Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any options besides Teletaxi? :/

Hey guys,

I apologize if this was addressed in another thread but I'd really like some clarification / advice. I'm not looking for a get rich quick scheme, but the amount of gil I'm looking at for my WHM gear is astounding. I understand that it's possible to play WHM without the best gear, but I'm hoping that if I really pimp my whm I'll be able to use it every once in a while. Seems like brd4life is what I've gotten myself into. I don't mind playing bard at all, but a break every once in a while from ANY job is helpful in keeping one's sanity

Is there any option that will generate gil at a steady and consistent rate? I'm not looking to be drowning in gil, and understand that to raise millions will take a good amount of time, however, I'm unimpressed with the erratic amounts earned from sitting in WG all day trying to pick up teles before the bots.

I currently have Alchemy 60, and will take this higher if crafting seems to be the best option. I'm also currently making a little bit by selling Imperial Gold pieces after meriting on a bard for the entire day. Any tips you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

my 75s are BRD and WHM if that helps any~

Are there options to make gil from event linkshells? I make a decent amount from payday in Dynamis and the odd 100 piece currency I win a roll on and am wondering if that's something to think about.

Thanks,

Maeru

Re: Any options besides Teletaxi? :/

You're never going to make money if you're betting only on random things like Dynamis currency. Dynamis currency has gone downhill and in the months to come, it will dwindle. There's a new tier of artifacts coming, so I have little doubt about a new tier of relic weapons as well. Unless SE imposes a 75 cap on Dynamis, I see that becoming a more private affair.

The key is to find the markets that are most practical on your server and find out how to benefit from within that server. There is no big secret to success.

Its not the answer people want to hear, but look into your server trends. That's why we have FFXIAH.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      You're never going to make money if you're betting only on random things like Dynamis currency.
      It's not that random if averaged over time; looks like the OP may have a "split the profit" kind of LS.
      Originally posted by Maeru View Post
      I make a decent amount from payday in Dynamis and the odd 100 piece currency I win a roll on and am wondering if that's something to think about.

Dynamis currency has gone downhill and in the months to come, it will dwindle. There's a new tier of artifacts coming, so I have little doubt about a new tier of relic weapons as well. Unless SE imposes a 75 cap on Dynamis, I see that becoming a more private affair.
      People made the same prediction when the Hourglass cost was halved--with lower entry cost, the currency prices will drop since it would cost less to "make" them.

Instead, the currency price increased because a lot more people all of sudden believed that the relic weapons became more affordable.

Originally posted by Maeru View Post
      Are there options to make gil from event linkshells?
      That, depends on which LS you join. For me:

Dynamis LS: split profit; so far, it beats 500k a month on average for one day a week attendance--over 1 mil averaged if attend twice a week.
      Sky LS: split profit; it's nice, but nothing impressive.
      ZNM group: splits gil, but except for Sarameya, it's not really all that much money. (But since I run that event and I like sharing, we split and share!)
      Limbus: Split Ancient Beastcoins. Nice little side reward which sells relatively fast in Bazaar--pays for meds and food, more or less. Except I don't sell those.
      Salvage: Alexandrites are either feast or famine. Over time, though, it's another nice little side income.
      Einherjar: Money sink--but not a huge one.

Gardening and KS30 are the most consistent money maker for me, but most of my regular events do toss gil at me or at least something easy to convert into gil.

But, this isn't a bad advice at all:
      The key is to find the markets that are most practical on your server and find out how to benefit from within that server. There is no big secret to success.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        It's not that random if averaged over time; looks like the OP may have a "split the profit" kind of LS.
        100 pieces aren't common and splitting between 32 people is a pittance, not a profit. You'd see more consistent returns on ABCs from Limbus, really.

People made the same prediction when the Hourglass cost was halved--with lower entry cost, the currency prices will drop since it would cost less to "make" them.

Instead, the currency price increased because a lot more people all of sudden believed that the relic weapons became more affordable.
        Perhaps that was the case on your server, but not the case on all. The result of the change was many new LSes were formed to get in on the action and - dumb people being dumb people - tried to sell something more common for the same going price.

Same thing happened with the Limbus coins, but guess what eventually happened?

Got cheaper. Some people will hold out as long as they can. Others will not. If/When these runs can be low-manned, entry fees will still be split, but at a higher rate. Its actually questionable if selling currency would be worth it at all at that point, much less obtaining relic weapons, which could be considered old hat.

I certainly wouldn't be investing in relic until the effect of the changes are known. We said they'd never have a higher cap than 75 and some people might insist that nothing would ever1 top relic and mythic, but I wouldn't hold out hopes about that.

Comment

100 pieces aren't common and splitting between 32 people is a pittance, not a profit. You'd see more consistent returns on ABCs from Limbus, really.
          If you spam the same ABC-rich Limbus zone over and over with the small number of people each run, I'd agree. Then again, can do the same for Dynamis--until other LS leaders protest your zone hogging.

Anyway, all currency are lotted by LS leader in my Dynamis LS and then are sold, including the 100's. Each eligible person for each month received/will be receiving:

Sunday Payout:
          Feb: 569,706
          Mar: 289,241
          Apr: 823,173

Wednesday Payout:
          Feb: 535,357
          Mar: 975,395
          Apr: (not done, yet--the last Wednesday run is tonight)

The LS was created in February, so no payouts before that. It's currently not exactly stable, yet, and is still very far away from a lean, mean, zone-clearing machine. (Managed to win every city zones a few times, but haven't yet reached ice lands. lol.) i.e. We will do better in the future.

For a lot of people, 280k~970k a month for attendance rates a bit higher than 'pittance'. At the lowest end, it works out to be ~70k gil/wk; at the high end, ~242k gil/wk

That's just one day a week, mind you; you'd get both payouts if you attend both Sundays and Wednesdays.

Perhaps that was the case on your server, but not the case on all. The result of the change was many new LSes were formed to get in on the action and - dumb people being dumb people - tried to sell something more common for the same going price.
          I'd argue they were/are smart, selling at the price the (revised) market can bear.

Same thing happened with the Limbus coins, but guess what eventually happened?

Got cheaper.
          ABCs' price dropped on Ifrit, while the Dynamis currency's prices increased (a lot). Goes to show it's not always possible to predict the price ramification from even a small update to a long running in-game system, nevermind the number and scope of changes SE is about to bring to FFXI.

Some people will hold out as long as they can. Others will not. If/When these runs can be low-manned, entry fees will still be split, but at a higher rate. Its actually questionable if selling currency would be worth it at all at that point, much less obtaining relic weapons, which could be considered old hat.
          Not saying you can't be right, but historical evidence says you're probably overly confident about your ability to predict the future, like most pundits.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Deviating from above discussion;

The best option I'd say is stick with your Alchemy or another craft.

It's not a fast income but depending on the market it's at least a regular income.
            Stick that together with farming the materials in your free time and you'll pretty much always be making gil.
            Even if the recipy is best off sold to the nearest NPC vendor. (In case you're skilling up)
            The millions that will pay for pimpin' your white mage will eventually come from saving up that gil, occasionally HQing and selling high tier items and accepting tips for offering your services as a crafter to others once you reach a high enough level.

Teleporting/recalling/retracing these days is not worth it unless you yourself run a bot that is fast enough to claim a shouter.
            Even then, at least on my server shouts have become so sporadic that teleporting itself won't make more per hour then farming and crafting even if you are able to get every single shouter.
            Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

First of all, seriously, don't go nuts about having the best gear at every level along the way on WHM. It's really not as important as it is for a DD. Really. But when you get to 71 (?) you really need to get that Noble's Tunic. Other than that, Blessed gear (except the head and body) and Walmart Turban is pretty standard. And get a Trump Crown if you don't have anything better for head. I didn't even get my AF until recently, but then I was leveling WHM from 40 to 75 in campaign, so I kept my Seer's gear going as long as I could. I've re-used it at least twice since then (BLM and PUP), not counting when I'd bring it for cap fights.

There is no limit to how many crafts you can take to 60, so there's no reason not to other than time. But I'd have to say Alchemy and Clothcraft have done me well. But I think it's debatable as to whether taking it beyond that is worth it this late in the game, when there are plenty of people with half a dozen mules leveled to 100 just for crafting.

I started almost two years ago, and I'm still working on leveling all crafts to 60. After that I'll probably "go for the gold" and try to level Goldsmithing just because it's the least common. But once you get a craft up to 50-55, you can slow down and let the few extra points come in naturally. The big thing is that it can make farming more efficient by letting you reduce inventory usage, and often get a profit at the same time. With a few exceptions, the synths that have no HQ will be your money-makers.

My first was Alchemy, and when you take that to 56, you can make a good profit turning farmed beehive chips into beeswax. I don't even bother with the honey any more, I have more echo drops than I need and just throw the honey up on the AH. Also, I can turn gobbie masks into glass fiber into prism powder, meteorites into flint stones into glass fiber, and dhalmel spit into vitriol while farming dhalmel parts in Buburimu.

Clothcraft was easy for me since I was harvesting W. Saruta at the same time, and had a lot of "free" materials to work on. Whenever I farm crawlers, I can synth the cocoons to thread (to save space), and then synth the thread into cloth (for a little extra profit). Depending on whether I've been leveling on crawlers or not, I get a stack of silk cloth every couple of weeks for a nice 40-45k. Synthing what I got from harvesting was how I made my first million, until the red grass cloth market crashed when Level Sync debuted.

Cooking was really easy to reach 50, and now I can make my own yag drink and pet food zeta, and even get some residual skillups (haven't reached 60 cap yet). I believe the progression was Orange Juice, Selbina Butter/Baked Popoto, Insect Balls, Fish Broth, Grape Juice, Yagudo Drink/Pet Food Zeta. The Saruta regional vendor (that dingy looking taru by the gate in Waters) is your source for oranges and popotos, in the same zone as the guild and the Buburimu regional vendor who sells yag drink ingredients.

Woodworking is good to get to 25 or so if you level NIN (which you eventually will, at least as a subjob) so that you can make your own shihei.

Be aware that some of the other crafts reach a speed bump in the 40s, even if you know how to look for good skill-up synths. I had to force-synth tiger leather (still have a stack or two left to sell) and scorpion arrowheads, and I still haven't yet decided on what to do about Smithing.

And one of my bigger moneymakers is simply doing Besieged a lot. I can idle overnight for a couple of nights by the paid warp taru in Whitegate with two stacks of silvers (changed in Nashmau) and get 1300-1500 per silver, depending on competition. I did this after I reactivated in February, and since then I've probably got another 60k IS just from fighting in Besieged. That's like 800k-1m gil in three months. And it would be worth twice that if I cared to do ISNM3K khroma ore runs. As a mage, the gear you buy with IS doesn't interest me that much, so aside from a base amount I keep around, it's all profit.

And then there are the opportunities that happen when new stuff is released. Every now and then I try to keep my Allied Notes down (spamming Iron Ram Shields in sandy for about a 1:1 gil exchange), but I got a 10:1 rate when the Patriot Parotector Livery (the WoTG version of the Aketon) was released. I would buy one, stick it in my bazaar for 100k, and it would usually disappear overnight in Rolan-Mart. I kept that up until I ran out of AN, and that was maybe another 700-800k gil.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

One more thing... GET MULES. At the very least, one each in the two cities that are not your home city. (A third one would probably be best left in Jeuno.) That way you can buy stuff without having to waste half an hour getting to a city, and you have more access to low-fee AHs for selling stuff. You can then sell farmed materials in whichever city has the appropriate guild, without having to lose 50gil/single or 200gil/stack just in fees.
              Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
              99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
              F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
              >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Working...
              X