Thanks or Likes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks or Likes?

Since the last forum upgrade we've had two redundant systems for up-rating posts. I'd prefer we only had one.

Keep likes, disable thanks
    Pros: Visually cleaner, Sends notifications when your posts are liked
    Cons: "Thank you" counts will be lost, Sends notifications whether you want them or not

Keep thanks, disable likes
    Pros: Thanks history will be kept, Everyone is already used to this system, No extra notifications
    Cons: Takes up more space in threads and on profiles, No notifications for approval whores like myself

Keep both
    Pros: Everyone can continue using whichever one they prefer, No information is lost, Taskmage doesn't get an opportunity to break anything
    Cons: Like/Thank information will be split between two systems, Takes up much more space in threads and profiles, Annoys Taskmage (possible pro)

Disable both
    “Take 'em both out, I don't f***in' need 'em.” — John Wayne
    Keep Likes, Disable Thanks
    16.13%
    Keep Thanks, Disable Likes
    38.71%
    Keep Both
    29.03%
    Disable Both
    16.13%
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Re: Thanks or Likes?

I like being able to easily comb through the archive of thanked posts, it's less cluttered than the Likes. Besides, it goes back farther and more importantly is useful because it's how I find our day long discussion of fashionable hats.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

in theory thanks and likes could be two distinct things and both could be kept; however I bet most people just use whatever is most convenient at the time and thus would make things simpler to just have one or the other.

Comment

Keep the "Likes." I enjoy the notifications.

Comment

*blank expresion*

/shrug

Yggy will probably die if they are removed though.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Might have spoken too soon. Did a little more research and it might be possible for PiNG to do something to import the thanks information into the like system.

Comment

They will be called "Like, Thanks."

And it will be like, you know.
              sigpic
              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                Might have spoken too soon. Did a little more research and it might be possible for PiNG to do something to import the thanks information into the like system.
                But the Like system is awful when trying to go back to find old stuff. It has an entry for each and every like instead of a single entry for the post that received said likes.

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Comment

Hi Dr. Jones.

Comment

How often do you search for a specific post you made that someone else thanked, though? And if you were, couldn't you do a keyword search? If you're reviewing posts that you yourself thanked, the results are pretty much the same in either system.

Comment

I voted for the wrong one. Fuck it all.

IMHO, I agree that while it's possible (in theory) to keep both systems in place, it's highly unlikely that they will be used as intended. My vote goes to ousting the (still fairly new) like system in favor of the tride and true "thanks" of yester-yore.

As Cid said, Thanks are easier to back-trace if you're looking for a specific thread or post. Likes are just cluttered.

The only thing I have left to say on the matter is that I'm not a huge fan of the clunky box that shows up to display all the "thanks". I would like it if it could be smaller... or simply less bulky and painful to the eyes.

Either way THANK>LIKE

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                        99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                        99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

When I get bored, run out of webcomics/other forums and am having a brain dead slow day at work with absolutely nothing else to do. There's a number of interesting discussions to reread in that archive that I'd otherwise be unable to find again.

*shrug*

Comment

Apparently I can't change my vote seeing as this thread was created by TM. Wana throw my vote from LIKE>THANK into the THANK>LIKE choice?

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                            99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                            99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                              When I get bored, run out of webcomics/other forums and am having a brain dead slow day at work with absolutely nothing else to do. There's a number of interesting discussions to reread in that archive that I'd otherwise be unable to find again.

*shrug*
                              Couldn't you find those discussions just as easily by searching for posts that you liked/thanked?
                              Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
                              Apparently I can't change my vote seeing as this thread was created by TM. Wana throw my vote from LIKE>THANK into the THANK>LIKE choice?
                              wth, I can't edit the poll either. It's gained sentience; we must destroy it! Damn my hubris for thinking I could control it D:

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Nevermind, I can. >_>

I moved the vote so it says 2-2-1-0 now, but if you click through it still shows three names under option 1 and one under option 2. So for future reference, tampering with vote tallies on public polls is blatantly obvious.
                              Last edited by Taskmage; 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X