New player altogether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player altogether

Well I'm a straight up new player to this game and not quite sure what to expect but I have questions/concerns I would like to ask you all.

Well first off I've read some of the sticky topics and have done my own research and it seems like starting off as a WHM can be a pain especially to someone who is new. I don't mind resting for to regain MP after a battle but would I be better off just picking another class first then once I get subjobs make WHM my main? Or am I completely wrong in how things work and the first job you pick will always be your main job?

I played PSU and WoW and I must say I really like healing and supporting people because when I'm a melee character I usually have nobody to heal or support me.

Xbox Live GT: PannicC

Re: New player altogether

You can change jobs at any time and decide what your main will be six different times if you want to. I started the game as a RDM, leveled it all the way to 75 and then decided to work on my WHM, and from that point on, WHM was my new main. There is no setting within the game to make a job your "main," it's just a term we the players use to determine which job we enjoy the most and want to play the most.

Starting off as a WHM isn't terrible, but it's also not easy. It begins to get pretty tough to solo around level 9, which is rough because people don't start partying until about 10 or 11. I'd suggest finding a friend to level with to help that last few levels fly a bit easier.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

You can switch jobs(and sub-jobs) as often as you like by visiting your moghouse, so you're not tied to your initial decision.

As for whether to wait up on white mage or not I'd say go with the class you enjoy playing. No point in leveling up something you're not going to enjoy, right?
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

There are a couple of things you can do to increase your performance:
        *Make sure you have Signet before leaving town.
        *Only target Easy Prey mobs. Decent Challenges and Even Matches aren't worth the trouble. Don't waste any MP on anything besides Protect and Cure as long as you're fighting Easy Prey (if you get aggro from a Decent Challenge or Even Match, use Paralyze.)
        *Eat Meat Jerky.
        *Buy the Refresh effect from the Fields of Valor Field Manuals.
        *Make sure you have the highest DPS weapon within your budget. To find this, use FFXIAH.com's Power Search with the following search parameters:
        Job = WHM | Slot = Main | Weapon = Club or Staff | Sort1 = DPS, Descending (this field will go blank after a search, so be careful), and whichever level range you want to look at (since you're new, try 1-5.) The higher the DPS, the better.

However, do note that FFXIAH only lists Jeuno AH prices (also, be sure you're searching in the right server!) The prices shown on the site may not be indicative of the prices at your home nation's AH. In addition to that, the item you want may be sold at an NPC shop for less than the AH, so be sure to search for the item in FFXIClopedia to see NPC prices as well.

Hope that helped.

Comment

The first job is always hard. Don't let it discourage you; part of the fun is discovering how everything works, and works together, and the first job is when everything is new and fresh.

Be sure to go through the New Player Guide.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I see thank you everybody for the help my game should be arriving tomorrow or the day after so I will be sure to put all this advice into effect then.

I really appreciate you guys help.

Xbox Live GT: PannicC

Comment

Working...
            X