Hello all,

I am currently lvl 41 Sam and have taken the time to camp some decent gear:

Emp Hairpin
    2x Woodsmans
    O.kote
    Bounding Boots - 0/17 on Fuma's
    Jujitsu Gi -- Luisant chest at 45
    other misc pieces not worth mentioning atm

My concern atm is I will flag up for party and not recieve an invite for 3+ hours on some days. (I play other games on my xbox while I keep checking for invites). I am not sure if it has just been slow for invites or if SAM is just overlooked. I do fairly good DPS with the gear I have and I don't believe its a playstyle issue.

Is SAM going to have slow PT invite rates, and if so should I just go back to leveling PLD ?

Any advice is appreciated. I really like SAM but I'm getting frustrated at the slow invite rate.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Continue Sam?

Front line damage dealers are a dime a dozen. If you rely on pickup parties your invite rate is gonna be slow simply because there are so many folks looking to supply the damage who are competing with you.

If you enjoy it stick with it, if not you're better off leveling something you enjoy.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

However......

SAM is one of the more popular choices, not only can it deal great damage, it can do so over 2 weapon types, Gkatanas and Polearms, Gkatana is great on anything that isn't piercing weak, and polearms are great on those that are (ie. Colibri). On top of its great DD potential, it also boast one of the stronger damage mitigation tools in the game, Third Eye, when paired with Seigan this allows you to dodge many attacks, it can be used to act as a first provoke, or even an emergency provoke.

It is one of the most popular invites and usually one of the first picked, if you are looking for a solid invite rate at most levels of play your choices really boil down to several jobs.

Mages:
      WHM, RDM

DD:
      SAM,WAR,DRG

Support:
      BRD,COR

Tank:
      PLD pre 40 and endgame, PLD or NIN post 40

some outliers are always present but those are the most common picks for pugs and events.

Outliers would include, DNC(support),DRK(dd),MNK(dd), SCH (mage) these are teir two classes in their respective areas

There is also the possibility of hybrids however these do not get picked as often due to unspecialized positions and they include

BLU, (melee RDM), SMN, (healing DNC)

Really if invite rate is all you care for than SAM will be fine. Yes DD are a dime a dozen, but people have this stupid stigma that only certain DD are worth it... Stigmas are hard to break (see RDM melee or THF for anything other than TH)

sig courtesy tgm
      retired -08

Comment

SAM doesn't have much problems with invites being a top tier DD. However I don't understand why you bought Luissant Body, over priced crap IMO. It's not that much better than the Gi for what it costs (unless there's been a dramatic price drop that I'm unaware of).

The mid levels are the worst part of the game for leveling quite frankly. The Grind from 40~54+ sucks ass for everyone, but once you're past that you're in the clear for ToAU EXP. You could also get lucky and join some high level friends if you have any for an Abyssea party and just get put on chest duty (since you won't be able to actually hit anything)
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Do you like SAM? Do you like PLD? Level whichever you like; level both if you like both. It's a great idea to have some job flexibility at high levels.

The middle levels aren't that bad; when invites are slow, just solo using FoV and exp rings. Making a few thousands exp worth of progress even on nights without parties just isn't that hard on SAM or PLD, if you have /DNC leveled.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

If you arent getting invites, go unlock DNC and level up the subjob.
            You can always seek for a party while soloing fields of valor pages as SAM/DNC and switch to whatever sub a party wants when you finally get an invite, just make sure you list your available subs you can switch to in your seeking party comments.

3 Mithra are better than 1...
            Sapphire - Valefor 30RDM/15THF
            Navia - Valefor 70SAM/63NIN/42SMN/42RNG/60DRK
            Navii - Valefor 70SAM/64NIN/42SMN/50RNG/60WHM

Navia - Asura (ret.) 75NIN/75RNG/55WHM/37WAR/37SMN/28THF
            Goldsmithing (99.0 + 3) / Clothcraft (60+1) /Smithing (60.0)/BoneCraft (60) / Alchemy (60) / Cooking (30)

Comment

I reached level 50 last night, most of the invites I am recieving are East Ronfaure S parties. My concern is my polearm and GK skills will be really low at 55 for Colibri.(I won't have Penta Thrust) Should I try to get higher level sync pt 45+? Or is just getting the exp the better option and worry about skilling up later?

Comment

No you need to skill up.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Probably should join the parties. You can always keep your main weapon (Great Katana) from falling too far behind with FoV. Just remember to have sushi for parties when your skill is not capped for whichever level the party you're in.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Unfortunately no one wants a RDM anymore as BRD provides the same support and much, much more. I just hope FFXIV isn't going to turn out into some disgusting "you better be this or GTFO" type of game. Funneling everyone into just 5 classes (out of 20) is IMHO the most retarded aspects of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                      Unfortunately no one wants a RDM anymore as BRD provides the same support and much, much more.
                      I think you will find that you are mistaken on a number of levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                        Unfortunately no one wants a RDM anymore as BRD provides the same support and much, much more. I just hope FFXIV isn't going to turn out into some disgusting "you better be this or GTFO" type of game. Funneling everyone into just 5 classes (out of 20) is IMHO the most retarded aspects of the game.
                        As Cid said, you are mistaken. RDM do the obvious like Cure, Nuke, etc. BRD is, well, BRD. BUt I guess it all depends on where you are playing at as far as zone/location.

If you're thinking Aby, then I have to say, you are incorrect, because BRD is primarily used for yellow proc, but hell, BLM or someone else can sub BRD just under level 25 for the Threnody spell procs. You don't need a Leel 95 BRD for that. Hell, a COR in our group went COR/BRD because he's the only one who's BRD was able to use the Threnody spells (other than me, but I was NIN/WAR for tanking). RDM COULD potentially be chosen for healing if no WHM is present, or BLM or whatever.

If you're thinking outside of Aby, then I'd still say that the BRD > RDM isn't a very high ratio.

Comment

Err, other than having more MP for curing & some weak nukes, there's not much a RDM can do now that a BRD can't. Of course the two jobs work best in tandem with each other, but I'd rather have the BRD personally - especially if a WHM is present.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Comment

I'm sure Aeni still cares one year later.

Comment

Working...
                              X