This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Wow... Hollywood must be hurting if they had to bring Men in Black back.

Don't get me wrong, it was great adaptation of the comic (even if it went its own way), but another movie where they have to bring Agent K back? Of course, time travel plots are some of the best ones in a sci-fi movie, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Wonder if they got Rip Torn to reprise his role, despite his troubles lately.

Comment

Some senseless laughter doesn't hurt from time to time. XD

The main reason why I like MiB movies (well, mainly the first one) can be found at 0:30, 1:02 and 1:44. Though I have no idea what's going to happen to Z and K after this time leap.

By the way, from 1:44 I'd say K comes from "Younger actor replacement syndrome, Kirk style" now. I just hope the new guy does a good job impersonating Tommy Lee Jones.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Ok, so I'm also going to watch this:

I've always been a fan of all-star games.
        sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I never saw the first Expendables, but this one seems to have even more geriatic action heroes in it than the last one. I mean, they got Van Damme and Chuck Norris. All they're really missing is like Clint Eastwood.

Here's a new trailer for The Dark Knight Rises:

Again it communicates a grim sense finality. Alfred feels he's failed to protect Bruce. Selina Kyle delivering grim tidings. A football field is blown up. Bruce does his criminal disguise thing to do some investigation. I don't know if they're chanting "This is Arkham," "This is Gotham" or "This is awesome." At any rate, it looks like Bane took notes from the League of Shadows and busted Arkham open wide. I still can't quite get over the S&M mask Bane has, though.

I'll admit I didn't quite see Anne Hathaway as Selena Kyle/Catwoman, but it seems she works just fine in Christopher Nolan's take on Batman and Gotham City.

I still can't quite get over Bane's get-up, though. I know writing him as from "Santa Prisca" and the prisons of Pena Duro along with him wearing a luchador mask probably wouldn't have fit so well. Even so, they could have just don't Bane without a mask and kept his haircut.

Comment

Is this the part where Superman shows up at the end and tells Bruce they should be Super-BFF? <_<

And for some weird reason I am not even slightly excited about the new Batman movie. Heck even the Expendables trailer had me saying "Van Damme! Chuck-roundhousekick-Norris!, Schwarzenegger in Terminator mode! Yay!" but the Batman trailer was like "Why am I so serious? <_<;"

PS > And I most definitely didn't like Bane. Why not just go with another villain instead?
            sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one excited about Chuck Norris in the Expendables sequel. And Van Damme.

I always felt Bane was a character with unrealized potential. He came on the scene as the only person to send The Batman into a downward spiral, in ways not even The Joker has accomplished. Long story short, I never felt like writers properly utilized him post-Knightfall and am glad to see what seems to be his Knightfall-era terror being the focus of The Dark Knight Rises.

I can get over the removal of the luchador mask (never expected it to make it to film anyway), but I'm not really okay with the omission of his Latin heritage. Don't get me wrong, Tom Hardy is boss, but it just feels like typical needless Hollywood white-washing.

Comment

Well, neither of these movies really stick to villain backgrounds they had in the comics anyway, what's important is they stay true to character at their core. I mean, Ra's doesn't have a Lazerus Pit, so he has decoys (and might still, for all we know). Scarecrow wasn't such a pretty boy. Zsasz has scars all over to keep score, but in the movie he's just a serial killer without a pattern. With Joker they practically played off the idea most of the Joker's origin stories were more or less fiction by him. How many different ways did he get those scars?

Bane can be a similar character without Latin heritage, he just needs that level of cunning and dedication that he had when Gail Simmons was writing his character. He was also a bit of an anti-hero at points, so if this Bane turned and chose to fight along with Batman, I would like seeing that aspect of him come out. The important thing is that they establish Bane, unlike the Joker or Scarecrow, is totally sane and just one cruel bastard at his worst.

Also, to be fair, Bane is set for a reboot in the comics, too. He's not made his '"first" appearance in the new 52. I think they'll keep him close to his original origin, but I don't think he'll come around in the comics til the movie gets closer to release.
                Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 12-19-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Finally...

Looks like I'll get out to the theaters next year, didn't go once this year.

Comment

I thought that this was the movie review thread, not the movie trailer thread?

Anyway, here's a quick review, since I have to be leaving soon:

Sherlock Holmes 2: A-

Easily a more intellectual film than the first one, though it doesn't skimp on the action, either. The writers made use of quite a few witty subversions, to boot. In fact, the only thing that was at all predictable was the ending, but you're still kept guessing how it would be until, well, Watson sees it himself.

Oh, also, expect heaping doses of this all throughout.

ADDENDA: though the movie does have action, it unnecessarily draws it out with special effects like bullet time a la 300. And when I say it was completely unnecessary, I mean it: the movie had plenty of content to keep movie-goers satisfied without at all needing to draw some parts of it out.

If you need just one reason to see this movie though, I'll spell it out right here: Stephen Fry stark naked.
                    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 12-24-2011, 12:21 PM.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                    Matthew 16:15

Comment

• Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

May as well be a trailer thread, too, given this thread sees so little action.

Saw "Star Wars 3D" on my Nintendo Video channel on my 3DS, almost got excited til I saw the prequel Triolgy got priority. I'll see them all except Episode II, but the suspense of "who shoots first this time in Episode IV?" is going to annoy me.

Comment

No... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                        sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Didn't know The Avengers was coming out so soon.

Well, to be fair, i guess you don't want to take your chances releasing near "The Dark Knight Rises" as other movies found out the hard way when previous Bat-flick came out.

Its better this way, too, as it doesn't force me to choose one over the other this summer.

Comment

Avengers looks awesome. And everyone remember to stay through the credits!
                            75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                            RANK 10 Bastok
                            CoP: Done
                            ZM: Done
                            ToA: Done
                            Assault rank: Captain
                            Campaign Medal: Medals
                            Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                            This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

That 2nd movie better not suck. Be glad you didn't see the first Expendibles BBQ, it was utter shit. The first 30 min was kind of cool, and there was some awesome action towards the end but the rest of it was just slow, nonsensical bullshit and some of the worst story writing I've ever seen. That whole scene where Statham went to the basketball court and kicked the shit out of those guys, WTF WAS THE POINT OF THAT!?

And screw Norris, he supported Huckabee. Guy's a douche IRL anyway. Van Dame ftw though, along with Arnold & Bruce. I hated that they only had shitty cameos last time. And fuck Mickey too for that matter, dropping out because he wasn't getting paid enough... dude had maybe 15 minutes of screen time tops last movie. Pretentious asshole.

Avengers is looking like the best super hero movie of all time so far. My only complaint is that UK gets it before NA - wtf is that about?

Anyone seen the Secret of Arrietty yet? I love Hayao Miyazaki's movies so much, the guy has made so many quality films. I still haven't gotten around to watching Howl's Moving Castle or Castle in Sky (come to think of it I've missed quite a few, though I adore the ones I have seen especially Princess Mononoke & My Neighbor Totoro)
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                                Avengers is looking like the best super hero movie of all time so far. My only complaint is that UK gets it before NA - wtf is that about?
                                But time we got something before you yanks

Comment

Working...
                                X