Ugh... Cooking Adventures 61-75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh... Cooking Adventures 61-75

Well now I've decided to start cooking again after the Yag Drink sprint ended with a big 61.

Wow does it suck. I either pay a crapload for a bunch of ingredients, or I try to be cheap and still bust a lotta crystals. AND.. nothing new is profitable. I mean... wtf melon pies are selling for 1.5k a stack! Ugh gotta love that post-bannings economic collapse... but that's a story for a different thread.

Anyways.. I need to get some advice. What's the easiest path to get good skillups, without spending a whole lotta money? I've been trying colored eggs, but they just sit in the AH doing nothing.
    Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
    Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
    Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Re: Ugh... Cooking Adventures 61-75

Melon pie is still very cheap to make if you ask me. There won't be any profit until you can HQ them. But skilling up and making profit at the same time is not really the common case (Except the yag drinks lol.)

I'd say, keep making money with yag drinks if you need gil. And just spend the gil for your skill.

Colored egg/sandorian tea are some other really cheap synths that ingradients can all be bought from NPC. But it won't sell on AH so this is only good if you're willing to NPC your products.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin401 View Post
      ... nothing new is profitable. I mean... wtf melon pies are selling for 1.5k a stack! Ugh gotta love that post-bannings economic collapse... but that's a story for a different thread.
      That doesn't sound like anything new. NQs were almost always lossy. Some recipes are worse than others.

Originally posted by Olorin401 View Post
      Anyways.. I need to get some advice. What's the easiest path to get good skillups, without spending a whole lotta money? I've been trying colored eggs, but they just sit in the AH doing nothing.
      Sounds like the right choice to me. Just don't bother AHing them. NPC them. With skilling up most crafts, you can either choose to sell your wares slowly in an attempt to glean some profit, or just NPC the cheapest recipe to make so you minimize your losses. There are some profitable NQ recipes coming up. But for now, just bite the bullet and pick recipes that are cheap to make.

I think I did Pumpkin Soup > Colored Egg > San d'Orian Tea during that stretch. The next decent profit recipe might be Pear Au Lait.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I did colored eggs (still have them all, suppossedly they come up as a guild item, but Ihaven't seen it) and Sn'd Tea. I actually made good money on the tea, close to Yag Drinks but they sell a little slower.

Comment

I agree that most are at a loss but simple math will tell you that when a single melon pie sells for 1k and a stack for 1.5-2k there is something majorly wrong and its not that the market is flooded either. I can remember buying melon pies when leveling my blm for 10-12k a stack and sometimes more.
          The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Takira View Post
            I agree that most are at a loss but simple math will tell you that when a single melon pie sells for 1k and a stack for 1.5-2k there is something majorly wrong and its not that the market is flooded either.
            What's "wrong" in this situation is not that the price per stack being too low, but that the price per single is too high. If you needed just 1 melon pie, and had the choice between paying 1k and having 11 extra pies, or 1.5k to 2k and having exactly what you need, which would you choose?

The price of single pies won't adjust simply because it makes no sense to sell single pies for 100 gil each at the AH. Especially if it's the Jeuno AH, as the selling fee would be more than what you would get back.

Cost of ingredients for making melon pies:
            Thundermelons: 180 per, 2160 for a stack
            Cinnamon: 234 per, 2808 for a stack
            Bird Egg: 50 per, 600 for a stack
            Pie Dough: approx. 500 for a stack
            Maple Sugar: 36 per, 432 for a stack
            Fire Crystals: approx. 1000 for a stack

Total cost: 7500 gil for 12 attempts. All NQ yields results in 4 stacks.
            Cost per stack: 1,875 gil

High level cooks can HQ this 25% of the time. So they'll do a big run of making pies, sell the HQs for profit, and dump the NQs at whatever price will sell.

1k for a stack of pies might be underpriced (probably due to 93+ cooks making +1s for profit), but 1k for a single pie is highly overpriced.
            Lyonheart
            Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
            Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

True breaking down the cost that way, I hadn't jotted down all the prices to figure it out. I usually either NPC them or send them to my mule for use or to sell.

Is there a better item to skill up on, in that range? I am currently 58 in cooking and tested to the rank that level starts (at work and can't think of the rank it is)
              The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

sigpic

Comment

Pet Food Zeta (59) might sell for profit, even with just NQs. Check your server prices. Yagudo Drinks (60) typically sell for profit. After that, I either suggest Apple au Lait (62, may sell for profit, or may not sell at all) or whatever recipe you can make cheap (Stone Cheese, Pumpkin Soup, etc) and just NPC the results.
                Lyonheart
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,

Comment

I can recommend Stone Cheese if you can't be bothered to use the AH for Yagudo Drink. It's ridiculously cheap to make (rock salt and selbina milk are NPC items, dark crystals are common as dirt on the AH since people are always XPing on imps in Caedarva Mire), and will push you to level 61.

Icemage

Comment

Well for a lot of recipes between 60-80 I just take the loss and just keep yagudo drinks up on ah all the time.
                    On my server they always sell for 2k, and thursday/friday 2.5k and saturday/sunday most of the time 3k.

Yagudo drinks cost 1k to make probly a bit cheaper if you got your fame maxed.
                    I can sell over 50 drinks a day and thursday/sunday often more then 100k if i have to the time to make them.

Often I just use the weekend to make profit since most people are online so you sell your things most of the time quicker.
                    Then just craft monday/wednesday and either sell the results to vendor or keep them till friday and then put them up.

On Fairy the melon pies still sell with little profit atleast they don't cost more then it cost making them.
                    Also have 2 mules in jeuno that helps a lot as I find that the biggest problem to much food to sell and not enough space or time to check mules each hour.

Comment

Just got 72 on pear au laits. I did colored eggs too. The trick is to not ah/npc them now. Wait until the Easter Event.

Comment

I did Pear Au Laits to 72, then some Navarin to 74 and now I'm doing Whitefish Stew and Tuna Sushi (depending on the availability/cost of the ingredients) at 75.

After 77 I'll bridge the cap before Pamama Au Laits with Chocomilk. But that's already beyond the requested level range.

You will lose some money while skilling up, but like others before me have said, use your old profit-recipes to overcome this. Or try out some new chances at HQ:ing lower level stuff ^^
                        The road remains wide open while your dreams are alive. Only fear can block the way.

zitah.nu

Comment

I got stuck on 70 before I had to leave for deployment. lol been cooking for 4yrs taking it slow. I have the hat, and apron though. only 30 lvs to go i will finish it up when I get back Mid July.
                          BLM 75
                          DRK 75
                          WAR 75
                          SCH 75
                          THF 73
                          BST51
                          PLD 46
                          WHM 42
                          RDM 38
                          SAM 37
                          NIN 37
                          MNK 27
                          BLU 7 (who knows)
                          PUP 5 (staying right where it is)
                          DRG 27
                          SMN 12 (SMN75 oneday)
                          BRD 14 (no intrest as of yet)
                          RNG 5 (gil sink no thanks)
                          SAM 37
                          Beating up Gigas one at a time for their lunch money!
                          Retribution: O Spiral Hell: O Ground Strike: O Savage Blade: O Black Halo: O Evisceration: O Decimation: O Steel Cyclone: O

Comment

Heehee, I chained myself to Windy for a week, put all my equipment on storage and mules and started crafting. Took me about 6 days to get from 1-86. It was pretty relaxing and fulfilling doing all that work.

Which FF Character Are You?

Beware the ninja creampuff.... OF DOOM!
                            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62&q=askaninja

Comment

Working...
                            X