(156 - 18) Damage/1240 VE = 0.1112903226 Damage/VE

200 TP
    132 Damage/1200 CE = 0.11 Damage/CE
    (191 - 22) Damage/1240 VE = 0.1362903226 Damage/VE

300 TP
    240 Damage/1200 CE = 0.20 Damage/CE
    (348 - 40) Damage/1240 VE = 0.2483870968 Damage/VE

Testing method

Atonement is the shit by the way. Nothing like hitting a slime with a 750 damage Atonement + 750 damage Light Skillchain.

The multiplier doesn't scale too well between 100 and 200 TP. The most important factor behind Atonement isn't TP, it's definitely getting your hate up before you use it. In particular, getting that CE up is very important; VE is braindead easy to spike up when needed.

EDIT: Posted the correct numbers now.
    Last edited by Armando; 11-29-2008, 04:50 AM.

Re: Atonement Testing

Good work.

By the way, yes, Atonement is the proverbial dog's bollocks. We did a Lv100 Nyzul run last night and Cerb got stuck at 4%, seemingly not taking any damage for a good two-three minutes because we'd used all our meds. Then the PLD finished him off Atonement for 700ish damage. Happy days.

Comment

Wow, I would have thought you'd be all over this much sooner.

BG beat you to the punch months ago. Still, good to see people are putting in the effort to test these things.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Wow, I would have thought you'd be all over this much sooner.
        Yeah, 'cuz I can so solo Nyzul Isle >_>
        BG beat you to the punch months ago.
        Not really. As far as I know there wasn't any info on 200 and 300 TP until recently and even then that info is just for CE, not VE.

Anyways, I'm an idiot, I just realized I did the tests with +6 Enmity on. Retesting (I could just adjust the numbers based on that 6 enmity but since there's no way to know 100% how the game handles the rounding, and I'm obsessed with accuracy, I'd rather just do it over.)
        Last edited by Armando; 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
          Anyways, I'm an idiot, I just realized I did the tests with +6 Enmity on. Retesting (I could just adjust the numbers based on that 6 enmity but since there's no way to know 100% how the game handles the rounding, and I'm obsessed with accuracy, I'd rather just do it over.)
          Meaning you shouldn't have used any enmity gear correct?

Yeah Atonement does seriously rock though since it functions like a super charged Spirits Within. I can only imagine how good it is with the Burtgang.
          sigpic

Comment

Edit: Disregard that, I just read up on it.
            Last edited by dirtyclown; 11-30-2008, 12:33 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Yea there are new WS for each job obtained by getting weapons from Nyzul Isle Investigation

Thanks for the additional insight Armando

Comment

I was thinking about playing again. This new WS pretty much just made the decision for me.
                sigpic

Comment

EDIT: Never mind, maybe Paladin is a safe assumption.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

So, martial annelace (sp?) is a definite no-no for this WS.

I'm curious, if you swap in a bunch of +enmity when you use it would it be worth it at all, or use that to build up more hate and then pile on STR/MND? Flashing just prior to this WS has gotta be sweet. If you can stay alive and build up a lot of CE in a prolonged fight without dieing (such as kirin) I can see this possibly doing some nasty damage. Go go sushi PLD?
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah Atonement does seriously rock though since it functions like a super charged Spirits Within. I can only imagine how good it is with the Burtgang.
                      Well, you'd certainly hit the damage cap faster, but besides that, not any better.
                      So, martial annelace (sp?) is a definite no-no for this WS.

I'm curious, if you swap in a bunch of +enmity when you use it would it be worth it at all, or use that to build up more hate and then pile on STR/MND? Flashing just prior to this WS has gotta be sweet. If you can stay alive and build up a lot of CE in a prolonged fight without dieing (such as kirin) I can see this possibly doing some nasty damage. Go go sushi PLD?
                      Yeah, Martial Anelace fails for this. Joyeuse is insanely good for this, because it does more damage over time than non-relic/non-Justice swords, gets TP fast and the lower DMG rating has no effect on the WS's damage. I was fighting EP Dodomeki in Ifrit's Cauldron earlier, by the time I got 100 TP the first time I'd do 600 damage, by the time I got TP a second time I would do the full ~720.

Piling on enmity at the time of using it won't have any effect at all. Enmity only affects the CE/VE given by actions you do with it, not your current CE/VE. The VE part is very easy to cap out even at the start of a fight. The CE part will take a bit of time to cap because the only way to make CE on demand is damage, curing, and Flash.

The fight doesn't have to go on for very long for it to do good damage though. Just engaging, you can Flash and Cure IV right off the bat, and you'll have 456 CE and 2636 VE not counting any enmity you may have. That's without actually having done anything to the mob yet. You're looking at about 350 damage there, with 100 TP. Depending on what you're fighting, starting with a Vorpal may do more damage. By the time you have 100 TP again, you should have capped or near-capped damage if you haven't been taken insane amounts of damage.

EDIT: Also, THFs are our new best friends seeing as how Atonement will actually SC with Shark Bite. TA Shark Bite -> Atonement early in a fight is a good way to jump-start your hate.
                      Last edited by Armando; 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Well, you'd certainly hit the damage cap faster, but besides that, not any better.
                        I was referring to the aftermath triggered by using it with Burtgang :3

EDIT: Damn it, it has to be Shark Bite & Mandalic Stab and Atonement are in the same slot
                        sigpic

Comment

Piling on enmity at the time of using it won't have any effect at all. Enmity only affects the CE/VE given by actions you do with it, not your current CE/VE. The VE part is very easy to cap out even at the start of a fight. The CE part will take a bit of time to cap because the only way to make CE on demand is damage, curing, and Flash.

The fight doesn't have to go on for very long for it to do good damage though. Just engaging, you can Flash and Cure IV right off the bat, and you'll have 456 CE and 2636 VE not counting any enmity you may have. That's without actually having done anything to the mob yet. You're looking at about 350 damage there, with 100 TP. Depending on what you're fighting, starting with a Vorpal may do more damage. By the time you have 100 TP again, you should have capped or near-capped damage if you haven't been taken insane amounts of damage.
                          Just wanted to note some of the good things I've experienced with this:

For starters to be honest I've just stopped using Vorpal, and at times stopped carrying my DD gear around to save some space. I still keep PCC/Hollow earring at all times, but the more I compared the two, the more a crappy Atonement did at least as much as an average Vorpal, as you noted it's very easy to crank out 300+ with just a Flash. This frees up a bit more room for resist set/magic reduction/whatever.

Edit: side note here, they added Atonement like 2 days after I shelled out 450k for Hecatomb Mittens for Vorpal, fucking fuck.

The ability to close Light is fantastic, when I co-tank with our main PLD as RDM we love to do Death Blossom > Atonement, it seems like the SC damage gets through slightly better with the Magic Evasion- debuff of DB.

I do use my Enmity+ gear for actually using the WS if I don't think my hate is quite capped yet, although you won't see extra damage on the WS itself, the WS will create extra enmity with the gear, leading to greater hate and greater damage on your next one.

The nice thing that Mal might like is that it gives a bit of freedom to turtle up a bit while still not totally killing your DD potential. I personally have started getting a lot more use out of /RDM and using Tacos/shield for smaller things, the last I tried it on was Temenos East, it absolutely tears apart the Elementals there(though I did have Hunter's to make up for some of the Acc loss from not using Sushi). The extra TP from Shield Mastery adds up quickly, and cranking several Atonements out makes up for most of the hate you lose from bloodtanking. The nature of RDM hate spells also makes for good Atonement damage, as you are equally building VE and CE with most of them.

In larger fights where I'm /NIN I've taken to using Dorado Sushi, that combined with the large amount of Haste you generally idle in as /NIN lets you use the WS rather often with a Joyeuse. At this point I'm prepared to sell my Beaver Tails, as even when RDM tanking now I'm tending to use Dorado and ESword/Joyeuse for Death Blossom.
                          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

4)Claim + Bind produces 201 CE and 1540 VE. Atonement will go off 5 secs afterwards. At that point, the player will have lost 300 VE, so the VE will be 1240. Subtract 201 CE's worth of damage* from Atonement's damage and divide that by 1240.
                            Would just like to ask where your source is for these numbers, after double checking Kanikans LJ enmity table it shows Bind only generates 1 CE and 640 VE. Admittedly I cannot find the values given for the act of pulling and would like to know where to find those. I'm not meaning to argue your values, just curious as to your source.

Comment

2 years old topic is 2 years old.

But whatever. PLD needs more love.
                              Originally posted by Yygdrasil
                              Originally posted by Nandito
                              Ponies.

Duh.
                              You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Working...
                              X