This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: White Mage Overview

I think the guide is well done, but there were a few things that stuck in my mind.

Pies: I felt like you were downgrading Pies for low levels, but I found them far more useful at low levels than Mushroom foods or Cookies because Pies gave me +MP. (I switched to other foods at later levels.)

I'm Hume (so less MP than Taru) and the only times I could rest were after chains. It takes 20 seconds till the first tick of healing and 10 seconds each tick afterward. If I tried to rest in between (or even during!) battles there was an even chance the tank wouldn't last. I'm only speaking about earlier levels (~10 to 18). By the time I was in Khazam, resting for MP became much less of an issue.

Subjobs: I agree that subjobs are always situational. My suggestion for your guide is that no matter which subjob is being used, the player should always know why s/he is using it.

Skills: I also agree that keeping your skills capped (as much as possible) is important. But knowing what they affect is important, too.

Spells: Another suggestion for your guide would be for players to look at spell-cast time and healing vs. MP ratios. For example, Regen is extremely MP efficient for the amount of HP it recovers, but the cast time is long and it's wasteful to cast it on someone who only needs 30 HP.

Knowledge about one's skills, stats, and spells and their effects is the true power of a WHM. So no matter how someone chooses to play WHM, s/he can play it well.
    They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Very interesting read =D
      Originally posted by Ellipses
      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
      Originally posted by MCLV
      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
      More Sig:

Comment

Race section is better. Still kind of Taru-centric, but you are a Taru, so that's to be expected. :p

Comment

I'm not sure i'll ever be able to get the tarucentric outta it XD I'll try though ><

Double Post Edited:
          Originally posted by Nakti
          Spells: Another suggestion for your guide would be for players to look at spell-cast time and healing vs. MP ratios. For example, Regen is extremely MP efficient for the amount of HP it recovers, but the cast time is long and it's wasteful to cast it on someone who only needs 30 HP.
          Something I compeltely spaced putting in, but constantly talk about. I'll find a place to fit it in the next revision.
          Last edited by sevenpointflaw; 06-08-2006, 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hey i just wanted to say thanks for the Guide!!! I have been debating starting WHM, and after reading this i think i will give it awhirl.

Rep up!!!
            I fire up the grill.

Lighter fluid, lighter fluid, lighter fluid.

[GM]Dave>> FIRAGA III!!!

I pretend not to notice Susan shaking her head as I throw the match

Originally posted by Mog
            holy shit, apparently crazy is contageous. I turned his brain into the mind of a bulldog! nOO!!

Comment

Well, I just skimmed over the guide, but it look pretty good all in all. One thing I noticed was in the subjob section you didn't mention /BRD, which is a very effective subjob for WHM.
              RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
              Bastok Rank 10 Completed
              Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
              Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
              Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Bah. I knew I forgot something.

Comment

One thing though, Mithra and hume have the same amount of MP and HP you had implied that hume has more mp then mithra which is not true. Difference lies in DEX, STR, MND, VIT, AGI, and CHR and RSE later on.

And any good player will tell you playerskill >gear> race. Race just makes things easier(ish).

Optional sub
                  Last edited by Rayvlin; 06-15-2006, 10:58 PM.
                  In Dynamis-Xarcabard w/o Divine Seal:

Seraph
                  Mithra- 75 WHM, 75 RDM, 50 BLU
                  Cooking 100

Comment

Wow, great stuff, thank you so much for taking the time to lay all that out.

I level WHM to sub for BST and I'm learning to love WHM but probably won't take it any higher than 37.

Do have all my spells, though. I'd feel like an idiot dinging a level and not reading a scroll.

Thanks again!

Comment

2 months after the last post, but I'd like to say that overall, this overview has been more helpful to me than many other guides I've seen elsewhere. Also, occasionally rereading it makes me feel good about my job again after getting stuck with the occasional bad party. ><

Comment

Glad you find it useful.

Comment

I just wanted to echo what several other people have been saying and say thankyou for the great guide. Sorry, somewhat lengthy praise ahead.

I feel I have had a good grounding in the practical play style of the job and what's important to let me do my job effectively without having been ranted at, talked down to or being given a bible encouraging me to robotically follow it without ever thinking for myself. Writing in that style, giving room for the player to discover things for themselves but giving them enough information so they have a direction to go in is very rare for a newbie guide.

I read it first and understood most of the basics while doing level 1-10. I read it again and got more out of it just before I went to the Dunes (I still mess up sometimes but mp conservation is my mantra). Now I am looking at coming out of the dunes I am reading to refresh my memory and finding more to think about. I have no doubt that I will be back in 5-10 levels to read again and find something I didn't fully appreciate the last time.

Thankyou very much
                          sigpic
                          Signature courtesy of Selphiie the Enchantress

Comment

Good guide sev, very informative. As far as race goes, you have got to prepare yourself with the right tools to keep your whm the most effective it can be (or as much as your pockets allow). That's how i feel simply as a player, im levelin whm right now as a galka, and it's always been something that i've wanted to get around to doing. I have earned a lot of money in my fishing adventures and figured it was time to get around to it. Currently level 42 whm, with 469mp-sometimes more than the other mages in pt's. I usually get the, "Woah Rid, nice mp for galka" comments, and pretty much stick to the motto "If your gonna do it, (galka whm) you better do it right." Happy leveling to all the other inspiring whm's out there that truly enjoy the job.

if wondering, my gear currently consists of eremites wand, electrum hairpin, holy phial, aura earring +1 (x2), astral ring, ether ring, white cape +1, qiqirn sash +1 and full elder RSE set, and a morion tathlum.
                            Change the swords to words and lift continents.

Comment

Very interesting read. As a returning player I definitely needed this to help regain my sense of what playing a White Mage is all about. I've never had a problem with capping enfeebling since I play as a BLM as well. It's much more interesting playing as a mix of different jobs rather than one.

Anyway, I thought the guide was very well crafted. In all honesty I don't mind opinions in guides - it adds a little flavor to the text rather than it just being monotone. I found this guide to be very well written with little bias. I completely agree with the "learn by yourself" concept of not using PLs. I dislike PLs in general because I like to work for my achievements step by step instead of getting boosted up - but I do indulge in the occasional PLs that some of my party members bring along.

Ketski : Carbuncle
                              Tarutaru: PLD 40 WHM 31 BLM 27 WAR 28 MNK 27

Comment

Do keep in mind that this guide is slightly outdated. A few quick points:

1. /SCH is generally recognized as the best the support job for WHM20 and up, and likely will remain the default SJ for WHM to Lv.99 in situations where WHM isn't expected to Refresh others.
                                2. /RDM becomes a strong contender at Lv.80 due to Convert, and will be even more sought after at Lv.82+ for Refresh.
                                3. /SMN is pretty marginal compared to the tool set from /SCH (or even the MP flow of WHM80+/RDM40+), and really isn't the best choice unless a Carby puller/mob finder is needed.
                                4. /BLM is good for ES and Sleepga but little else, unless one is farming in places like Sky--in that case, having Escape may save a party a lot of running time.
                                5. Get HQ Light Staff plus Divine Magic skill gear for Repose; it is a light based version of Sleep II, and it is darn useful.
                                6. Learn to use Afflatus Solace/Misery properly; too many WHMs never seem to remember that Esuna should be used with Afflatus Misery.
                                7. Enfeebling skills are useful after Lv.40; I see WHMs silence magic pot type monsters and using other enfeebs pretty frequently in Sky. (RDMs and SCHs are not always available/alive/awake/attentive.)
                                8. Use Fast Cast and Haste gear with -na type spells, especially Esuna, Erase, Blindna. Should also add some Fast Cast/Haste gear into Cure III, Regen I/II/III, and Haste macros. (It's not a bad idea to use Celerity with long recast -na spells when fighting monsters spamming status effect moves.)
                                9. Generally, Shellra V, Devotion, and Bar- spells are the most popular merit options. Cure Cast Time and Regen Spell Effect both warren strong considerations as well.
                                10. Understand the power of Dia II and Haste. Please. lol.

Edit: Don't underestimate the power of Bar- spells, either. Between Barstone and Barepetrify (casted while wearing enfeebling gear. lol), as RDM79 I was able to resist almost all Breakga while in Dynamis-Bastok when they were up. A smart WHM in proper Bar- gear definitely can save the party (and himself) some headaches.
                                Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM.
                                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                                X