This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• : Lv.10-60 Equipment Guide

Since our stickies are so old, and the game has changed so much as of late, I figured it'd be a good idea to make an up-to-date equipment guide. Just remember: guides are just that - guidelines. This is by no means perfect, or set in stone.

Recommended gear (i.e. gear I would wear) is marked with an asterisk (*); equipment for offensive/hybrid/semi-DD tanking is colored red. Equipment that's just for temporary MP boosts are colored blue, and aren't meant to be worn full-time.

Swords

Shields

Ranged & Ammo

Head

Neck

Earrings

Body

Hands

Rings

Back

Waist

Legs

Feet
    Last edited by Armando; 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM.

Re: : Lv.10-60 Equipment Guide

I would go for the republican or (lesser Bastoken) sword at lvl 34. As a tank the +acc and +ATT and lower delay are much more usefull to make sure you get hits on a mob to keep hate and the +HP and +MP, especially the Mp will be more usuefull in my experience than just the +7 (max) dmg of the Hunter sword.

Comment

Looks like you're off to a great start. And thank you for creating something new for players who may be confused or misled by some of the older stickies in the forum.^^

I know as a new player of any job, even as an older player, I like to get the opinions of other people who have been there, done that, and done the math on what works and what doesn't. So this should be a huge help for people.

Comment

Filled in the Swords section with the missing stats, and added the (rather inconsequential) Ranged & Ammo section.

I would go for the republican or (lesser Bastoken) sword at lvl 34. As a tank the +acc and +ATT and lower delay are much more usefull to make sure you get hits on a mob to keep hate and the +HP and +MP, especially the Mp will be more usuefull in my experience than just the +7 (max) dmg of the Hunter sword.
        Delay doesn't really matter on its own; it's the damage that you do for any period of time that matters. In other words, swinging faster doesn't make more hate if you end up doing less damage as a result.

It's also worth keeping in mind that while +3 Accuracy looks like a decent boost at that level when you compare it to the few other pieces of gear that give Accuracy, 3 Acc always translates into +1.5% hit rate. The increase in hit rate isn't very big. So it's a matter of DMG vs Attack for the most part, and the Hunting/War swords have an edge there.

After looking up the price for War Sword, though, I think I'll de-underline it and underline Republic Sword instead.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll try not to take too long to finish this.

Comment

IMO, Low delay and high accuracy works well with enmity+ gears/food. Though, that's based on the largely unverified assumption that enmity+ gear/food does its magic on every action, so more frequent action, the better enmity+ is put to use. Or, 1.5% better hit rate is better than 1.5% more enmity.

I would argue that Republic Sword is better than Hunting Sword for a Def/VIT/Enmity build PLD, while Hunting Sword is better for a hybrid PLD who already have bunch of Accuracy gears in other slots. The advantage of War Sword is pretty strong, so it's a bit of toss up on defensive PLD, but definitely good for the hybrid/DD PLDs.

(Disclaimer: I used Republic Sword until Grudge Sword mostly due to lack of Gil and short supply of War Sword at the time.)

Random thought

Edit:
          Anyone else noticed that once we were given Bibiki Seashell with its wonderful "Aquan Killer" effect, parties stopped killing crabs? I mean, what the heck... It's like being given a wonderful new toy but everyone moved to the new playground where you cannot use it except to hold it in your hands... -_-#

The game needs higher level crabs and bunch of Blue Mages willing and able to use Frightful Roar.
          Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Derail (Itazura quote inside)
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Since I have some spare time, let's run some numbers on the Republic/Bastokan Swords vs War/Hunting Swords. Since the benefit of the Accuracy and Attack is greater the lower your hit rate and Attack/Defense ratio is, I'm going to go ahead and reproduce a worst-case scenario. Lv.34 Hume PLD in Garlaige Citadel vs the highest level Borer Beetle (Lv.44.) That's a whopping 10 level difference, which is massive at this level (hell, it still is at 68.) I'm going to go ahead and assume a purely defensive tanking setup, in which the only DD piece is Spike Necklace for lack of another neck piece that actually does something (well, there's Tiger Stole, but I'm going with the worst case scenario.) No Attack/Accuracy food, no songs, no rolls.

Lv.44 Borer Beetle (PLD/PLD)
              VIT: 62
              AGI: 33
              Defense: 186
              Evasion: 141

Lv.34 Hume PLD/WAR
              STR: 38+3
              DEX: 31+3
              Attack: 133
              Accuracy: 122

fSTR with Hunting/Bastokan/Republic Sword: -1
              fSTR with War sword: -2

Average pDIF with War/Hunting Sword: 0.325
              Average pDIF with Bastokan/Republic Sword: 0.34

Hit rate with with Hunting/War Sword: 45.5%
              Hit rate with Bastokan/Republic Sword: 47%

War Sword Damage/Sec: 0.898
              Hunting Sword Damage/Sec: 0.874
              Republic Sword Damage/Sec: 0.900
              Bastokan Sword Damage/Sec: 0.832

Again, this was a worst-case scenario. The PLD in question had absolutely no +Attack or +Acc other than the 3 STR and DEX from Spike Necklace, against a PLD mob 10 levels higher, without the use of Dia/Dia II or Gravity, and even under those conditions, Republic Sword barely broke even with War Sword, and Hunting Sword still beat Bastokan Sword. In a realistic party you'd have Dia or Dia II, you wouldn't hunt Beetles exclusively (which means some of the mobs would be WARs) and not every mob would be 10 levels higher than you. Under better circumstances, Bastokan Sword would lose its edge over War Sword and Hunting Sword.

Granted, this is based on the old formulas for one-handed damage, but the new ones don't seem to be too different.
              Originally posted by Itazura
              Anyone else noticed that once we were given Bibiki Seashell with its wonderful "Aquan Killer" effect, parties stopped killing crabs? I mean, what the heck... It's like being given a wonderful new toy but everyone moved to the new playground where you cannot use it except to hold it in your hands... -_-#

The game needs higher level crabs and bunch of Blue Mages willing and able to use Frightful Roar.
              I know exactly what you mean.

Comment

[Lv.19] Auriga Xiphos (R/E) ... | DMG:17 ~ Delay:224 ~ DMG/sec: 4.55 | Acc+2

I just got this sword about 3 days ago. The NM is uncamped and in Fort Ghelsha. To spawn the NM that drops the sword, you need to slay an NM call Panzer (Warmachine). The Panzer will spawn every 60-70 minutes and when the Panzer dies, you have a chance to spawn the NM (Cant remember his name) that drops the sword. Either the NM that drops the sword will spawn or a Orcish Fighter will spawn. The NM that drops the sword does use the 2-hour ability Mighty Strikes.

1/4 on spawning the NM that drops the sword.
                1/1 on the sword drop.
                PSN ID: Kelshan
                Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
                Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Losrase View Post
                  [Lv.19] Auriga Xiphos (R/E) ... | DMG:17 ~ Delay:224 ~ DMG/sec: 4.55 | Acc+2

I just got this sword about 3 days ago. The NM is uncamped and in Fort Ghelsha.
                  The reason it's not often camped is because the spawn rate for Chariotbuster Byakzak is horrible; took 32 or 33 tries for me. (Saner people probably would give up after about 4-8 tries.)

Edit:

Since the Paladin forum doesn't have an "Index" to point out useful information, shouldn't this thread be sticked? I think many new Paladins would greatly appreciate it.

- Mugaku

Comment

Bump/Minor update.Sorry this is taking so long, college is trying to rape me!
                    Since the Paladin forum doesn't have an "Index" to point out useful information, shouldn't this thread be sticked? I think many new Paladins would greatly appreciate it.
                    I'm going to request sticky-age (along with a title change, since I screwed it up) after it's done, don't worry.

Comment

MEGA BUMP.

The bulk of the guide is now there. I'll add notes and underlines and highlight in red as appropriate soon.

Comment

Very nice and detail *thumbs up* ^^b

I noticed there is a Wivre Shield: DEF:12 Enmity+5, LV 58 PLD DRK.
                        It looks like a size 3. It is expensive at this moment, but highest Enmity+ so far compare to other shields.
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Lv.50 Jungle Belt (Mithra only): Def:4 HP+30 STR+3 VIT+2 INT-5
                          I used this for certain BC battles (hi Ouryu, how have you been?), and liked it (the belt, not Ouryu). Also not a bad choice when over-camping and fighting high ITs...

Lv.27 Savage Gauntlets (Mithra only): Def:6 MP+16 VIT+4 MND+2
                          Worn it until Gallant Gauntlets, though not always full-time. Nice and cheap alternative to make sure you have a little extra VIT somewhere, and the MP boost is good to have, especially at lower levels.

- Mugaku

Comment

Iron Ram mufflers
                            (Hands) All Races
                            DEF: 9 Accuracy +3
                            Set: Increases Attack and Accuracy
                            Lv. 45 WAR / PLD / DRK / BST / SAM / NIN

Iron Ram Sollerets
                            [Feet] All Races
                            DEF: 8 AGI +2
                            Set: Increases attack and accuracy

Iron Ram Helm
                            [Head] All Races
                            DEF: 13 AGI +2

Iron Ram Breeches
                            [Legs] All Races
                            DEF: 23 AGI +2 DEX +2

Iron Ram Chainmail
                            [Body] All Races
                            DEF: 32 DEX +2

Thought this looked like a decent looking set if you going for more of a ddish build inplace of full vit.

Comment

Lv.60 Iron Ram Shield (3000 Allied Notes): DEF:15 STR+3 VIT+3 Atk+3 Eva+3.
                              Terrific upgrade from Royal Knight Army Shield, with more STR and VIT. Attack and Evasion aren't bad bonuses either. Free, too, for those who can access San d'Orian Campaign items.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                              X