Trying to understand weapon skill training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand weapon skill training

So if I am reading correctly you can only train your weapon skills on enemies that are are your level? I'm level 11 and have not done 2h axe yet (I'm a WAR). Does that mean if I want to train it I'd have to go to dunes and party to train it? :[

Re: Trying to understand weapon skill training

*ahem*

I'll handle this boy's and girl's!

Weapon skills are such as:

Warrior:
    A+ Great Axe
    A- Axe
    B+ Sword
    C Ranged attack
    etc.

(for the sake of making this quick those aren't accurate, and I don't have quick access to wiki to post correct skill caps)

A+ at lvl 75 caps at 276??? I'm pretty sure...so for the sake of this info we'll say so

As you progress in Weapon skill each level has a cap that it is limited to.
    Lvl1 = 10 great axe skill cap
    Lvl2 = 13 Great axe skill cap
    etc.

You get weapon skill up points for killing MOB's (monster of battle) that give your character experience points. You could catch your great axe up to your normal axe by killing easy prey, decent challenge's, Even matches, or anything above that. (toughs, etc)

Once you hit the cap for your level when you view it, it will be Blue Text instead of white.

As a warrior, I would spend the next few lvl's in Konschat highlands, or La Theine plateau, or the 2nd zone from windy, killing easy prey's, DC's until your Great axe is lvl'd up, maybe not capped off, but lvl'd up some, and then you'll have access to shield break, if i'm not mistaken Which is a Weapon skill that reduces the monsters Evasion, making you and your party hit it more often, and causing Armando and Yellowmage to smile.

When you get into parties as a WAR/no-sub you can still be benificial to the party greatly with Shield break. this will help your LVL progression as well as your weapon skill up's

But you can still skill up your Gaxe without having a party, it's just usually slower, as Tough's and Incredibly Tough's have a much higher chance of skilling up your Gaxe.

Comment

Each monster has a maximum skill level you can reach by fighting it which is approximately 3 times the monster's level. Once you are at that level you will no longer gain skills from that monster and will need higher level monsters to gain more skill. (Assuming that your skill isn't capped for your level, see ShepardG's post above).

On the other hand, a monster doesn't have to give you experience points to give you skill, if your skill is low enough. If you have 0 great axe skill, even gustaberg/ronfaure/sarutabaruta mobs can give you some skill (up to the mid-20s I think depending on which mob).

In order to get great axe all the way to cap, you would have to fight enemies your level or higher. But you can at least get it to somewhere closer to cap by fighting easy prey, and then when you do join a party with it, you'll be able to hit and gain more skill.
      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Shep, quick nitpick:

Some of your information isn't accurate. Please double check it before you dispense it. If you can't, please wait for someone that can to give it. Giving out misinformation, even unintentionally, can cause more problems than they're worth.

For the OP, here's some info that can help you greatly: Weapons Skill Caps for Warrior. That lists the skill caps per level, by weapon. That way, you know where your skill should be versus where it actually is. This info will also help you to determine the proper mobs (which, btw, stands for Mobile OBjects) to go after.

To find said proper mobs to go after, use this: Weapon Skill Up Calculator. It's towards the bottom, and is actually incredibly accurate as to the mobs you should go for. You do not need to have the mob give you any EXP for your weapon to gain skill, as it is the weapon's skill versus the mob that's important, not your job level. If you're starting from scratch with a weapon, more than likely you're better off starting off killing mobs a level 1 should be killing, and go from there. The skill ups will happen, and you can move on to gradually harder and harder mobs until you're within reach of your actual cap. Starting off on mobs that give you EXP will net you far lower results, as you won't be able to hit with the weapon in the first place.

And as a final note, Warrior as a job is most skilled with Great Axes (A+), followed up closely by Axe (A-). While they can use other weapons, they're best using those two more often than not. Focus on Great Axe first, then Axe as you progress, as for a Warrior, both are important.

And use Shield Break. For the love of God, use Shield Break.

Comment

If you've never used it before, the best thing to do would be to head back to sarutabaruta/ronfaure/gustaberg (meaning, the lower level zones) and kill weak stuff. When you stop getting skillups from one type of mob, head to something stronger.

The mob does NOT have to give you exp to get the skillups. I don't know where he got that info. Also, Mob stands for Mobile OBject. It's an old Everquest term.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
          Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
          I live to entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
            On the other hand, a monster doesn't have to give you experience points to give you skill, if your skill is low enough. If you have 0 great axe skill, even gustaberg/ronfaure/sarutabaruta mobs can give you some skill (up to the mid-20s I think depending on which mob).
            I did not even know that!

GAAAWWAAIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN good info floating around here! LOOOKKKKIT!!!

Mobile Object....I didn't know that either! I love this game!
            Last edited by ShepardG; 01-15-2009, 06:53 AM. Reason: MISAWA!

Comment

Originally posted by aegina View Post
              The mob does NOT have to give you exp to get the skillups. I don't know where he got that info. Also, Mob stands for Mobile OBject. It's an old Everquest term.

wat.

I know mob is an EQ term (that's where I learned it) but I was always told it stood for Monster Or Beast, and eventually just ended up being a blanket term to describe enemies in every MMO.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

"Mob" stands for "You will probably understand what this word means from context the very first time you see it, and then everyone you know will try to tell you what it stands for until you just want to beat their heads in with a rusty boulder."

Yes, a rusty boulder.
                Ellipses on Fenrir
                There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                . . .

Comment

For skilling up, I usually just check to see what level my current skill equals, then go hit mobs a few levels higher. Roughly speaking, your "weapon level" being on the high end of any XP camp should do the trick ... just try not to get in over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                    "Mob" stands for "You will probably understand what this word means from context the very first time you see it, and then everyone you know will try to tell you what it stands for until you just want to beat their heads in with a rusty boulder."

Yes, a rusty boulder.
                    HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DAMN IT Ellipses! I woke my grandsons up when I busted out laughing! *shakes fist*
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post

Yes, a rusty boulder.
                      Aegina Starts castin Utsusemi
                      Aegina gains the effect of Copy Image.
                      Aegina Starts casting Stoneskin.
                      Aegina gains the effect of Stoneskin.
                      Aegina casts Phalanx.
                      Aegina gains the effect of Phalanx.
                      Aegina starts casting Enwater.
                      Aeginagains the effect of Enwater.

(Aegina) KK, I'm ready!

Aegina hits the Rusty Boulder for 0 damage.
                      Additional Effect: The rusty Boulder takes 0 points of damage.
                      Additional effect: the rusty boulder takes 0 points of damage.
                      Aegina's attack is countered by the Rusty Boulder. 1 of Aegina's shadows absorbs the damage and disappears.
                      1 of Aegina's shadows absorbs the damage and disappears.
                      1 of Aegina's shadows absorbs the damage and disappears.
                      Additional Effect: The Rusty Boulder takes 0 damage.
                      Aegina misses the Rusty Boulder.
                      The Rusty Boulder hits Aegina for 142 damage.
                      Aegina's Stoneskin effect wears off.
                      The Rusty Boulder hits Aegina for 429 damage.
                      Additional Effect: The Rusty Boulder takes 0 points of damage.
                      Additional Effect: The Rusty Boulder takes 0 points of damage.

(Aegina) oh, crap!

Aegina uses Chainspell.
                      Aegina starts casting Cure IV.
                      The Rusty Boulder hits Aegina for 452 points of damage.
                      The Rusty Boulder scores a critical hit! Aegina takes 978 points of damage.

Aegina was defeated by the Rusty Boulder.
                      Aegina falls to level 74.
                      Screenshot saved.

(Aegina) I shoulda tried dot/kiting it >.>

Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                      I live to entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by aegina View Post
                        Screenshot saved.
                        Now that made it funnie lmao

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                          Now that made it funnie lmao
                          I live to entertain

I live to entertain!

Comment

Working...
                          X