Gear/Skilling Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear/Skilling Question

So I bring my 37 NIN to an Abyssea party to ungimp it to 45, right? Time goes by and I lose myself in unlocking boxes... soon enough, I'm level 42 and the party leader ducks out and changes himself to a 42 DNC and starts unlocking all my boxes for me. I asked him what was up and told him not to waste his keys and he tells me it's fine... "I've got about 400". Meanwhile I only have about 25 left and was about to make a run for more anyway. So I ask him if we can just work on them together and he says... "nah, just hang out and leech, I got this".

That's exactly what I did. I told him I was going to go AFK indefinately and that if he felt the need to boot me from the party to make room for someone of use... to do it.

At the time I only had about 20 Minutes left in Abyssea and no plans to play for the rest of the day... so who cares if I get kicked out of the zone, right?

I left the house and went and did errands for the next 5 or 6 hours. When I got back, expected to be roughly level 44 or 45... kicked into S. Gusta outside the maw with a little solo work ahead of me to ding 45 and be done with it. What I found was me sitting next to the martello... right where I was when I left earlier in the afternoon... level 72... with 420 minutes left before I get kicked.

In my absense... my party rocked the GD boat apparently. So now I have a severely gimped level 72 NIN that I feel compelled to bring to 90 just because... it's so damn close anyway.

I don't half-ass anything though, I like to be the best ______ I can be. That being the case... I want to get my skills up to where they should be and gear myself half-respectably in the meantime. I know I need that new set of pink gear (forgive me for not remembering the name of the set) that you can buy off vendors in Abyssea for some sum of curor/piece. Besides that, I invested in a few of the cheap pieces of dusk gear for haste they add as well as the lvl 72 feet... the Fuma... somethingsomething that give +3% haste as well.

My questions for you guys are.... where the hell am I expected to go at lvl 72 with gimped out skills (107katana / 95 evasion / LOLninjitsu)? I don't have DNC lvl past 12 at the moment... and THF is only at 25 right now. I really can only /WHM at the moment.

I tried going to Vollbow to do page 1 for Lizzies and Bunnies... but with my Ninjitsu all gimped, I can't land jack squat, with katana's gimped... even with Life belt and O Hat, I can't land more than 30% of my attacks... With sushi it's more like 50%. Evasion is going up slowly... as I get my ass handed to me every fight... but it's a pain. Any advice?

I'm LOST

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Re: Gear/Skilling Question

Where would you solo at level 40 or so?

Go there or one camp ahead of that level-wise until the skillups start slowing down and then move on. Maybe try the Kuzotz region to start with and see how that goes.

P.S.
    Do we have to ready the bellybutton noodle for you now?
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
      Where would you solo at level 40 or so?

Go there or one camp ahead of that level-wise until the skillups start slowing down and then move on. Maybe try the Kuzotz region to start with and see how that goes.

P.S.
      Do we have to ready the bellybutton noodle for you now?
      Dont I have to levelsync down in order to get skills from them? or can I skill on things that are TW?

Comment

Go to wiki and search "field manual". That will give you an idea of where has close to perfect mobs for you to skill on with you NIN (or anything under 75'ish). I use that table all the time for this type of thing, be it skills or lvls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/answer)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You do not need to be level synced to the skill level to get skillups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/suggestion)~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lvl DNC, lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/suggestion)~~~~~~~~~~

... Like now.
        FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
        FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
        aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverslip View Post
          Go to wiki and search "field manual". That will give you an idea of where has close to perfect mobs for you to skill on with you NIN (or anything under 75'ish). I use that table all the time for this type of thing, be it skills or lvls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/answer)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You do not need to be level synced to the skill level to get skillups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/suggestion)~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lvl DNC, lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(edit/suggestion)~~~~~~~~~~

... Like now.
          So I can whoop ass on mobs that are TW??? Really?!?! Shit yeah.... I'm gunna go own house on mobs in Garlilage for about 2 hours. Thanks Slip!

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

New question: If a NIN is geared well in +ACC/Haste gear and pulling off rythmic attacks, how long does it take to fully cap out... or at least break 350?

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
            What I found was me sitting next to the martello... right where I was when I left earlier in the afternoon... level 72... with 420 minutes left before I get kicked.
            El. Oh. El.

My questions for you guys are.... where the hell am I expected to go at lvl 72 with gimped out skills (107katana / 95 evasion / LOLninjitsu)?
            To skill up Ninjutsu, just get a bunch of tools (you only need three because of recast times) and spam the elemental wheel debuffs on stuff.

Just remember rule number one of skillups: the most skill you can get off of a mob is your skill cap at its level. And since I think the debuffs work like spells, they should always land, so you'll get an absurd number of 0.5 skillups off of DC-EM mobs.

However, as you've noticed, your gimpness makes it hard to hit DC mobs, so just add 20 to your weapon skill level, find out what job level skill cap that corresponds to, and go fight mobs of that level.
            Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
            99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
            F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
            >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
              El. Oh. El.
              Not quite my reaction... but yeah. I w as actually more pissed off than I was happy. Someone like me... with my personality... being lvl 72... it means I have to get to 90 now... and I have to skill up and work on that job. Any job I have that I had no plans to MAIN... I never took higher than 37 (45 now). I only took COR to 52 because I accidentally dinged 38 while lvling and had a compulsive need to finish it to 75. I'm still crying over the prospect of skilling Marksmanship. I already hate it, and I havent even started yet.

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
              However, as you've noticed, your gimpness makes it hard to hit DC mobs, so just add 20 to your weapon skill level, find out what job level skill cap that corresponds to, and go fight mobs of that level.
              Thanks for providing that simple equasion to follow. I'll look up the appropriate mobs to target when I get home to my PC. Hopefully I can cap out Katana in a few days of hard work. Ninjitsu might take a while... since I'm all but broke. Evasion I'll work on when I level DNC up to 45. I suspect that if I go NIN/DNC in any zone with EP mobs, I can simply aggro 4 or 5 of them and just waltz my way to capped EVA, right?

Comment

I suspect that if I go NIN/DNC in any zone with EP mobs, I can simply aggro 4 or 5 of them and just waltz my way to capped EVA, right?
                Don't think you can cap evasion on EPs.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Thanks for providing that simple equasion to follow. I'll look up the appropriate mobs to target when I get home to my PC. Hopefully I can cap out Katana in a few days of hard work. Ninjitsu might take a while... since I'm all but broke. Evasion I'll work on when I level DNC up to 45. I suspect that if I go NIN/DNC in any zone with EP mobs, I can simply aggro 4 or 5 of them and just waltz my way to capped EVA, right?
                  Nope. You have to keep moving up. The "add 20" is to get you to the "sweet spot" range for weapon skill-ups where you will get maximum skillups for a while. Then when you get about 5 or 6 from that cap, you have to move again.

I'll say it again: the highest skill-up you can get off of a mob is equal to your skill cap at its job level. (And don't forget that mobs pop in a level range, usually 3 or 4 levels.) Also, the closer you get to that cap, the slower you will get skill-ups.
                  Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                  99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                  F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                  >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Okay, does anyone see anything wrong with this? Wow, when did SE allow leeching like this? Holy crap lol.

Yeah no question about it they totally killed this game for me. But congrats on your NIN levels, that job was pretty painful to level so that must have been nice.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                      Okay, does anyone see anything wrong with this? Wow, when did SE allow leeching like this? Holy crap lol.
                      I do, but I try to not talk about it too much here because it would turn ugly very fast and I like most of you guys. Suffice it to say, I've spent the last few months blaming everything that goes wrong or gets complained about in my linkshell on Abyssea and I haven't been wrong yet.
                      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                      Name: Drjones
                      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Imagine all the time Stanslave or whatever would have saved.

Congrats on getting nin to 72 lol. Merry Chrismas….geez. I agree with you though, I’d have to lvl to 90 as well if that happen to me. I can rarely get in parties as a key guy so I’m just waiting for the updated FoV to level subs.

For Skill ups on Katana, isn’t there a fort in the past or something that can at least cap at 75? Like, auto attack the fort and go to bed?
                        99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                        -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                        -Verth (90) Completed!!
                        -Guttler (95) Completed!
                        -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                        -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                        -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                          Okay, does anyone see anything wrong with this?
                          It's Astral Flow party -1. Something which do not need as specialized of a set up as Astral Flow party, and can be sustained much longer.

If SE was OK with Astral Flow party, it's natural the company would be ok with Abyssea exp alliance.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Romyro View Post
                            Imagine all the time Stanslave or whatever would have saved.

Congrats on getting nin to 72 lol. Merry Chrismas….geez. I agree with you though, I’d have to lvl to 90 as well if that happen to me. I can rarely get in parties as a key guy so I’m just waiting for the updated FoV to level subs.

For Skill ups on Katana, isn’t there a fort in the past or something that can at least cap at 75? Like, auto attack the fort and go to bed?
                            Do research... and report back to me on this. I must know the fort of which you speak. I HATE KATANAS. I want it capped (at least at 75) asap.
                            Edit: Did the research on my own. The Forts you speak of are in Castle Z. {S}. They have around 5k HP and are supposedly unguarded. Apparently during one of the recent emergency updates, this mistake has been rectified and there are Demons that wander into the are near the Forts every so often... just close enough to aggro and kill you if you AFK.

Looks like I'll have to do it the old (and ultimately more satisfying) way. \(^o^)/
                            Last edited by Yygdrasil; 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

i'm sure it's on this site somewhere. It's in Castle Zvahl [s] or something

im leaving work now, if no one answer by tonight, i'll look around and answer in the morning.
                              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                              -Verth (90) Completed!!
                              -Guttler (95) Completed!
                              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Working...
                              X