Varangian Helm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varangian Helm

It should be a simple decision, but I can't seem to make up my mind on whether the Varangian Helm is worth going after or not.

Varangian Helm
    [Head] All Races
    DEF:35 STR+12 [Ice] +20 Accuracy-20 Attack+24
    LV 78 WAR PLD DRK BST SAM NIN DRG

Drops off Khalamari, an Xzomit NM in Abyssea-Konschtat.

The first (and the smaller) concern is that while the ~30 min repop isn't too long, we typically only stay 90 minutes inside, and asking my LS to do this would mean we're stuck in that area and can't range far to get other NMs.

The primary concern is about the the Acc-20, of course. While it wouldn't affect SA+WS, I rarely get to bring SAM to anything which is well served by /THF. (SAM/NIN is my normal form.)

For /NIN (and TA+WS) use, I'm thinking I may want to stop using Alkyoneus's Bracelets (Def:16 HP+40 STR+11 DEX-6 AGI-6) and get a Myochin Kote +1 (DEF:21 HP+15 STR+7 DEX+7 Enmity+2 Enhances effects of rice balls) to get a little accuracy back via the DEX. (Not counting head and hands, my WS set would have WS.Acc+8 and DEX+8.)

Head: Askar (STR+4 DEX+4) >> Varangian Helm (STR+12 Atk+24 Acc-20)
    Hands: Alkyoneus (STR+11 DEX-6) >> Myochin Kote +1 (STR+7 DEX+7)

So, the net balance going that route:

+4 to STR
    +24 to Atk
    +9 to DEX
    -20 to Acc

The DEX definitely won't cover the Acc-20, but should help a little bit. There's also the option of changing out the Brutal Earring for a Fowling Earring.

The thinking there is that since the WS set doesn't have any Double Attack gear besides the Brutal, and the accuracy of the additional attack on WS would be severely impacted by the helm anyway, there's not much point to keeping it on for WS. Fowling's Acc+3 would be a very nice counter to the Acc-, and the STR+1 will boost the WS damage.

Another option to be to keep the Alkyoneus's Bracelets and WS in Byakko's Haidate (DEF:42 DEX+15 [Thunder] +50 Haste+5%). If going that route, it would mean losing the STR+5 from the Myochin Haidate +1. Doesn't seem very appealing, to be honest, but DEX+15 is a pretty large accuracy boost.

Yet another option would be to trade the Warwolf Belt for the Potent Belt. Wouldn't lose a lot of STR (net loss of 2), but gain a handful of accuracy (lose 5 DEX, get Acc+8). There's also the idea of camping for a Sortie Ring (STR+4 Acc+2) to replace one of the Triumph Rings (STR+5).

At this point, is when I start to think it's all a huge headache for a few net STR gain. Maybe I should get the helm for only SA+WS while aquire a more normal upgrade to Askar head for other WS situations, like the AMK head or even just a Perle Salade.

But, if it's just for SA+WS, and I'm usually not on SAM and hardly ever /THF when I'm on it, is it really worth bothering LS and use up our precious time in Abyssea for a Varangian Helm?

That's the circle of thoughts I'm stuck in. Thoughts? Comments?
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 08-12-2010, 05:53 AM.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Re: Varangian Helm

Two slots you can pick up the slack with accuracy are Back and Waist. You've already touched on the belt options but you might want to look at camping the Virtuoso Belt. Also, if you're doing Abyssea NMs there's the Anguinus Belt and Belenos' Mantle.

Oh, and be a little selfish with your LS's time in Abyssea. I'm sure you put more than enough time in to gear other members, don't be ashamed to speak up when your turn comes around.

*edit* Apologies, Sam not listed on that back slot or Sharpeye Mantle which seems a little crappy.
    Last edited by Grizzlebeard; 08-12-2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

A few sams in my ls have this helm and they swear by it. The -ACC doesnt hurt Y/G/K very much as they are already very high accuracy WSs. Just don't use it for Rana.
      sigpic

Comment

For SAM... from all I've read, your Acc is typically capped for one-shot WSs such as Y/G/K; which are typically your work horse WSs unless you have be an additional stunner. So I think you should get the Varangian Helm because the -20 Acc won't effect SAMs WSs as much as you think, if at all.

As far as I've read using Myochin K's over Alky's only gets better for SAM WSs if you are eating rice balls which is too spendy for me at this point.

The chance of getting your Brutal to proc on a WS exceeds the benefits of the Fowling Earring's +1 STR and inconsequential Acc, imHo. But, this is completely debatable as it proc'n on WS is pretty rare and yes the V. Helm would proly influence the second hit. I WS typically in Brutal and Bushi... I'd go for a Triumph over a Fowler's if I could afford one... I think. I would like to get the new neck peice that's high STR and pretty decent ACC but also has a TP Store +5 on it to full time so I can stop using my Rose Strap and start using the Pole Grip so I can possibly get more chance for that Double Attack... Thnking of possibly trying the Askar body but I don't really think it's worth the loss of all the other stats during a WS.

If you have Myochin H's +1 keep them to WS in over Kitty pants and only switch Myochin H's out if you can somehow get the other +5 (or more) STR pants available.

One thing I did to add a couple slots to my WSgear macro is make it travel. You end up hitting 2 individual WS gear macros but you get used to it.

Make the last two slots in first macro:

/macro book #
        /macro set #

This will make it travel to another macro button in another unused book/set. You typically want to set the second button up as the same button in the other book/set as you're using for the first one (I use the far right) so you don't need to do any additional traveling through the set. Then travel back to your main SAM macro set by using the same:

/macro book #
        /macro set #

At the end of the 2nd WSgear macro button. This will yield an additional two macro slots by doing this but you could get rather inventive by following that process through several other /macro books and sets. I did the same thing with TPgear macros to get all my switched gear back.

If anyone sees flaws in my SAM and WS thought process let me know as I've only gotten this info from gleaning many websites and don't know any good SAMs to ask in game any longer.
        Last edited by Neverslip; 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM. Reason: specification
        FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
        FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
        aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

I can see this being very good for single hit WS, especially /THF, but that Acc penalty is still nasty...

Honestly, Y/G/K are the exception to the norm anyway with their hidden attack/acc/pDIF boosts. I myself am content to keep using my Maat's Cap :3

There's also the AMK helm too, with STR 4 Accuracy 10 WS Acc 15 and I think Attack 5?
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

InI, get that helm, and keep those Bracelets. YGK even with the -6 dex and -20 acc are gonna land upwards of 90% of the time. your looking at improving your avg WS by aprox. 50-70dmg a WS with that helm. That is hands down amazing, and further more, you can duo/trio/quad it very easily, with a thf or dnc with capped Evasion, and a decent evasion set, your gonna be near to fine, i say duo only because it would be nice to have a healer/kiter incase you get unlucky with shadows.

Comment

heh, 1/2 on helm with pet jobs. 3 Bsts and a smn. very easy.
              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Sucks for Rana, use for Y/G/K (unless your accuracy is reallllllly horrible)
                ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Exactly what is the amount of Y/G/K's accuracy boost?
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                    duo/trio/quad it very easily, with a thf or dnc with capped Evasion, and a decent evasion set, your gonna be near to fine,
                    Hmmmmm... I am most interested in this tid-bit. Thank you. I recently aquired some Dmg mitigation gear cuz I heard you could duo it with SAM and either a RDM or a BRD if the SAM had Jelly Ring, Askar Feet, and some body peice I never knew would be a good idea to have cuz the thing, I hear, hits like a Mac-Truck.

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                    Exactly what is the amount of Y/G/K's accuracy boost?
                    {Impossible to Gauge}
                    Last edited by Neverslip; 08-12-2010, 03:52 PM.
                    FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                    FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                    aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X