This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything to know about your Wyvern!

Note: This is cross posted on KillingIfrit.com to provide a source of information for anyone with questions about the Wyvern pet. Sources are Somepage and Ffxiclopedia.org.

Dragoon Sub Jobs

Dragoon is 1 unique job in which, it's preformance is predecided on what Sub Job one chooses to use in any given situation. Depending on the sub job, the Dragoon's Wyvern can react in 3 different AI Patterns. Each having a label:

Offensive Wyvern
    The offensive wyvern allows our Flying companion to use an Elemental damaging Breath Attack. This Breath randomly uses an Element of any kind, with 2 exclusions; Ligh and Dark. Those 2 breaths only exist to Monster NPCs.

Howto: Obtain an Offensive Wyvern!

Note: Setting one's sub jobs to specifc jobs, will alter the wyvern. Doing so will reset your pet. So keep in mind your 20:00 timer before changing jobs.
    The following Sub Jobs create an Offensive Type Wyvern:

WAR ~ Warrior
    BST ~ Beastmaster
    MNK ~ Monk
    RNG ~ Ranger
    SAM ~ Samurai
    THF ~ Thief
    PUP ~ Puppetmaster
    COR ~ Corsair
    SMN ~ Summoner (Further testing needed)

Howto: Use a Breath Attack!

Using a Breath Attack is quite simple with this type of wyvern. The wyvern will initiate a Breath Attack after the Dragoon has preformed a Weapon Skill [WS], regardless of weapon type. Once the Dragoon uses his WS, the wyvern will begin 'charging' a Breath Attack. This should roughly last 2-3 seconds before it fires off a random Elemental Breath.

Defensive Wyvern

This Wyvern type is quite popular for Soloing Dragoons. It allows maximum suvivability and great party support. It's the friendliest wyvern around! This one can fire off 2 kinds of Breaths.

Howto: Obtain a Defensive Wyvern!

The following Sub Jobs create the Defensive Wyvern:

BLM ~ Black Mage
    RDM ~ Red Mage
    WHM ~ White Mage
    BLU ~ Blue Mage
    SMN ~ Summoner (Further testing needed)

Howto: Use a Healing Breath!

This will heal a party member, or yourself, a set amount of HP determined by multiple factors. This can only be used when a party member's HP has dropped to 33% of their Maximum HP. Once their HP drops to that mark, the Dragoon must cast any spell of his choice. The spell cast must be completed while the person is still under 33% HP. If the party member is cured above the 33% mark before the Dragoon finishes casting, the Heal Breath will not activate. Once the Dragoon finishes casting, the Wyvern will begin it's 'charging' animation. Once it's 2-3 seconds are up, it will heal a target of your party a considerable amount.

Healing Breath Growth!

Healing Breath has multiple Tiers, unlike the Offensive Breath which only pertains to 1 Tier of Breaths (unfortunately). All of these Breaths are triggered in the exact same fashion. Chart Below displays the Level growths:

Lv 1-19 ~ Healing Breath I
    Lv 20-39 ~ Healing Breath II
    Lv 40-75 ~ Healing Breath III

TP Increases Healing Breath Potential!

A Wyverns TP can alter the potential of a Healing Breath significantly if used correctly. In order to check this, simply input:
    [CODE]/echo <pettp>[/CODE]
    Every 20% Increase in his TP will Increase your Healing Potential. In total his Breaths can have 15 Increments.

Howto: Use a Removal Breath!

This type of breath is quite simple. It is preformed in the same manner as an Elemental Breath Attack. This will follow after the Dragoon has preformed a Weapon Skill. The Removal Breath is used to remove minor status ailments party members may have. This only affects 1 person per weapon skill per ailment. The only status effects that can be removed are; Poison, Paralyze and Blind.
    Multipurpose Wyvern*(1)

This wyvern is unique in which, it uses traits from both the Defensive and the Offensive wyvern. This is possibly the least favored Wyvern type as it does not provide a safe defensive standard, nor does the offensive breath make up for the lack of damage the Dragoon suffers from using one of these sub jobs [One is exempt*(2)]. This one is also capable of launching 2 types of Breaths. An Elemental Breath Attack, and a Healing Breath.
    *(1) ~ Should be noted that the Multipurpose Wyvern is only capable of healing the Dragoon and not the party members.
    *(2) ~ It is argued that a Dark Knight Sub Job offers respectable offensive strengths to the Dragoon. An advantage is having this strength while keeping the Healing Breath.

Howto: Obtain a Multipurpose Wyvern!

The following Sub Jobs creat the Multipurpose Wyvern:

PLD ~ Paladin
    DRK ~ Dark Knight
    NIN ~ Ninja
    BRD ~ Bard

Since both of the Breaths that pertain to this wyvern are described above, I will list some facts that should be noted about these specific Sub Jobs.
    The 2 Jobs that stand out would be the
    Ninja and the Bard. Their spells are unique in the way that they cost no MP to cast. A Ninja Sub Job would require the Dragoon to carry Ninjutsu Tools with him at all times in order to make use of the Ninja's Spell selection. A Bard Sub Job tends to have longer recasts on their spells.
    The Healing Breaths from this Job also have a unique trait which makes it differ from the Defensive Wyvern. The Heal Breaths can only be activated at [Red]25%[/Red] HP. The marker can be raised with the help of equipment swaps to 33%. More on this later.

How can Equipment affect my wyvern?

Wyvern Breath Attacks and Healing Breaths are directly related to its current and Max HP respectively. The wyvern's current HP directly affects its offensive potential. Having Max HP and a dwindling 1% HP will have a very significant effect on the Wyverns Breath Damage. Any equipment that enhances a Wyverns Maximum HP will significantly increase the Wyverns Healing Potential (If someone has the exact Formula, I would love to update it with this).
    The following Equips are worth mentioning that can increase the Wyvern's Maximum HP:

Ostreger Mitts
    Wyvern Mail
    Drachen Brais
    Homam Gambieras
    Wyvern Perch
    Falconer's Hose

There exists 1 more type of Enhancement that can alter a Wyvern's Breaths. These effects only exist on 2 peices of Armor. The Drachen Armet obtained from AF3 and the Wyrm Armet that is dropped from Dynamis - Xarcabard. The Drachen Armet can force the Wyvern to use Offensive Breaths that cooridinate with the target's weakness. This can be easily shown when fighting Elements, Wind > Earth > Thunder > Water > Fire > Ice > Loop.

The Drachen Armet also alters the Healing Breaths from both the Defensive and Multipurpose Wyverns. When using the Drachen Armet in order to activate a Heal Breath, The % of Current HP required to heal someone will be bumped up to 50% HP for the Defensive Wyvern; and 25% to 33% for the Multipurpose.
    The Wyrm Armet has similar effects on both Breath types. For the Offensive wyvern it enhances the potency of its breath attacks regardless of the element (Resistance is calculated). Not only does this boost offensive breaths, but this also makes Healing Breaths even more remarkable. This increases the potency of Heal breaths very significantly. In order for the Wyrm Armet to affect the breath, The Armet must be equiped prior to the Wyvern Launching the Breath. This is a generous amount of time when one considers the Wyvern's charging time for a Breath.

Macro

Below is an example of a Macro you can use for Healing Breaths. This Macro does not pertain to other gears listed above that add Maximum Wyvern HP. In order to do this, make a Seperate Equipment Macro with all those gears:
    [CODE]/equip Body "Wyvern Mail"
    /equip Hands "Ostreger Mitts"
    /equip Legs "Drachen Brais"
    /equip Feet "Homam Gambieras"[/CODE]
    This Macro above would be used Prior to using the Macro Below. After hitting the below macro, you can use a Third macro to switch back to your regular Melee gear. Use the same format as the Macro above for the Third macro. Hopefully this is clear.
    DRG/WHM~RDM Macro:
    Originally posted by GSDragoon
    [Code]/ma "Dia" <t>
    /equip head "Drachen Armet"
    /wait 2
    /equip head "Wyrm Armet"
    /wait 3 ---- Optional
    /equip head "(whatever you want to meele in)" ---- Optional[/code]
    Edit: Added GSDragoon's Macro example.
    Edit2: Added various info from posters.
    Edit3: Rephrased Satus Ailments;Falconer's Hose.
    Balfree Edit: Changed title to be more apropiate. Sticking this aswell.
    Last edited by Slayerxox; 09-28-2006, 04:20 PM. Reason: Updated Info

| Relic 5/5 Complete | Attestation: X |
    | Hecatomb Harness: O | Austeres: O | Elemental Staves: O |
    | Celestial Avatars:O | Fenrir: O | Diabolos: O |

Re: Everything to know about your Wyvern!

A very good and comprehensive guide on the inner workings of the wyvern. There are two corrections I'd like to point out, however.

Summoner belongs under the Offensive Wyvern category, as all pet jobs can only have one pet out at a time, Summoner has no "trigger" spells, and you only get the Elemental Breaths from the wyvern called with /smn.

Secondly, Bard is argued to be a very good solo option for Dragoons post-60 because of the short recasts of the Requiem and Threnody lines of songs coupled with the Drachen Armet, as well as such defensive tools as Paeon and Lullaby. The recast times, along with the short casts and plentiful amount of the Threnody line ensure that the Dragoon can have a Healing Breath in the works constantly, without sacrificing too much on offense. The pasta line of foods increases maximum HP to allow for an even larger pool of HP to work with for this combo.

Other than that, a very good guide for newcomers and veterans alike about one of the most central parts of our job. I recommend Sticky status for this post.
    Last edited by LilithAngel; 09-19-2006, 02:17 AM. Reason: Minor grammatical errors.

Comment

This type of breath is quite simple. It is preformed in the same manner as an Elemental Breath Attack. This will follow after the Dragoon has preformed a Weapon Skill. The Removal Breath is used to remove minor status ailments party members may have. This only affects 1 person per weapon skill per ailment. Some ailments that can be removed include; Poison, Paralyze and Blind.
      The wyvern will ONLY heal Poison, Paralyze and Blind, nothing else. You should change the "some" bit. The wyvern will also remove from its master first. The master takes priority across all members. Only when you're in no need to be healed would the wyvern heal someone else should they be under a certain % of HP. If 2 (one of them being you) party members are blinded and you weaponskill, you'll get the remove blindless breath first.

Take off SMN in that list, it'll render DRG useless anyway, except for healing Poison/Paralyze/Blind.

EDIT: Dam lilith beat me 2 minutes to the reply
      [LadyKiKi]
      Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
      .:|The Prototype BST|:.
      Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Lol!

Also, to add onto LadyKiki's response, the wyvern's priority for Healing/Remove Breath is determined by your current party list. The Dragoon is always on the top of thier list (as are all players when viewing thier own PT list), and therefore the wyvern goes by that list to determine who gets first priority for any beneficial breaths, starting from the top down.

Also, the beneficial breaths effect radius can be exceeded by players being out of range, and the wyvern will *not* move on to the next person in the list, so be very careful about how far hurt people stray from your wyvern. If someone is in deep red and remains outside of range, your wyvern will continue to try to heal that party member, and will continue to fail to do so, ignoring all others below them on the list until they no longer meet the prerequisites for aid.

Comment

Falconer's Hose is another Wyvern HP+ item.

They are level 50 r/e JSE pants that drop off of Aiatar, a pretty nasty wyvern NM in Riverne A01

Def: 27 Wyvern: HP +30

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Thank you guys for the info! I will update it, and as for the SMN subjob. I will try to do further testing as I have heard both sides of this. Thank you for the Falconer's Hose, never knew those existed. I will see where I can fit in the Wyvern Priority breaths.
            Last edited by Slayerxox; 09-28-2006, 04:21 PM.

| Relic 5/5 Complete | Attestation: X |
            | Hecatomb Harness: O | Austeres: O | Elemental Staves: O |
            | Celestial Avatars:O | Fenrir: O | Diabolos: O |

Comment

Quick question about the double armet macro.

How does that even work? I thought the potency of the breath and/or trigger was determined right after you WS? That is, the 50% trigger would require the drachen equipped prior to it? Or am I wrong? Same with the Wyrm... or do you just need to stick on the Wyrm Armet after you WS but before the breath goes off to bump it up?

Finally, I thought the Wyrm also did the 50% mod thing, but it doesn't? I'm confused...
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

would lving WAR to 18,

changing to THF, subbing WAR lvling THF to 30,

making DRG main, sub THF, lvl DRG to 60,

make SAM main with WAR subbed, lvl SAM to 37,

then making DRG main with SAM subbed be a good idea?

Comment

personally I think drg/war is more suitable for daily low level PTing.

I'd go war/mnk until 30,
                  drg/war until 60

After that I'd work on my sub.... war to 37 first, thf to 37 if you want, probably whm to 37 also if you're planning to solo.

After all that's done, I'll play with SAM afterwards.

Just my thought.
                  There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                  but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                  transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

personally, I prefer /rdm for solo but /whm works well too

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Maybe add the items that affect the wyvern and not just healing breath.
                      Drachen Finger Gauntlets
                      Drachen Mail
                      Wyvern Feed
                      Gargoyle Boots
                      Earth Greaves
                      Wyrm mail

I left off a few of the af+1's.
                      Thanks Kazuki.
                      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of /BLU for solo. In addition to very fast and cheap trigger spells (Foot Kick and Power Attack), it also has a nice defense bonus in Cocoon, can get Auto-Regen earlier than WHM can (Healing Breeze + Sheep Song) and some Killer traits too (although unfortunately not Avian Killer as far as I know). MP is a bit lower than the other mage subs but not drastically so.

Also, if I recall correctly, macroing in +wyvern HP gear will not work, because the wyvern's maximum HP will increase but not its current HP. You'll need to spirit link after equipping the +wyvern HP gear in order to get its full potential for breaths.

I really recommend DRG/SAM, but because it's kind of off topic for this thread I won't go into the specifics here. It's better after 50 though, before then you'll probably want /WAR.
                        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                        RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
                          Also, if I recall correctly, macroing in +wyvern HP gear will not work, because the wyvern's maximum HP will increase but not its current HP. You'll need to spirit link after equipping the +wyvern HP gear in order to get its full potential for breaths.
                          This is for elemental breath only. It is stated in the OP.

Originally posted by Slayorxox
                          Wyvern Breath Attacks and Healing Breaths are directly related to its current and Max HP respectively. The wyvern's current HP directly affects its offensive potential. Having Max HP and a dwindling 1% HP will have a very significant effect on the Wyverns Breath Damage. Any equipment that enhances a Wyverns Maximum HP will significantly increase the Wyverns Healing Potential (If someone has the exact Formula, I would love to update it with this).
                          Thanks Kazuki.
                          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Whats the pet food used for wyverns? I remember someone mentioning it here before.

Comment

Wyvern Feed, obtained in the ENM60: Pulling the Strings. No other food is possible. Technically Wyvern Feed isn't a food but an item with 30 uses.
                              [LadyKiKi]
                              Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                              .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                              Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Working...
                              X