This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime Movie and Series Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Just watched the anime short of Blood: The Last Vampire and then the live-action version. Both have their merits and flaws, but the live-action version just went off the rails about halfway through. As lacking as the original short was in character development, I think I preferred Saya being more mysterious.

I have come to like most of what comes out of Production IG's studios, so I'm following up the movies with the Blood+ animes, which I'm enjoying a bit more so far. Maybe its just me but IG seems to acknowledge other cultures a bit better than most anime studios. Apparently America and other countries are places that exist in these shows they do, crazy, I know.

Plus they get good actors to do the English dubs, I haven't found one that's been a real problem yet.

I tried watching Gurren Laagan or whatever its called, but so far it just annoys the shit out of me.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 07-26-2010, 08:31 AM.

Re: New Movie Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Gurren Lagann
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

I tried watching Gurren Laagan or whatever its called
      You'd better watch that spelling since there are a bunch of GL fans on the site including Feba. And btw, for spelling it wrong, you deserve a:
      Originally posted by Kamina
      "Keep Your Hands Off My Beloved Little Brother" PAUNCH!
      Last edited by Durahansolo; 07-26-2010, 07:21 AM.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

I hated Gurren Lagaan or whatever it's called. Worst time spent on Netflix on Demand ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
          Netflix
          The dubbed version!? I noticed one day that they have the dubbed episodes on itunes...Attempted to kill myself after hearing just the episode trailer.

Also...it is Lagann.
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------
          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

I don't care enough to edit it!

Comment

I feel sorry for the anime topic forum, i think Raydeus and I were the only ones using it.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------

Comment

I don't think the English dub was what was getting to me. I think it was getting to me because it was stupid, don't even try to tell me its more raw and emotional in Japanese, no, its going to be more annoying and little else.

I'm told it gets good after about seven episodes or so and I'm not convinced I want to go that far. Gonna stick with Blood+ for now, I've already watched half of the first season in the last day, which suggests I actually like it a good bit. Then I have all nine seasons of the X-files in my queue.

Comment

Eesh. First Aniero and now you (AND Murphie!).

I mean, Aniero's a Dark Knight, so I can totally understand that, but what's your excuse for having no soul?

. . . are the first seven or so episodes really that bad? Because I started the series somewhere in the middle on the Sci-Fi channel's showings about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby yo homes smell ya later! But seriously. I was told I was missing out on a bunch, and yet some people just keep on whining about it. I never got around to looking up the first several episodes to see what I was missing, and heck, it's going to be a non-issue now that I have the first movie, but still . . .
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

Aniero and I are of similar taste in anime, though.

I just dislike the syrupy sweet silliness that most of them have. I'm all for humor, but I hate the "I'm going to go see what's beyond the surface." This is just like me hating Skies of Arcadia and Lunar. Its generic and uninspired. I like a little bit of humanity in the media I watch and read and not just constant parody or cliche.

If I want constant parody, well, Family Guy and 30 Rock are more suited to my tastes, zooming around in a robot head just doesn't do it for me. I mean, I usually like the post-apocalyptic kinda stuff, but its just a little too spunky..

Comment

I'm all for humor, but I hate the "I'm going to go see what's beyond the surface."
                      The beginning of the series is deceptively campy. It fools you into thinking it's all about the lulz and over-the-top parody, but the series changes drastically after episode 7 and much more so at 11 or 14, can't remember which. The beginning IS kind of bleh and predictable.

If you don't think you can endure it there's always the two movies. They condense the plot and make a couple of changes and additions here and there. The ending for the second movie is better than the series' in my opinion, and the series had a pretty fucking epic ending.
                      Last edited by Armando; 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Re: Anime Movie and Series Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

Moved this all to a more appropriate thread. There Durah, the Anime section is in use! lol
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I think it was getting to me because it was stupid, don't even try to tell me its more raw and emotional in Japanese, no, its going to be more annoying and little else.
                          I've only heard snippets of the English dub, but the delivery of Kamina's lines sounds positively wimpy compared to the Japanese version. It's a small part of the show, but that extra energy makes those scenes so much more enjoyable. It's sort of the difference between a kinda angry yet-still-scared guy and a guy who sounds slightly insane. The character lost something in the dub; not because it was English as opposed to Japanese, but just because the Japanese actor did a better job. The other voice acting never struck me as particularly amazing.

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
                          You'd better watch that spelling since there are a bunch of GL fans on the site including Feba.
                          It's a deliberately stupid name. It's a parody of many stupid names before it.

Ultimately, if you don't like the over-the-topness, you probably won't enjoy the show; it's sort of the entire point. It gets better as it goes on, with nearly every episode topping the last one both in over-the-topness and in quality. But if you're not the sort of person who watches things and goes "HELL YEAH, THEY JUST BLEW UP THE MOON!", you're probably not going to find yourself caring. There's a great moral to the story, but if you don't appreciate that, you won't appreciate it much either.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                            The beginning of the series is deceptively campy. It fools you into thinking it's all about the lulz and over-the-top parody, but the series changes drastically after episode 7 and much more so at 11 or 14, can't remember which. The beginning IS kind of bleh and predictable.
                            So true. When I first watched GL, I was just getting into Anime. When I watched the first episode I was like "WTF IS THIS!?" I couldn't understand why everybody was so Gaga over it and decided to stop watching right there. (Mind you I downloaded it like 2-3 years ago.)

Late last year a friend of mine asked me had I ever watched Gurren Lagann. I told him that I had watched the first episode, but I never finished the series. Eventually I said I'd give it another try, and by the time I got around episode 7 I was IMing him saying "DUDE YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS!!! DOWNLOAD NAO!!!111!!" Been a fan ever since lol.

Also, the compilation movie endings were EPIC!

Has anybody been watching the Gurren Lagann Parallel Works videos? They are AMVs of the soundtrack made with new footage from the creators. Most of them should be on youtube by now.

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            Moved this all to a more appropriate thread. There Durah, the Anime section is in use! lol
                            lol thanks TGM.
                            Last edited by Durahansolo; 07-28-2010, 08:10 AM.
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------

Comment

Re: Anime Movie and Series Reviews **NO SPOILERS**

I've seen the animated version of Blood, but not the live action one, regardless the film was easily one of my favorites, simple and straight to the point. Blood+ the series though? I hated that show so much it hurt, they spend a good 90% of it crying about one thing or another, and just when you think the chick will finally go badass stonecold killer she's supposed to be, she gets beaten down without even a fight and just ends up crying some more.

As for Gurren Lagann, I only seen the first few episodes and loved what I saw. Always a fan of the over-the-top kinda crazy stuff. Didn't get to episode 7 though, but I would love to see the whole thing eventually.

Also, just throwin something new into the mix, Berserk was easily one of my favorite Animes ever simply because Guts is one of the most badass anime characters ever. If any show deserved a 200+ endless animated series, it would be Berserk, the 26 episodes we get don't even scratch the surface of the real story.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X