Man of Steel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man of Steel Trailer

Still don't quite know how to feel about a "dark" Superman movie, much less what appears to another origin story. It also bugs me that they're still trying so hard to pick actors that are in the ballpark of Christopher Reeve and Margo Kidder because they feel it won't be good if they don't.

Maybe if it starts dark but ends up a bit more sunny I can be content with that. Zack Snyder is a hit or miss director and to be fair he got The Watchmen and 300 right, just sidestepping a subplot here or there. Christopher Nolan likes to write dark, cerebral and realistic characters but also writes in junk science. That's not to say his Batman movies or Inception didn't have uplifting, heartwarming or happy moments - they were there- but they can't be in as short supply for Superman.

I was content with The Dark Knight Rises, but it was more Inception's level thanBatman Begins, The Dark Knight and Memento were. I think he does better work on a tighter budget. Here he has the Zack Snyder budget.

Re: Man of Steel Trailer

I'm underwhelmed by what looks like "Smallville" the movie. Too much drama in that trailer... too little action. I'm all for story... but that just feels like it's going to be boring. I'm open to having additional trailers change my mind... but for now... meh.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

If they were already on this Smallville path why didn't they just go all the way and got Welling and Schneider instead?

Anyway, I just hope they make a good job with this Superman Begins movie.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

WB has been shitting bricks ever since Avengers
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I love the lead guy, He's from the Tudors and I loved him in that having a lot of sexytime.
          I'm glad the lead guy isn't like the previous where you look at him and are like "........who the F are you?"
          I like the films having a darker edge, I've never really like the batman films when they were catering to the younger audience.
          I mean clooney and kilmer???? B!tch please.
          After keaton took over the role it should of stayed dark.
          I've never like Bale as batman either. I think he's such a bad actor and he is too skinny especially in the face, I know the suit pads them out a little bit but geeez he just looks wrong, I think his popularity as batman is due to the better writing, effects and return to the darker side.

I like superman and smallville both equally I'd have had a stroke if Tom Welling had been given the role. I sat through 10 seasons of smallville only to never see him in the superman suit properly. The best opportunity to perve on him i got was the times he'd been stripped and tied to examination tables.

Anyways I'm glad the new superman film is going the darker route otherwise if it had been successful as cutesy we'd have sheldon from big bang theory playing leadbecause they have geeky hair and other trash actors trying their hands at comic leads. Nobody wants another Mr freeze.

TLDR Version :- New guy from the tudors is hot, Dark = good + keeps the kiddies crap outta my film, blah blah blah stabs at batman series blah blah blah looking forward to this film !

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

I don't like super man and I think the trailer is pretty crap.

Sorry dudes.
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I went to see this on Tuesday and my first impression was that there was a lot of Batman Begins in how the origin of Clark/Kal-El was explored and just like Batman Begins much of this is done via flashbacks as the existing plot progresses. Also, again like Batman Begins, Nolan and the other writers really do flex their knowledge of the characters and draw a lot of interesting characters from the 90s canon of Superman.

You'll meet versions of Pete Ross, Emil Hamilton and Guardian but oddly, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor and an adult version of Lana Lang are just nowhere to be seen. Various props during the movie do hit at Lexcorp's existence, though, so Lex is bound to emerge in the sequel. The folks at the Daily Planet got very little play and some of their scenes felt like they were just there to be placed in danger. I will say, however, I didn't see Laurence Fishburne as Perry White coming, but he made the character his own and there's some good tension between him and Lois. Perry White is definitely still a hardass, though.

Lois Lane was actually the character I was most disappointed with. Part of this is due to the nature of how they told the origin story and I won't spoil that save to say her relationship with Superman is rather different for an origin story. Lois is still a headstrong, prideful woman, but this version of her lacks the audacity and gall, the feminist qualities of prior incarnations. She's not the Lois that will mock you by naming you the small town you're from. The actress that played her was fine, though, I just take issue with how she was written.

And naturally, Superman will save her life on more than one occasion and at the expense of countless other lives to do so.

There are a lot of twists taken with the origin story overall. You'll still see Jor-El pleading with the council that Krypton is doomed, the birth of Kal-El, the search of a planet to send Kal to and you'll still see Zod sentenced to the Phantom Zone - but Jor-El is way more heroic and badass while Zod is much more hateful and clearly repping Zack Snyders 300 mentality pretty hard. Not a bad thing, really, it works for Zod and Jor-El manages to remain a pretty relevant character for a fair bit of the movie as well.

Clark's childhood is Smallville-ish, but its not dwelled on much aside to show him coming to grips with his powers and give Kevin Costner some screen time. Costner makes as fine Johnathan Kent as any and this version of him is a bit more strict, but still a good soul to him. Its great that he's every bit as important as Jor-El, though I think Martha Kent could have used some more work.

Now, all this is just talk about the origin and characters - this movie has action and tons of it. We're talking Thor and Avengers levels of cosmic, but the sheer amount of destruction and carnage that takes place makes both of those movies seem like the Superman movies of the 80s. Snyder really didn't hold back on the kind of destruction Kryptonians could bring to the table and it did leave me a bit worried if there would be anything of Metropolis and Smallville left once the movie was over. We're talking Advent Children Cloud vs. Sephiroth kinds of destruction here.

Aside from weak writing for the most critical female characters and a no Jimmy or Lex, my only other gripe was a huge lack of humor. There is also a controversial choice made in the story I won't discuss, but I actually didn't find it entirely objectionable based on my familiarity with the comics and the context of the choice. Let's just say Lex Luthor will have plenty of plot threads to tug on from this movie.

TL;DR

I'd say if you loved Batman Begins and Iron Man, but liked Thor, then I'd put it just ahead of Thor and slightly behind Iron Man. Speaking strictly as the origin movies go, Superman and Thor are light years away from the horribleness of X-men: First Class and Green Lantern.

If you're looking for the dark psychological undertones Chistopher Nolan loves to hammer on, its not really there at all. You wouldn't have come in expecting Memento or Inception anyway, but its not even a Batman Begins or Dark Knight in that regard. There were opportunities for it to happen to Clark, but I think Zod was the more psychologically dark character.

And I guess I should answer this question: Is Micheal Shannon's Zod on par with Terence Stamp's classic take on the character? Its kind of same situation as Khan from the Star Trek movies - Shannon is just as good a Zod, but for different reasons. Shannon's take on Zod is very passionate and not quite as cold, detached and arrogant as Stamp's Zod. This Zod sincerely believes in what he's doing, even if he's willing to commit treason and atrocities to do it. In fact, if you liked Benedict Cumberbatch's Khan I think you'll like Shannon's Zod almost as much.

Comment

Working...
              X