another 'where do i go at this level' thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another 'where do i go at this level' thread

@ 58 right now with the Bard...been camping at Wajaom Woodlands since 54. The Lesser Colibri are giving weak xp and I'm tired of my party dying from Sickle Slash with the Aht Urghan Attercops lol Bhaflau Thickets has the same birds, and it's pretty much all I've battled the last week...

I'm new to the area(Whitegate/Al Zahbi/Wajaom/Bhaflau), but curious where else ppl go at this level for experience points. Granted I still have to do LB3, but where else can I go?
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Re: another 'where do i go at this level' thread

Campsitarus.

And the good news is, you never need to ask again!
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

In addition to Campsitarus, I feel it's essential to give you a brief overview of how EXP is calculated and how monster level differences affect players, for the simple reason that people are dumb and will camp a given zone too early.

First thing you gotta know is that EXP is based off of the highest level character/pet on the mob's hate list. Some people are superstitious about level gaps. The only penalty for having a party member 3 levels lower than the highest is that that person would perform better if he were 3 levels higher. Other than that, it's not going to affect the other party member's EXP, and the EXP penalty that member takes for being slightly lower in level is insignificant.

Second thing to know is that for every level that the mob is higher than you, your Attack, hit rate, and Magic Accuracy get penalized, the mob will do more damage, and miss less often. There is a big difference between fighting a mob when you're 6 levels lower than it and when you're 10 levels under than it, even if your stats stayed exactly the same. Melees in particular take a big hit, since every aspect of their job gets nerfed, whereas mages can at least still buff, cure, and Dispel as usual. In other words, fighting a mob that's too high for you is stupid, but people will do it anyways just because they can still kill it.

So the idea is to fight the lowest level mobs possible without getting sucky EXP. Go to this page and scroll down to the big colorful table. Left column is level difference, top row are the level ranges, and the numbers are the base EXP for the kill. To find out what you get in a party of 6, just multiply the number by 0.35. It varies a bit by level range, but in general you want to keep the level difference between +5 and +8 levels over the party. Lower than that and you'll be raking in pretty poor EXP, any higher and you're wasting effort on mobs that are too high for you.

Whenever your party suggests X camp and Y mobs, look up the mob's levels and pull up that EXP table to find out if they're overcamping. It's not unusual to see a party suggest mobs that are 8-10 levels higher than the party.

Comment

Even before all those fancy numbers, Apple Pie told us (like 3 years ago) that more than 9 levels above the pt is suicide, and useless.
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Working...
        X