X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aetheryte Help Tome

Chapter 1 – Modes

When your weapon is drawn, you are in what is known as Active Mode. Conversely, when it is sheathed, you are in Passive Mode.

Section 1 - Active
    You can only attack a target while in Active Mode. However because attacking involves focusing all of your senses on the singular purpose of battle, movement speed is slightly reduced and the natural healing of wounds slows to a stop.

Section 2 – Passive
    Though you cannot engage a target while in passive mode, this relaxed state of activity allows you to free your mind, accelerating the natural recovery of lost strength.

Chapter 2 – Character Development

Your progress is measured by the number of skill and experience points you have earned over the course of your adventures.

Experience points are earned by defeating targets and completing certain tasks, and when enough are earned your physical level will increase.

Using actions during battle increases your proficiency in the corresonding skills. At the end of each battle this increase in proficiency is converted into skill points. When you have attained a certain number of skill points, your class rank will increase.

Section 1 – Class Ranks
    As you become increasingly proficient in a certain skill, you will learn new actions which can be used while in Active Mode. These actions can be selected and set to our Action Bar via the Action & Traits option located in the Main Menu. Each action requires a pre-determined number of points in order to set, and once those points are used up, you will no longer be able to add any more actions to your Action Bar.

Section 2 – Actions
    Actions include abilities, weaponskills, and magic. Most of these are not class-specific, and once learned, can be executed freely, though they may be less effective when not used in conjunction with their original class.

Section 2a – Abilities
    Abilities can be used at any time, but due to the mental or physical exertion required to carry one out, you may need time to recover, or "cool down", before repeating the feat.

Section 2b - Weaponskills
    During the course of a battle, you will earn tactical points (TP) for each hit landed, as well as each hit taken. When enough TP has been stored, special techniques known as weaponskills can be exectued. These potentially battle-turning techniques require no casting or recovery time and can be unleashed repeatedly so long as you have sufficient TP.

Section 2c - Magic
    Casting spells draws on your spiritual reserves, also known as magic points (MP). In addition to MP cost, spells all have casting times (the amount of time required to cast a spell) and recast times (the amount of time one must wait before casting the spell again, regardless of remaining MP).

Section 3 – Physical Level
    When you have earned enough experience points, your physical level will increase. At this time, you may choose to meditate, and thereby focus the fruits of your past training on improving selected physical, mental, and elemental attributes.

Section 3a – Attributes
    Your physical and mental attributes fall into six different catagories:

STRength determines physical attack power.
    VITality determines your physical defense.
    DEXterity determines attack accuracy.
    INTelligence determines magical attack power.
    MiND determines magical defense.
    PIEty determines magical accuracy.

Section 3b – Elements
    Aether manifests itself as the six elements which make up all matter on Hydaelyn - fire, ice, wind, earth, lightning, and water - with each element possessing its own strengths and weaknesses.

Fire melts ice, but is extinguished by wind.
    Ice obstructs wind, but is melted by fire.
    Wind extinguishes fire, but is obstructed by ice.
    Earth grounds lightning, but is eroded by water.
    Lightning boils water, but is grounded by earth.
    Water erodes earth, but is boiled by lightning.

Attuning yourself to a certain element increases both your attack power with, and defense against, spells of the same aspect.

Chapter 3 – The Art of Battle

To begin a battle, you must first enter Active Mode, then target an enemy. The direction you are facing and the distance from the enemy combine to determine whether or not your attack will be successful.

Section 1 – Locking On
    While "locked on" to a target, you will continue to face it, regardless of your direction of movement. Locking on to a target can make it easier to find the optimal position from which to launch your assault.

Section 2 – The Stamina Gauge
    Each action performed in battle requires a certain amount of stamina, displayed in the Stamina Gauge. While stamina is depleted, certain actions will be impossible to execute.

Section 3 – Target Strength
    A target's relative difficulty can be discerned from the color of its aura (displayed next to its name). The color will change depending on whether you are fighting alone or as a member of a large party.

Blue: Easy Prey
    Green: Decent Challenge
    Yellow: Even Match
    Orange: Tough
    Red: Very Tough

Section 4 – Engaging a Target
    Once a target has been engaged, its display name will turn red. While red, only the person who originally engaged the target, or her party, will be able to attack it.

Section 5 - Defeat
    In the event your health points (HP) fall to 0, you will lose consciousness and be unable to act. At this time, you have one of two options - either wait for a passerby to resurrect you with magic, or return to the last aetheryte (or aetherial gate) with which you attuned. To return, select the Home Point option from the Main Menu.

For a period after revival, your body will remain in a weakened state. It is recommended that you refrain from any dangerous activities while in this vunerable condition.

Chapter 4 - Guildleves

Guildleves are special passes issued by Adventurer's Guilds across Eorzea. Aetheryte can be used to activate guildleves, initiating the corresponding levequests.

Section 1 – Levequest Basics
    Guildleves can be divided into three different types - battlecraft leves aimed at those trained in the martial disciplines of War and Magic, fieldcraft leves aimed at the Disciples of the Land, and tradecraft leves aimed at Disciples of the Hand. Battlecraft and fieldcraft levequests often require trips into the wild, and are therefore called "regional levequests". Tradecraft leves can usually be completed within the confines of a city-state or hamlet, and are therefore called "local levequests".

A regional guildleve can only be activated once. If you wish to challenge the same levequest again, regardless of whether you completed or failed the task the first time, you must return to the Adventurer's Guild and have the leve reissued.

Section 2 – Guardian Aspects
    The Twelve smile upon those who concentrate their energies on helping others in need. By making the most of your Guardian deity's boon, you can accelerate the rate at which your various skills develop.

With each day, you will earn favor with your Guardian (up to a maximum of 200). When you have reached a certain amount, you can petition the god or goddess to bless you with what is called the Guardian's aspect - a celestial "boost" which will last the duration of a levequest.

Section 3 – Regional Levequets
    Regional levequests can be initiated by traveling to the aetheryte camp or aetherial gate indicated on the leve.

Section 3a – Levequest Difficulty
    The difficulty for some levequests can be adjusted when activating the guildleve. For battlecraft leves, difficulty most often refers to the strength of the targets indicated in the quest objectives.

The class rank listed on a guildleve is a recommendation for adventurers planning on undertaking the levequest alone. Those wishing to complete the quest as a party should adjust their party makeup accordingly.

Section 3b – Participants
    Any party members present at the time of initiation are allowed to participate in the levequest. If another party member has the same leve in their possession, that leve will be activated as well. This is known as leve-linking.

If a party member is too far from the levequest location, or is already participating in another quest, that character will not automatically join.

However, if the total amount of current leve participants does not exceed 15, the party member in question meets the conditions for participation, and arrives at the activation aetheryte in time, that character may still join the levequest, even if it has already begun.

Section 3c – Levequest Objectives
    From mineral veins to monsters, levequest targets are not visible until the corresponding guildleve has been activated, and even then can only be engaged by those participating in the quest.

Hints on the location of levequest targets vary with guildleve type. Battlecraft leve targets can often be found on maps, while fieldcraft leve points can be located using class-specific scan abilities such as Prospect and Dowse.

Section 3d – Success
    When a levequest is successfully completed, a temporal rift known as an aetherial node will appear. The aetherial node can be used to return to the aetheryte or aetherial gate where the quest was initiated, but it will not last long, so be sure to enter it quickly.

Your reward for completing the levequest will be presented to you the moment you access the node. Of course, if you have no wish to make use of this temporary temporal displacement phenomenon, you may alternatively take receipt of your reward by visiting any other aetheryte camp or aetherial gate in the realm.

Section 3e – Failure
    There are many factors that can lead to the failing of a levequest, the most obvious being the inability to complete the quest objectives within the alloted amount of time.

Other factors include abandoning the quest via aetheryte or aetherial gate, wandering too far from the area indicated in the quest objectives, and logging out.

Section 4 - Factions
    Various factions in Eorzea work in conjunction with the Adventurer's Guilds, sponsoring certain levequests. By completing these sponsored levequests, you will receive credits, wihile the faction will gain standing in the area the quest was conducted.

Faction credits can then be used in exchange for special leves which offer new challenges and the opportunity to receive fame, gil, and possibly even rare items.

Chapter 5 - Parties

Parties are recommended when taking on a particularly challenging levequest or going head-to-head with formidable creatures.
    Use the Party option located within the Main Menu to search the World for adventurers with similar ambitions and invite them to join you.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: Aetheryte Help Tome

Great info! LMAO @ "PIE" omg... nice to see they are keeping the stats very simplistic for once. No more "evasion, evasion skill, AGI" crap, just one evasion stat in your menu... and VIT & MND are back to working how they originally did, as is DEX.

This is so much better than XI, as going for a "PLD" build (Gladiator + Conjurer skills with a focus on VIT & MND) will be way easier, since you don't have to worry about your INT stat like in XI...

Interesting that they switched some of the elements around though... WTF @ Fire being weak to wind now? That makes no fucking sense. Yes, a strong gust can put out a fire, but wind can also spread fire. Whatever. At least the explanation for Water > Earth makes sense.

They've also removed TW and IT... interesting. I really like how you can just see the color now, without having to /check every time

Not a MAJOR change, but it saves a bit of time and minimizes chat log clutter. So, 15 players is the new cap instead of 18, but you can all be joined into one massive PT? That's going to make classes like BRD very, very powerful (and we'll need less of them! At the very least no more retarded party rotations like in XI)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      WTF @ Fire being weak to wind now? That makes no fucking sense.
      You object to this, but please explain to me how "ice obstructs wind" is supposed to work.

Yes, it was in XI. Yes, it may have been just to complete XI's bigger elemental wheel. No, it didn't make any more sense there, either.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

These guys say wood beats water, where's the love for the elemental wheel of the Battle Beasts?

Also, I can raise by PIE stat simply by buying more pies, right?

Comment

Not a MAJOR change, but it saves a bit of time and minimizes chat log clutter.
          There is no check option for the strength of a mob so nothing appears in the chat log. You just target it and there is a colored circle next to its name. Its up to you to remember what the color means. Its still the same as XI though where a EP can still kick your ass at times. lol
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well damn... I figured with the PT vs PT theme in XIV, mobs in general would be weaker than in XI (let's not kid ourselves, mobs in XI are way too strong)

And as for Ice > Wind... I guess because it's a physical object typically much more dense than soil? Though in other SE games, most notably the Mana Series, Earth encompases basic elements too such as Carbon (hi2u Diamond Missile) so... meh whatever. Ice has to beat something (though again, like Fire, it should naturally combine with Wind to make a much more potent compound effect...)

To be perfectly frank I don't even get why Ice is an element; it's just another state of Water.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              Also, I can raise by PIE stat simply by buying more pies, right?
              Only if they're bought from the Friar Tuck.
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                There is no check option for the strength of a mob so nothing appears in the chat log. You just target it and there is a colored circle next to its name.
                Its the same scheme as most other MMOs, so it actually not that hard to remember. Even FFXII used it. That's why I always knew that first T-Rex you see in Dalmasca Estersands was friendly or at least wouldn't attack me. He conned green.

When it was released in Japan, a lot of people went right after that T-Rex thinking it was something they could and should attack, then ran to the internet to cry about how hard the T-Rex "boss" was.

Comment

Well damn... I figured with the PT vs PT theme in XIV, mobs in general would be weaker than in XI (let's not kid ourselves, mobs in XI are way too strong)
                  It's hard to draw conclusions considering pretty much everyone is a lowbie, but XIV mobs are weaker than XI ones. I can solo even match mobs with relative ease on conjurer.

Something interesting to note is that mobs will con easier with more people in your party and also con harder if they are in a group, but that information need to be taken with a small block of salt. Crabs con red to me for example, but they dropped down to green when a couple friends joined party so we decided to give them a try. I died in one shot, the pugilist took two, archer got the heck out of dodge. Likewise I ran into a group of mobs in a leve that contained half a dozen little bugs that would link with each other. They all conned red because they were grouped but their damage was really cheesy and it only took two AoEs to clear them all.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Interesting read.
                    though again, like Fire, it should naturally combine with Wind to make a much more potent compound effect...)
                    Winds strong enough to hurt large living beings aren't going to nurture fire, they'll put it out like a match. You could argue that a big enough fire will be boosted, but if you go to extremes then everything falls apart (a small flame won't melt a glacier, an ice cube doesn't impede wind, etc.)

Comment

movement speed is slightly reduced
                      I see a kiting exploit in here somewhere.

you will learn new actions which can be used while in Active Mode.
                      Interesting. So no more ability usage outside battle? Wonder how that'll impact things like Flee, spell casting (especially warps and cures). If you have to be in active mode, can you not use them in cities?

As someone who spent most of his time in FFXI playing BLM, what the fuck is up with the Wind/Water swap? Wind puts out fire? Tell that to California, dipshits.

Interesting that they switched some of the elements around though... WTF @ Fire being weak to wind now? That makes no fucking sense. Yes, a strong gust can put out a fire, but wind can also spread fire.
                      Yeah see I'm reading this thread at 4AM in Febatime, and I'm fucking agreeing and nearly writing the exact same thing as Malacite, only sounding slightly less stupid. SE, what the fuck.

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                      You object to this, but please explain to me how "ice obstructs wind" is supposed to work.
                      Yes, Ice > Wind seemed odd to me at first too, but two things:

One, it was a necessary evil to complete the scheme. Not so in FFXIV, where water erodes earth. Yes, it sort of makes sense (See: Grand Canyon), but then that's more "Rock". Most earth-type thingies are plants and the like, which are very much not going to suffer from having some water sprayed at them.

Two, any solid object can obstruct wind. Of all the elements, Ice is probably the best one for standing up against it.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      He conned green.
                      To be fair, my mother, whose video game experience otherwise sums up as some Phoenix Wright, Brain Age, and some godforsaken Grey's Anatomy title, figured this out.

I don't even get why Ice is an element
                      Because Ice = Shiva.

And Shiva = Blue Tits.

Blue Tits = Still Tits.

QED, Ice Element = Tits.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                      Winds strong enough to hurt large living beings aren't going to nurture fire,
                      Based on the "eroding Earth" description, I always assumed wind spells weren't themselves harmful, it was more the shit that you got blown at you.

Tiny floating specks of diamonds.

Comment

Wind erodes Earth
                        Earth smothers Fire
                        Fire consumes Wind

Lightning boils Water
                        Water splits Ice
                        Ice insulates Lightning

Reasoning for the latter triangle being that pure water is a much better insulator than conductor, and it's rather difficult to freeze water with impurities.

Yes no maybe?
                        Last edited by Yellow Mage; 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM. Reason: Also, the former triangle sounds like it would make a great name for a band.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                          Interesting. So no more ability usage outside battle? Wonder how that'll impact things like Flee, spell casting (especially warps and cures). If you have to be in active mode, can you not use them in cities?
                          You can be in active mode outside of battle, including in cities, and you can be in passive mode while something is still engaged to you. Incidentally, many things that are not normally aggressive will deaggro you after you've been in passive mode for enough time. Warps and teles can only be used in passive mode, same with certain actions such as harvesting and synthesis (these commands go on your hotbar just like combat commands) and of course /logoff. Most things are active mode only though. If I'm running by and see someone in need of a cure, I do need to stop and take a second to draw my weapon before I can cast it on them.
                          Originally posted by Feba View Post
                          Wind puts out fire? Tell that to California, dipshits.
                          Thumbs up for this.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Not sure why games repeatedly throw the element wheel at us...

Multiple elements are weak or strong to more than one element.

Ice is melted by Fire, also crushed by Earth.
                            Earth erodes with Water and absorbs Lightning.
                            Wind extinguishes Fire and disperses Water, has no dense body isn't too affected by Lightning.
                            Water boils with Fire and is shocked by Lightning.

Etc..?
                            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                              Not sure why games repeatedly throw the element wheel at us...

Multiple elements are weak or strong to more than one element.

Ice is melted by Fire, also crushed by Earth.
                              Earth erodes with Water and absorbs Lightning.
                              Wind extinguishes Fire and disperses Water, has no dense body isn't too affected by Lightning.
                              Water boils with Fire and is shocked by Lightning.

Etc..?
                              guess they do the wheel because its easier? *shrugs* Its all I could think of ;p
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X