• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: God nonmainstream Anime?

SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE JÄGER

*wall explodes*
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

It's actually shaping up to be a decent popcorn movie show. I gotta give it props for its high production values.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Pretty much. 20 Episodes in and Attack on Titan is like watching a train crash. It's horrible and there's so many things wrong with it, and the writing. Oh god the plot holes, so many plot holes! But...I can't look away from it.

Also apparently it's supposed to be a shounen series so I guess I see why all the kids love it now.
        Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
        Reiko Takahashi
        - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

UTW is my first choice in fan subbing, while Commie gets honorable mention. The rest are ... meh ... because people come and go so often in those teams that the consistency, even while the series is still on-going, is sketchy at best.

Comment

I second UTW, they actually do proper translations. I have noticed that they actually bother to translate according to the context of the source material, and do a good job of finding something that fits to stuff that translates badly.

If they do screw up they also release patches to fix the subtitles or even just release a new video with the fixed subtitles. It's worth checking them out/
            Reiko Takahashi
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I'm torn on the subject of localizing. On the one hand it makes sense when porting the show over for a western audience. On the other hand, if I'm watching the show subbed there's a good chance I won't mind idioms and slightly awkward phrasing so long as there's a footnote with a brief explanation at some point. Also the literal phrasing sometimes offers insights that a localization wouldn't. Not saying one is better than the other, just that they provide different things and I often find it difficult to choose between the two.

The only series where I take the localization wholeheartedly and to the absolute exclusion of literal translation is Digimon, because holy fuck did they have some good writers on staff when they localized that show.

Comment

And honestly Crunchyroll isn't a pile of ass. Thanks to Funimation pretty much having a monopoly on online anime distribution, it is the ONLY option available for people outside of the US that want to watch anime without resorting to piracy.
                Reiko Takahashi
                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

I'm pretty ok with piracy when it comes to anime. 9 times out of 10 it's a better product/service and companies still haven't figured out how to responsibly price their box sets.

Comment

That and if Funimation licenses a show, it will NEVER leave North America. They are that ridiculous with it.

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                    SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE JÄGER

*wall explodes*
                    Actually this line from the opening song of AoT reminded me of why I actually disagree with your posts on literal translations.

Okay the literal translation of that line is "You are the food, and we are the hunters!". It does fit, since one of the major themes oft he show is humanity being turned into a prey item.

However, we need to look at the context of the show to wonder if that line really fits. If you listen to the song, it is actually being told from the point of view of Humanity. Now the literal translation fits perfectly if the song was from the viewpoint of the Titans but if you listen to the lyrics it becomes clear that it is humanity that is supposed to be singing it. Second, one of the big themes of the show is humanity slowly finding ways of striking back against the titans, the Hunters becoming the Hunted, and then turning on the hunters basically.

What I'm trying to say is that if you consider the context of the song and themes of the show, the best translation of that line is: "We are the hunted becoming the hunters!". It does fit the overall context of the show a lot better than the literal translation.
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                      However, we need to look at the context of the show to wonder if that line really fits. If you listen to the song, it is actually being told from the point of view of Humanity. Now the literal translation fits perfectly if the song was from the viewpoint of the Titans but if you listen to the lyrics it becomes clear that it is humanity that is supposed to be singing it. Second, one of the big themes of the show is humanity slowly finding ways of striking back against the titans, the Hunters becoming the Hunted, and then turning on the hunters basically.

What I'm trying to say is that if you consider the context of the song and themes of the show, the best translation of that line is: "We are the hunted becoming the hunters!". It does fit the overall context of the show a lot better than the literal translation.
                      Actually, if you read between the lines, the context fits if you look beyond the literal. Humanity caused themselves to be holed up in a walled city. Remember when Jaegar spoke of how humans were selfish and petty, and that they only looked to serve their immediate interests, rather than take a long view of the world. You see this during Jeagar's mock trial where the military police faction were supported by the merchants and aristocrats looking to preserve their status quo, while the expeditionary faction were clearly in the unenviable position of arguing for resources taken from the defense of the city in order to learn more about the titans and to find ways to combat them.

Fearmongering is a lot easier than trying to understand your enemies. Read about the Bush presidency from 2001 to 2008 for further details on this subject.

Comment

Oh my fucking god this show needs to be less talky. You haven't bothered to make me care about any of the main characters, you're not going to get me to give a flying fuck about the faceless offscreen mooks you just made up a whole bunch of names for who are about to die.
                        Less moping, more action sequences.

I swear to god, it's like they took the DBZ power up shouting and replaced it with angst.

Comment

Told you

Poor pacing and the huge number of plot holes is why I don't personally rate the show very highly. IMO it is average at best. I'm not really a shounen fan too so I can see why teenagers love the show.

That said the music is great. Holy crap the music is awesome. Each piece fits the scene perfectly as well.
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

There's just a metric fuckton of squandered potential on display here and it is unbelievably frustrating.

Comment

It is based off of the light novel, and the light novel reads more of a sermon and less of a story.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty apparent that the author can't write for shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X