Some Questions Before I Get Back In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions Before I Get Back In

Was thinking about getting back into FFXI but I have some questions before I make the jump. (I played about 2 years go)

1. Can you choose what server you want to play on now? (my wife and 2 friends want to play as well)

2. Is there any type of download trial available? I've looked without much luck and it seems bizarre that every other MMO game has a down loadable client and trial except FF. (again, we don't want to buy 4 copies of the game just to not like it)

3. Is lvling solo a viable option now to every class?

4. Any other new information that has changed about the game would me welcome, thanks!
    Last edited by joshuar56; 04-10-2008, 01:05 PM.

Re: Some Questions Before I Get Back In

1. Yes

2. No, but you can pick but a trial disc for PC in most Gamestops

3. No, they have not dumbed down FFXI. You still have to earn soloability it by levelling subjobs such as WHM, RDM, DNC, BLU or NIN. The addition of subjobs such as Dancer has made soloing more practical for most melee classes, however. BST, RDM, BLU, BLM, NIN, PLD, PUP, THF and DRG are still good soloist classes, too.

4. Too much to cover, read the update history on POL for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      2. No, but you can pick but a trial disc for PC in most Gamestops
      Well that stinks... closest gamestop is +60 miles, can you upgrade the trial to a full account later on or do you have to start over? Is the trail just the base game or are there expansions with it?

Comment

The trial disc does let you upgrade to the full version from that trail disc by purchasing activation codes online, but it does not include the Wings of the Goddess expansion, only the Rise of the Zilart through Treasures of Aht'Urghan expansions.

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. I'd go out and buy the game, but no one carries it within 100 miles, I called 6 walmarts, 3 best buys and 2 gamestops I also checked amazon and eb games/gamspot's online store and they're not selling either until the new collection comes out. I really wish SE had a downloadable client and that you could just purchase accounts from them.

Comment

well that good person there took care of ya. so I trashed my post.

omg ftw

Comment

Another thing, before when I was playing, and maybe I just didn't know what I was doing, but it seemed like after you got to lvl 10 you just found a group and would find a spot and grind on "onion heads" or goblin. Is this still the case or are there quite a few more quests that give actual xp?

Comment

if you want all of them it might be best just to order them from the actual square enix ffxi site. they have links to sites and stores that they send units to to order from. thats how i got mine. i could never find a store like walmart or gamestop that carried it so i just ordered it through them. which ended up linking me to amazon. thats where i got the two expansions separately as well as the collection that has the original game and rotz, then i just bought cop and treasures of aht urghan packs. that might help. just saying thats how i did it..... yeah!
                Thank you very much to Selphiie for this sig!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuar56 View Post
                  Another thing, before when I was playing, and maybe I just didn't know what I was doing, but it seemed like after you got to lvl 10 you just found a group and would find a spot and grind on "onion heads" or goblin. Is this still the case or are there quite a few more quests that give actual xp?

This is still pretty much the case, but if you're getting into the game with friends you could level in a duo/trio/whatever amount of people you'll be playing with instead of a full party.

Quests are really not a source of exp at all. Monies and itam only for the most part.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

the exp system in ffxi is still party up and grind until your eyes melt out of your head. you will find very few quests or mission that give exp as the reward and even those are through items that gives you exp and can only be used once. quests give you items, small amounts of gil, and fame. missions give you rank.

higher fame= lower cost for items from npc's and access to more quests.
                    higher rank= longer lasting signet, and better items from the conquest guards. there are also some other fun prizes such as aiship pass at rank 5 and such.
                    Death and taxes...
                    Death and taxes...
                    DEATH and taxes...
                    I think I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by assumedvigilance View Post
                      the exp system in ffxi is still party up and grind until your eyes melt out of your head.
                      Heh. A party working well together is a thing of beauty. Granted, it's not every party, but when you have something like tank, Samurai x2, Scholar x2, and Red Mage, it's Skillchain and triple Magic Burst every fight for good times and fast experience points. (That's my last party on SCH43.)

Originally posted by assumedvigilance View Post
                      you will find very few quests or mission that give exp as the reward and even those are through items that gives you exp and can only be used once. quests give you items, small amounts of gil, and fame. missions give you rank.
                      Yeah, instead of grinding exp by doing endless "kill 6 of this", "bring back 10 of that" quests, you just go out and defeat endless monsters without talking to NPCs (except for getting Signet/Sanction/Sigil).

I think in some other game(s) you can get experience points for being offline--rather crazy concept, IMO. Can't do that in FFXI, of course. The party for experience points mode of operation in FFXI is both a source of delight and frustration, but S-E has opened up soloing and small group for exp a lot more in the last few years, so one isn't as limited to a six-man party for exp these days.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I'm pretty disappointed to hear that... that sounds very boring and redundant... Is there much end game content, raid type encounters for instance?

Comment

I'm pretty disappointed to hear that... that sounds very boring and redundant... Is there much end game content, raid type encounters for instance?
                          There is a pretty wide variety of endgame content, yes. Furthermore, because of the nearly-forced partying for XP, endgame players in general are more competent in such situations than the same players would be in a game that allows easy soloing to 75. In short, think of it as being practice not just for your character, but for you too. -- Pteryx

Comment

I'm pretty disappointed to hear that... that sounds very boring and redundant...
                            Some of us think soloing to max level by doing one mind numbingly similar quests after another sounds boring and redundant. At least with partying, one gets to meet different people in pick up groups, or get to hang out with friends if in a static party.

Is there much end game content, raid type encounters for instance?
                            They vary from things which one may be able to solo or duo, to massive events which can accommodate 64 people at once. Each one I listed has multiple zones, with varying entry requirements. If that's not enough, there's always:These critters are divided up as "Sky", "Land", "Sea", and "ToAU" variety by players, I think. And, yes, more than on HNM in each category. (Note: Some would argue that "Sky" critters and most "Sea" critters don't count as HNMs, but S-E never gave a clear definition what is HNM or not, and endgame is a lot of arguing anyway, so don't mind that--just know that you do not go poke them before Lv.75 as a general rule, therefore, "endgame".)

Oh, there are also some challenging Kindred Seal based Battle Fields ("KSNM" in popular terms) and perhaps some Empty Notorious Monster fights ("ENM") you may elect to participate in.

Are those enough? (If you still have bundle of time left, there are always crafting, fishing, gardening, chocobo raising, etc.)
                            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Its not the fact that you have to grind with people that I have a problem with. But it would be nice if there were at least some content available wile leveling. Some kind of story behind why you're killing X amount of creatures and some reward for doing so.

You think killing the same creature over and over for 5 lvls is less boring than running around an entire zone doing quests with stories behindthem, and rewards for them?

Comment

Working...
                              X