Logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging

Basic strategy to logging and most players probably figured it out already but I'll lay out the basic points.

You are presented with an interface very similar to fishing and mining. There is a small dialog box which contains a small number of options and then you have an interactive sequence where you are in control over the success of your attempts.

The first dialog is what I'll call as the default options. They are the commands "Begin" and "Cancel". You are also presented with a slider bar in which you must first adjust the slider before being able to make a choice in the commands. If you are at this juncture and simply want to stop logging, accept the slider at where it is and then click on "Cancel".

I usually start a notch below the top of the slider bar. After clicking on Begin, you will be asked to input another command in the next dialog box. The options here are "Chop" and "Cancel".

When selecting "Chop", the slider bar gives way to another interface, shaped like "<", in which a marker moves up and down by itself along the outside of a curve. The object here is to "stop" the marker at a desired position along the curved path. There's an additional bar just below this interface that resembles a mana bar and this I can describe as a kind of stamina meter. You are unable to continue with an attempt when you deplete this bar.

I stop the marker at around 1/3 from the top of the curve. You are usually then responded to by the following message:

You feel nothing promising.
    You feel something promising.
    You are close to something but cannot yet make the final cut.
    You bring down an *item name*.

If it's "nothing promising", I then choose "Chop" again and stop the market 2/3 of the way down the curved path. I'm almost always going to be responded to by the following:

You feel something promising.
    You are close to something but cannot yet make the final cut.
    You bring down an *item name*.
    You are getting farther from the mark.
    You are getting closer to the mark.
    Your chop damaged what felt like a *item name*.

By this time, your stamina meter should not be completely depleted and you'll have another one or two swings. If the second swing gives you a you feel something promising, note that the next chop should be further down from the marker unless you stopped the marker a lot further from the first chop then you would've want to. If that appears to be a case, it's a 50/50 at this point. This is why it's important to make sure your chops are precisely at 1/3 and 2/3 to give you a better indication on where your subsequent chops should be.

You feel something promising usually indicates that the next chop should be within range of your current chop by around 1/6 lengths of the curve in either direction (again, knowing how you chopped previously will make all the difference in your future chops for the current "attempt" ... you anywhere from 4-7 attempts per tree, possibly more with higher skill gains and special abilities)

You are close to something but can't make the final cut means try to land the chop exactly over the chop you just made.

You are getting further from the mark means that you should go the other direction than the one you just went in. Getting closer to the mark means continue in the direction you are going and the item is somewhere in the range of 1/4-1/3 the length of the curve.

I can explain this further if anyone needs clarification.

Re: Logging

It's usually just a little from the top or bottom, and the odd time it isn't it's near the middle. Honestly it's not terribly hard to figure out.

The only annoying thing is when it constantly switches/reverses where the mark is.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Re: Logging

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      It's usually just a little from the top or bottom, and the odd time it isn't it's near the middle. Honestly it's not terribly hard to figure out.
      It changes depending on the region. So it's better to start with 1/3 from top (at least in Ul'dah and Gridania regions) although 1/3 from bottom is what I've seen to work better in Limsa region.

Comment

Working...
      X