I miss Summoner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss Summoner...

Is it just me, or when you first heard the title Conjurer, did you think of SUMMONS?

Before the spell list for this class was released, I was totally jacked about Summoner making a debut with the initial release. I suppose I deserved my disapointment for thinking SE gave 2 craps about Summoners.

How long will you make me wait this time you *as*ar*ds!!!!!!!!??????

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Re: I miss Summoner...

I haven’t played FFxiv yet nor have I read much on it so I don’t know what a conjurer in that game is…

But when I hear conjurer I think more BLM like.
    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
    -Verth (90) Completed!!
    -Guttler (95) Completed!
    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Originally posted by Romyro View Post
      I haven’t played FFxiv yet nor have I read much on it so I don’t know what a conjurer in that game is…

But when I hear conjurer I think more BLM like.
      It's like a WHM/RDM mix... kinda. They m ade the game so that if you mix and match abilities from a few classes, you can essentially customize any job you want. I took a little from Thaumaturge and a little from Conjurer and made myself a fairly decent (and self sufficient) caster class. I can drop SS and Shock Spikes on and just AOE nuke the most mob clusters. If I get in a pinch, I also have Cure on my list to keep myself alive while I wait for SS's recast.

It's neat. Definately has potential.

Comment

SE said the summons will be a lot harder to obtain in 14, and that they'd also be critical elements to the overall story. They still won't comment on Summoner as a class yet though.

LOL they're having a hard enough time just salvaging the game as it is, they don't want the headache that balancing pet jobs brings which is why we haven't seen any yet.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          SE said the summons will be a lot harder to obtain in 14, and that they'd also be critical elements to the overall story. They still won't comment on Summoner as a class yet though.

LOL they're having a hard enough time just salvaging the game as it is, they don't want the headache that balancing pet jobs brings which is why we haven't seen any yet.
          EXCUSES!!!! I WANT MY GARUDA BACK GDI!!!! DO IT NAO!!!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity. How is the game? When you say ‘salvaging the game’, it sounds like not a very big hit.
            The only reason I haven’t picked it up yet is because I’m not sure if my computer could handle it…and I’m still enjoying FFXI.

I WANT MY GARUDA BACK GDI!!!!
            I think I’m the only smn that is sick of Garuda. I think I’ve grown more attached to Leviathan.
            99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
            -Farsha (90) Completed!!
            -Verth (90) Completed!!
            -Guttler (95) Completed!
            -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
            -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
            -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Originally posted by Romyro View Post
              Just out of curiosity. How is the game? When you say ‘salvaging the game’, it sounds like not a very big hit.
              The only reason I haven’t picked it up yet is because I’m not sure if my computer could handle it…and I’m still enjoying FFXI.

I think I’m the only smn that is sick of Garuda. I think I’ve grown more attached to Leviathan.
              While I am currently not playing the game for my own reasons, never take Malacite's opinion into consideration for anything.

If you're enjoying XI, wait for the PS3 release and play it then (even if you're going for the PC version.) Game will be much more stable then.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't see why people automatically assume that summoning in FFXIV will automatically be a pet-oriented function, especially considering that wasn't the case for any FF game except for X and XI.

Just saying.
                Originally posted by Armando
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Originally posted by Armando
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

I don't see FFXIV doing summons as a pet thing. In fact, I'd appreciate it if they avoided pet jobs this time out period, as it seems no one can ever get a pet job right in a MMORPG.

Aside from EQ's Necromancer and Enchanter, anyway. Even WoW screws the pooch on pet jobs, everyone that's played Hunter will let you know just how much the fucked that job up.

The best way to do a pet job is to make the job a crowd controller and to give the pet job full control over pet actions. SE seems to think full control over any pet is bad and takes away from the "character" of the pet. WoW seems to have a similar philosophy.

Enchanter in EQ could summon pets, charm mobs, they had the most powerful binding magic and they could refresh MP. The trade-off was no offensive magic, no offensive capability and shit defense. But you had total control over what you summoned or charmed and that made Enchanter and asset in crowd control even aside from binding, you could just charm one mob to deal with another if the bind spell wore off, then you could bind another mob while the two duked it out.

But no one wants to copy that or learn from that job, no, that would make sense.

Comment

If they added VIII's GF Junction and Summoning for a class in XIV I'd consider playing the game.

But since it wont happen I'll go back to waiting for other games.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
                      While I am currently not playing the game for my own reasons, never take Malacite's opinion into consideration for anything.
                      1) Screw you

2) "Salvaging" is quite appropriate, given that the game's not a total write off (at least not yet) but the slew of horrendously bad reviews have pretty well buried this game for the time being, as far as the potential for new subscribers goes anyway.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                      I don't see FFXIV doing summons as a pet thing. In fact, I'd appreciate it if they avoided pet jobs this time out period, as it seems no one can ever get a pet job right in a MMORPG.
                      I agree with you with regards to SMN, but I'd still like to see pet jobs in play. It never seemed right to me in any real form to be quite honest, for a mere mortal to actually control a God (well, an ethereal manifestation of said God but still).

Unfortunately I doubt we'll see a return of DRG, at least with the Wyvern since they are likely to keep that unique to XI, but there's no reason we can't have something like BST 2.0

Now that I think about it, it might be kind of cool to have Summons back to the way they were in the offline games, perhaps with some kind of Anima cost attached to them to limit abuse.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        I don't see why people automatically assume that summoning in FFXIV will automatically be a pet-oriented function, especially considering that wasn't the case for any FF game except for X and XI.

Just saying.
                        And XII.

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        1) Screw you.
                        Alright, but you bring the condoms. I already have the lube.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
                          Alright, but you bring the condoms. I already have the lube.
                          But who's bringing the video camera?

Comment

Now that I think about it, it might be kind of cool to have Summons back to the way they were in the offline games, perhaps with some kind of Anima cost attached to them to limit abuse.
                            I'm still of the opinion that a junction-like system would work best for FFXIV, but something more akin just gaining certain boosts to stats and abilities rather than straight-up summoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              I'm still of the opinion that a junction-like system would work best for FFXIV, but something more akin just gaining certain boosts to stats and abilities rather than straight-up summoning.
                              I'm all for this option. Junctioning was one of my personal favorite systems and implimentations of Summons that the series has come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X