This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anime Movie and Series Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Heh, yeah, Black Rock Shooter was pretty ridiculous and substandard as an anime. It's pretty enjoyable if you're not expecting something of quality, though. The scene at the very beginning that doesn't connect to anything later on at all whatsoever is still rather annoying, though.

The entire BRS phenomenon seems like it's made of half-hype, half-fandom. Objectively, what are you going to expect when you try to make a whole anime after a kind of cool song (that you only ever hear a single riff from throughout the entire animation)? Subjectively, it's widespread enough for me to have seen some furry wearing a BRS shirt while I was at the convention in Atlanta this year, and for me to have subsequently recognized it.

The whole thing's kind of weird.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Yeah, the fact that half the movie had no music, and the music they tossed in the second half was like "oh shit, we totally forgot to put background music in the first half. QUICK, SOMEONE GO GET SOME CHEAP GENERIC METAL" was confounding for a movie that came out of music.

Comment

Dear Anime,

What the hell did you do to Persona 4: The Animation? Too much expository padding. You suck.

Sincerely,

Persona fans

Comment

Just watched Fireball. 2 seasons x 13 episodes x 2 minutes each. The whole show is quirky conversations between a bratty princess of an android and her butler-like guardian. The humor and animation are very abrupt and charming.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Ray (and other anime fans) here's a listing of my netflix instant watch queue. Which have you seen and recommend? Which suck? What's one i can add? Netflix has a somewhat limited supply of watch online anime compared to the number the have on dvd, but i just want to stream online. I was using hulu before, but then got extremely pissed when certain episodes were "no longer available." Fuck you hulu.

Noir

Dance in the Vampire Bund

Corpse Princess

Blood+

High School of the Dead

Rosario + Vampire

Trinity Blood

Trigun

Fullmetal Alchemist
            75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
            RANK 10 Bastok
            CoP: Done
            ZM: Done
            ToA: Done
            Assault rank: Captain
            Campaign Medal: Medals
            Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
            This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
              Noir - never heard of it

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Ray would enjoy the copious amounts of loli. Half decent, but nothing special.

Corpse Princess - never seen it

Blood+ - never seen it

High School of the Dead - plenty of ecchi but it's a spectacular show. Definitely recommend it.

Rosario + Vampire - ecchi, ecchi and more ecchi

Trinity Blood - I got 2/3 of the way through in Japanese and that was pretty awesome. English dub fucking ruins the protagonist. Definitely worth a look, but hunt down a fansub.

Trigun - STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND GO WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW

Fullmetal Alchemist - Top shelf material from what I can remember.
              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
              Name: Drjones
              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

We watched the first 3 episodes of HSOTD and we like it so far. There are parts that make us literally LOL with the jiggling boobs that pop on the screen, or the gratuitous panty shots, lol... Is that what ecchi is?

- - - Updated - - -

There was this other anime we streamed on netflix for a couple episodes but we just couldn't get into it. Spice and Wolf. Anyone else watch that? DOes it get any better or does it stay blah?
                RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Spice and Wolf is kind of hit or miss. When I saw it it was refreshing because it was something a little different from the standard formula of what was coming out at the time. Looking back, it wasn't all that great. I didn't stick around for the second season, let's put it that way.
                  Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                  Name: Drjones
                  Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

So I just finished watching "Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers"

Eh, it was OK. It's an alternate take on the series with all the same cast, but different circumstances etc. etc. It's fairly touchy in some parts but overall was written like a melodramatic fanfiction by a highschool girl >_>

I enjoyed it enough, but it's not what I was hoping for at all. After a lot of digging I finally turned up a site that has AO on it as well ( I still f'ing hate Hulu & Funimation though) and I'm up to episode 9 now. There's another E7 OVA movie coming out in Japan in September that's officially the 51st Episode, the day after the events of E7 ended. I'm hoping that either later in AO or in that movie they'll explain just what the hell happened to Renton and why the Americans abducted Eureka from her new home in Okinawa. I just can't see either of them willing separating from each other, so maybe he's dead/missing or something.

Would be nice to see how the Gekko state made out as well. There's other weird things in AO as well, such as Trappar waves which shouldn't even exist anymore after the ending of E7...
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Anyone watch the anime / manga called "X" ? The wifey and I are watching it now and through 3 episodes I've fallen asleep in every one, LOL. But she's liking it so i want to give it a chance. Has anyone seen it and have an reviews about it?
                      Last edited by Mezlo; 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM.
                      RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

I saw bits of it years ago, was weird but cool.
                        sigpic

Comment

We just started on Trinity Blood, and yes! We found a good series it appears! It's dubbed Engrish though... I'm not seeing it offered non dubbed with netflix. I've tried using other websites before, but the lag was so bad, and sometimes the episodes wouldnt even come up. Some of them have annoying as commercials too that get very repetitive, so we were attracted to streaming netflix through the ps3 for those reasons. But the first episode was awesome! I hope it continues!
                          RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Hm, this is probably a one month late reply but if your watching FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) for the first time you might as well just go straight for FMA: Brotherhood as it follows closer to the manga and as a result i felt explain events in the story better

Comment

Both versions were great tbh, I wouldn't watch just 1 over the other.

Yes Brotherhood was truer to the manga, however I liked some of the changes they went with in the 1st series - it was a little easier to follow in some ways as well. Not that I had trouble with Brotherhood, it's just that Brotherhood really took a while before things started making sense in terms of the big picture.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X