Is there going to be more expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there going to be more expansion

Is there going to be more expansion so we can get past lv 75?

Re: Is there going to be more expansion

They haven't raised the cap since Rise of the Zilart for several specific reasons.

(1) It would unbalance the entire game, learn more about the subjob system and you'll see why they won't do it.

(2) It would obsolete older endgame content, no on wants that. Everyone else does it like its going out of style, but SE has stood by their content this long so everyone can still experience it. Given everyone can level all 20 jobs if they so choose, they have to keep that content relevant.

When an expansion comes, it will bring us new zones and new content. The cap, however, will never rise above 75 unless they want to completely destroy the game or have some serious plans to revamp the existing job balance. At this point in the game's life, probably best to tweak around what we have rather than raise the cap further than 75.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I'd really be surprised if SE made another expansion for XI. More than likely they're waiting to see how XIV will affect XI's subscription numbers. Unless it's profitable (and really at this point the game is like 8 years old, it's likely to get shutdown in another 2 years) I doubt they'll make any more past WotG which still isn't even going to be complete until next year.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I think you're underestimating addiction, Mal.

You're still playing for a Maat's Cap, after all. Whatever that's supposed to prove I don't know, but there are people waaaaay less willing to let go of FFXI than you are. "I don't want to lose all my accomplishments" and all that.

There's a reason EQ is alive and well today.

Comment

And UO.
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
            And UO.

Yes UO is the perfect example that a MMORPG has the power to keep going.... forever ;p
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I think you're underestimating addiction, Mal.
              .../sigh...damn addictions...

I've decided whether i like XIV or not, i will be playing XI till the game shuts down (which i hope is never ^^)
              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Not to mention, you can very easily argue that FFXI has already hit it's "profitable" point -- that is, all the money they've brought in has offset all the costs related to it, from the servers to development, including all the maintenance and expansions already released.

If they were to develop another expansion, those related costs would already be offset by previous profits, so any sales would just add onto that profit.

So any expansions should and would never take into account 'profit', but rather diminishing returns. So long as there enough subscribers to cover future maintenance costs when an expansion is released, then there's no question regarding money.
                Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  When an expansion comes, it will bring us new zones and new content.
                  ...hopefully

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  I'd really be surprised if SE made another expansion for XI. More than likely they're waiting to see how XIV will affect XI's subscription numbers. Unless it's profitable (and really at this point the game is like 8 years old, it's likely to get shutdown in another 2 years) I doubt they'll make any more past WotG which still isn't even going to be complete until next year.
                  At worst they'll just keep making dlc mini-expansions but this game most certainly will not just "shutdown" in two years.
                  "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Profit is hardly an issue; FFXI climbed past the break-even point before its first birthday, IIRC.

Fit and polish always takes more manpower than the management first believes. They add engineers and use up slack time built into the schedule to compensate. And, progress would slow yet again. So they start tossing warm bodies and dropping feature and extending deadlines... And still things don't look any better with new bug rate going up along with spike in code change...

Just before the roll out, a major project is like a black hole--that sucking noise you hear is FF14 draining all the devs and QAs from FF11--sweat, tear, blood, life, soul, humanity, firstborns, and all.
                    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Um, what are you guys talking about? FFXI was closed down five years ago...

Comment

You might be able to say that 15 years from now Dak.
                        Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                        90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                        70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                        52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

"Of course there will/won't be more expansions. SE would have to be daft to cease/continue supporting FFXI once FFXIV is out, given how many people continue to play/leave the game and given how great/horrible a game it's become."

On the specific issue of 75 cap, though, SE's said many times over many years that they're satisfied with the level cap of 75 being permanent. Many people feel the balance concerns from raising the cap again could be overwhelming. I don't think we'll see it raised again.
                          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                          Clothcraft 24
                          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
                            "Of course there will/won't be more expansions. SE would have to be daft to cease/continue supporting FFXI once FFXIV is out, given how many people continue to play/leave the game and given how great/horrible a game it's become."
                            Am I the only person deriving a sad measure of satisfaction with taking the wrong segments to mash into a conglomerate sentence?
                            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

New to the forum, so "Hi all!"

I think it's kinda funny how perspectives change. I've been lurking for a few days, this is the only ffxi forum that websense doesn't block..., so I've been reading quite a bit on everything.

I'd be interested to hear what your opinions and thoughts are about the lvl99 cap thingy.

(about myself a tad: Took my rng to lvl75 in 2004, played endgame for a bit. Got sea within a month of it coming out (damn that was hard pre-nerf). Deleted toon due to RL obligations, restarted a new toon to play casually with my brother. Deployed for 18 months, came back played for a few months (got sea for my brothers account), quit for a couple more years, now playing again to dust off the MMO skills for XIV coming out. So on again - off again - on again over the past 6 years... and I have to get sea... again...)

Comment

Working...
                              X