed interests in never stopping to play. Toward the end I imagine it would be one server with just a couple thousand people on it.

Here's to hoping they don't prove ME wrong too.

Leave a comment:

• Pwnagraphic
    replied

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    They haven't raised the cap since Rise of the Zilart for several specific reasons.

(1) It would unbalance the entire game, learn more about the subjob system and you'll see why they won't do it.

(2) It would obsolete older endgame content, no on wants that. Everyone else does it like its going out of style, but SE has stood by their content this long so everyone can still experience it. Given everyone can level all 20 jobs if they so choose, they have to keep that content relevant.

When an expansion comes, it will bring us new zones and new content. The cap, however, will never rise above 75 unless they want to completely destroy the game or have some serious plans to revamp the existing job balance. At this point in the game's life, probably best to tweak around what we have rather than raise the cap further than 75.
    ROFL!! What say you now!?

I wonder if eventually they'll shut down the FFXI servers?

Leave a comment:

• Yellow Mage
    replied

Holy crap, this thread started in the December of 2009?

Seems so freaking long ago . . .

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy
    replied

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    They haven't raised the cap since Rise of the Zilart for several specific reasons.

(1) It would unbalance the entire game, learn more about the subjob system and you'll see why they won't do it.

(2) It would obsolete older endgame content, no on wants that. Everyone else does it like its going out of style, but SE has stood by their content this long so everyone can still experience it. Given everyone can level all 20 jobs if they so choose, they have to keep that content relevant.

When an expansion comes, it will bring us new zones and new content. The cap, however, will never rise above 75 unless they want to completely destroy the game or have some serious plans to revamp the existing job balance. At this point in the game's life, probably best to tweak around what we have rather than raise the cap further than 75.

I lol'd.

Leave a comment:

• Feba
    replied

Originally posted by Cruciation View Post
    I think it's kinda funny how perspectives change.

Leave a comment:

• Cruciation
    replied

New to the forum, so "Hi all!"

I think it's kinda funny how perspectives change. I've been lurking for a few days, this is the only ffxi forum that websense doesn't block..., so I've been reading quite a bit on everything.

I'd be interested to hear what your opinions and thoughts are about the lvl99 cap thingy.

(about myself a tad: Took my rng to lvl75 in 2004, played endgame for a bit. Got sea within a month of it coming out (damn that was hard pre-nerf). Deleted toon due to RL obligations, restarted a new toon to play casually with my brother. Deployed for 18 months, came back played for a few months (got sea for my brothers account), quit for a couple more years, now playing again to dust off the MMO skills for XIV coming out. So on again - off again - on again over the past 6 years... and I have to get sea... again...)

Leave a comment:

• Lmnop
    replied

Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
    "Of course there will/won't be more expansions. SE would have to be daft to cease/continue supporting FFXI once FFXIV is out, given how many people continue to play/leave the game and given how great/horrible a game it's become."
    Am I the only person deriving a sad measure of satisfaction with taking the wrong segments to mash into a conglomerate sentence?

Leave a comment:

• Lunaryn
    replied

"Of course there will/won't be more expansions. SE would have to be daft to cease/continue supporting FFXI once FFXIV is out, given how many people continue to play/leave the game and given how great/horrible a game it's become."

On the specific issue of 75 cap, though, SE's said many times over many years that they're satisfied with the level cap of 75 being permanent. Many people feel the balance concerns from raising the cap again could be overwhelming. I don't think we'll see it raised again.

Leave a comment:

• KingOfZeal
    replied

You might be able to say that 15 years from now Dak.

Leave a comment:

• DakAttack
    replied

Um, what are you guys talking about? FFXI was closed down five years ago...

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Profit is hardly an issue; FFXI climbed past the break-even point before its first birthday, IIRC.

Fit and polish always takes more manpower than the management first believes. They add engineers and use up slack time built into the schedule to compensate. And, progress would slow yet again. So they start tossing warm bodies and dropping feature and extending deadlines... And still things don't look any better with new bug rate going up along with spike in code change...

Just before the roll out, a major project is like a black hole--that sucking noise you hear is FF14 draining all the devs and QAs from FF11--sweat, tear, blood, life, soul, humanity, firstborns, and all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X