This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Smithing 101?

I know it seems stupid that I am both a low level character and Gold Smith but I think we need a topic on Gold Smithing and hopefully my small contributions and work-in-progress guide will draw other experienced Gold Smiths to my aid.

Level 0-2
    Stone Arrowheads
    -2 Flint Stones
    -1 Wind Crystal
    -- OR--
    Copper Ingot
    -4 Copper Ore
    -1 Fire Crystal

You can also put those Copper Ingots to work making Rings and Hairpins. Arrowheads, just sell at AH San d'Oria AH on Bahamut they sell for 200 a stack. Now I used Rings and Hairpins when leveling to level 2 but I failed every once in a while so I suggest sticking with that.

Level 2-4
    Copper Ring
    -1 Fire Crystal
    -2 Copper Ingots
    --OR--
    Copper Hairpin
    -1 Wind Crystal
    -1 Copper Ingot

Thats about all the further I am at the moment. I would really like to get a Gold Smith guide going here so if a Journeymen or someone of high rank could help make this possible. If not I will continue this work-in-progress as I myself grow in skill. Thank you all very much.
    Creon Arcais - Rank 6 San d'Orian
    Black Mage-70 White Mage-41
    Red Mage-6 Monk-10
    Thief-47 Warrior-30
    Dark Knight-11 Summoner-26
    Ranger - 22 Dragoon - 15
    Samurai - 11 Bard - 10
    Ninja - 31 Paladin - 46

Dynamis LS - (Can I have it?)

Level 7-9
    Brass Ignots= Zinc Ore+(3x) Copper Ore+Fire Crystal
    Level 9-11
    Brass Sheets= Brass Ignot+Fire Crystal
    Level 11-13
    Brass Scales= Brass Sheet+Wind Crystal

OR

Level 11-16
    Brass Flowerpots= (3x)Brass Sheet+Fire Crystal

Level 16-20
    Silver Ignots= (4x) Silver Ore+Fire Crystal

Anyone else have anything to contribute?

These are the best things I know of, correct me if im wrong. I plan on trying some stuff out later. If it works out i'll post. If not i'll beg for help =)
    MNK:45 WAR:25 BST:24 WHM:19 THF:15 NIN:12 BLM:11 BRD:03
    Alchemy: 58
    Blacksmith: 40
    Fishing: 40
    Cooking: 33
    Goldsmith: 20

Comment

You could also use 4 silver beastcoins in place of silver ore for the silver ingots..they seem to cost a hair more but stack.
      The word gen means 'illusion' or 'apparition.' In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ['a master of illusion technique']. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.

Comment

Beastcoins are also 2 skill levels lower then the equivalent ore, so they are more likely to suceed.

Ie: Silver ingots made with 4x silver beastcoin caps at 18, silver ingots made with 4x silver ore caps at 20. And using Silver nugget recipe it caps at 22.

Comment

no one else has anything to contribute?
          MNK:45 WAR:25 BST:24 WHM:19 THF:15 NIN:12 BLM:11 BRD:03
          Alchemy: 58
          Blacksmith: 40
          Fishing: 40
          Cooking: 33
          Goldsmith: 20

Comment

wind + colored stone = various gems they are a bit above the silver recipe i think .. also when you hit about 20 i THINK you can make silver rings and other rings with the silver rings and colored gems
            The word gen means 'illusion' or 'apparition.' In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ['a master of illusion technique']. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.

Comment

This is the skill path I plan to take to 60.

Goldsmithing 1-3:
              Copper Ingot - 4 Copper Ore + Fire Crystal

Easy to do and very cheap.

Goldsmithing 3-9:
              Brass Ingots - 3 Copper Ore + 1 Zinc Ore + 1 Fire Crystal

Relatively cheap and I can sell a couple stacks if I really need money.

Goldsmithing 9-11:
              Brass Sheets - Brass Ingot + Fire Crystal

Same as Ingots, but I plan to save as much of these as I can.

Goldsmithing 11-14:
              Brass Flowerpot - 3 Brass Sheets + Fire Crystal

I sold some of these and the rest I sent to mules to do some gardening on the side with them.

Cheaper Skillpath 11-14:
              Brass Hairpins - Brass Ingot + Wind Crystal

Goldsmithing 14-18:
              Silver Ingots - 4 Silver Beastcoins + Fire Crystal

I plan to steal them so this'll be slow. But they're not that expensive.

Goldsmithing 18-20:
              Various Jewels - Colored rock + Wind Crystal

I'll be using these soon anyway so I figured I might as well skill on them. I plan to use the cheaper rocks or mine my own.

Goldsmithing 20-22:
              Silver Earrings - 2 Silver Ingots + Wind Crystal

Will be using these as well ^^

Alternate skillpath 20-24:
              Brass Hammer: Bronze Hammer + Brass Ingot + Fire Crystal

Goldsmithing 22-25:
              Jeweled Earrings: Silver Earring + Jewel of choice + Earth Crystal

I'll be selling these to the NPC or on the AH/Bazaar. Preferably the latter if I can.

Goldsmithing 25-27:
              Silver Hairpins: Silver Ingot + Wind Crystal

Fastest method. I'll probably put some on the AH and sell the rest to the NPC to prevent a flood of it's market.

Goldsmithing 27-31:
              Silver Rings: 2 Silver Ingots + Fire Crystal

I'll use these to further gain skills.

Goldsmithing 31-35:
              Jeweled Rings: Silver Ring + Jewel of choice + Earth Crystal

Goldsmithing 35-38:
              Mythril Ingots: 4 Mythril Beastcoins + Fire Crystal

I plan to steal these as well but you can buy it for faster results. I'll be saving them if I can help it.

Goldsmithing 38-42:
              Mythril Earrings: 2 Mythril Ingots + Wind Crystal

I'll be selling these on the AH/Bazaar but most likely to NPCs. The HQ jewels are too pricy and is just not worth making on my own just for skill-gains.

Goldsmithing 42-47:
              Mythril Ring: 2 Mythril Ingots + Fire Crystal

Now you know why I wanted to save all those Mythril Ingots I made. I'll probably sell these to the NPC too.

Goldsmithing 47-52:
              Mythril Degans: 2 Mythril Ingots + 1 Iron Ingot + Fire Crystal

Needs around level 20-30 smithing support but this is cheaper then throwing my money on Gold Ingots. But if I steal enough Gold Beastcoins, i'll probably turn those into Ingots till skill level 51.

Goldsmithing 52-53:
              Gold Ingots: 4 Gold Ore + Fire Crystal

It's only for one skill level so I shouldn't lose too much.

Goldsmithing 53-58:
              Spark Rapier: Mythril Ingot + Rapier + Earth Crystal

I'll sell all these to the NPC if they don't sell well on the AH. But I know i'll sell more then half to the NPC for sure so I don't flood the market.

Goldsmithing 58-60:
              Mythril Cuisses: 2 Mythril Sheet + Ram Leather + Fire Crystal

I think this is cheaper then working with Gold Ingots. Of course, i'll use the Gold Ingots I have to make some Gold Rings to sell off. This can actually take you to skill 62 but since this isn't my main craft, i'm stopping at 60.

But before all this...i'm going to try to save up around a million gil. Hopefully I can power synth my way through half of the recipes to make up for the Beastcoins I go out to steal.
              Craft skills:
              Leathercraft: 91+1
              Smithing: 54
              Weaving: 60
              Alchemy: 60
              Bonecraft: 39
              Woodworking: 47
              Cooking: 41
              Goldsmithing: 53
              Fishing: 55

http://s7.invisionfree.com/TheCraft

Comment

Impressive. I just got back to mining I will have to follow that guild through. Thanks.
                Creon Arcais - Rank 6 San d'Orian
                Black Mage-70 White Mage-41
                Red Mage-6 Monk-10
                Thief-47 Warrior-30
                Dark Knight-11 Summoner-26
                Ranger - 22 Dragoon - 15
                Samurai - 11 Bard - 10
                Ninja - 31 Paladin - 46

Dynamis LS - (Can I have it?)

Comment

WoW hope ill def. be writing this down! and im lvl 5 goldsmithing now and im makeing brassingots already... only on Iceday though so im getting almost no fails

Also how much does fire crystals go for<in stacks> on ur server......2.3k on Gilgamesh

Lol ALSO <last one> u can make money easy from selling stacks of Silver Ingots for 25k at AH in Gilgamesh so u can make most money from that.....also copper ingots go for 3.5k a stack in AH
                  Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills, get
                  up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

<(o_0<) <(o_o)> (>0_o)> (kirby likes to dance)

Bastok Rank 4
                  Others Rank 1

Comment

WoW hope ill def. be writing this down! and im lvl 5 goldsmithing now and im makeing brassingots already... only on Iceday though so im getting almost no fails
                    Every dead body that is not exterminated, gets up and kills. The people it kills, get
                    up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

Bastok Rank 4
                    Others Rank 1

Comment

I did my first silver ignot at lvl 10, granted my next 2 tries I failed and didn't want to lose any more Gil. Found it alot better and easier to start making those at lvl 13 all the way till 20, unless you use the silver nugget recipe, till 22.

Maybe a slighty cheaper alternative for lvl's 20-23(24?) is bronze hammer and brass ignots + fire crystal which makes brass hammer. Dont get the hammer for 800+ from the AH(unless you have too) go to the shop in Bastok and get it for 357(maybe less for you, for you may have more fame im from Sand)

And that whole load of brass hammer which you may try to give away desythesis it, and get your brass ignot back and start over heh.......but more then likely you will get more bronze ignot then brass.
                      "I ain't a killa but don't push me..."

Comment

Slight mod from lvl 11/12 to 15

A slightly cheaper way to up your goldsmithing between 11-15, instead of making brass flowerpots with 3 brass sheets, make brass hairpings with 1 brass ingot. It's a bit more cost efficient. Also when you're done, and you're starting to work on silver, you can just De-synth the brass hairpins if they dont AH/bazar well to get the brass ingot back for the Brass hammer recipe.

-InSaNiTy
                        http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?5200

Comment

Hmm...that's a good point. I'll edit my path and try the ways suggested. I'll leave the original path as well for those who would rather do that.

I'm already skill level 17 so i'm going to finish up with making Silver Ingots and go from there and see how it turns out with the alternate suggestions you guys have made.
                          Craft skills:
                          Leathercraft: 91+1
                          Smithing: 54
                          Weaving: 60
                          Alchemy: 60
                          Bonecraft: 39
                          Woodworking: 47
                          Cooking: 41
                          Goldsmithing: 53
                          Fishing: 55

http://s7.invisionfree.com/TheCraft

Comment

my personal choices and path.

I had a free moment at work, so i thought I might share the paths i took to lvl my goldsmithing skills. Currently i'm lvl 18 in goldsmithing and have yet to take a net loss in gill, with minimal failures. Personally I try not to spend huge ammounts in it and so far i'm doing ok. Hopefully it'll help some of you that are thinking about goldsmithing but are affraid it'll but a huge dent in your wallet. It may not be the absolute fastest, but it certainly is Cost effective.
                            To start, I began stock pileing fire crystals like there's no tomorrow, being that I started in Bastok, alot of juicy targets were, Vultures, Goblins, and some worms for the flint and ores that they drop.

Tips:
                            #1, never buy from ah, for copper, (or at least on the fairy server) as copper ore is like 50+ gill each??
                            #2 When the guilds are closed/sold out, take your lvl 1 job, and go hunting outside, hit up all the worms, vultures, and goblins for the crystals / ores that you need, until you can setup shop in the guild.
                            #3 dont forget that if you're in bastok, there's 2 guilds that sell copper, so check both black and gold smithing guilds. ALSO for those that are rank 5+ the vendor by the airship, sells copper ore for approx 10 gill 24/7
                            #4 if you feel like traveling and dont need the advanced synthisis, there's always alternate guilds in mhura
                            #5 Get advanced synth support As necessary.

---------------------------
                            lvl 0-1
                            Stone ArrowHeads
                            2x Flint + wind crystals
                            loss here, but since i didnt buy the flint, so it wasent that bad
                            should be able to get away witha bout 1 or 2 stacks of flint stones.

lvl 1-4
                            Copper Ingots ~ (approx 180 gill including crystal tops)
                            4 copper ore + Fire crystal
                            sold on fairy for approx 300 Each or 3k+ per stack.

Once you've reached lvl 4, it pretty much tops out there, so sell off your copper ingots for a ncie profit. personally I made about 10-20k from this step, after i realized that i couldnt skill up on copper anymore.

lvl 4-9
                            Brass Ingots ~ cost (including crystal, approx 460 gill tops)
                            3 copper ore + zinc ore + Fire crystal

good money maker here, as zinc runs about 300 gill each, and brass ingots sell for about 600 each or 6k+ per stack.
                            you might want to keep a stack or two to skill up on, or just make some/buy from guild when the time comes, as comming up is the one of the first gill sinks i had...

lvl 9-10
                            Brass sheets ~ Cost (including crystal, approx 560 gill tops)
                            brass ingot + fire crystal

It's only for about a stack or so, so bear with it and Save those sheets! cause you'll need them for.....

lvl 10-11
                            Brass Scales
                            Brass sheet + Wind crystal

I hope you remembered to kill that occasional bee or bat while farming up fire crystals and copper/zinc ores. When you're done with the scales, *try* to sell them in ah, (the dont sell that well, i cant remember how much i sold it for) or you can just sell it back to the guild.

lvl 11-15
                            Brass Hairpins ~ Cost (variable between 400-550 gill or so)
                            Brass Ingot + Wind Crystal

It's not a bad time to make brass hairpins now that the PS2 version out, all the new blm/whms out there will probably want a better hairpin at lvl 10. Sales on this are variable, some times they're up to 1k, some weeks, it's as low as 400 gill. If you happen to have other mules in other cities, spread it around, as not to flood your local AH. Another option if you feel like saving them, is you can de-synth it back to brass for future use.

lvl 15-20
                            Silver Ingots ~ Cost (variable, depending where you get silver)
                            4 silver ore + Fire crystal

This is an excelent money maker especially in bastok, because of the silver ingot quest in the bastok markets, each silver ingot stays at a steady 2k gill, with a stack at 24k. On fairy server, usually the guild will silver for sale at 315 gill at lowest, try not to spend too much on silver, cause with all the miners around, you can usually buy it for 300 a pop, or even ah for 300 a pop. Alternatively if you happen to be a thief, you can steal some silver beast coins and start working on ingots at lvl 14, but I wouldnt go out of your way for them if it's too much trouble.

And there you have it, that's where i'm at currently. Slow, Steady, and most importaintly, not a drain ono your wallet. I was looking around, and I think i'm gonna try using the recipe for Sabaki rig to lvl from lvls 20-22, as there's a chance for Rogue rig as well if you're lucky. I'll try to update with my results and such when they become avail! Good luck to all the newbie goldsmithers!

*****Sticky the thread!*****
                            http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?5200

Comment

lol i noticed on thing constantly......lmao u have gill at least 6 times instead of gil

but all in all great!

'yea here on gilgamesh the stacks of silver ingots is about 25-27k so yea...cha ching......... ANOTHER THING IS ......U CAN JUST MINE MOST UR ORE... and if u get to many tin ore.... synth them for a lil smithing skills

may GS skills is 5 right now and im not leaving bastokian area til i have 80k.....or mainly til i can sell mad silver ingots
                              up and kill.

DaRk CarNiVal!!!!

Bastok Rank 4
                              Others Rank 1

Comment

Working...
                              X