Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragoon, a goob job to have for missions / story ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragoon, a goob job to have for missions / story ?

Bonjour !

I'm coming back on the game and I would like to have some informations about this class. Since I'm going to start from scratch, I guess I'll be better to focus on one job for a while... My goal is mainly to see the storyline. I would like to know if I've only dragoon as my class, is it possible to progress trough the missions as this job ? Maybe it's an unpopular job for those, that's why I'm asking.

At worst, I'll level some other jobs as well, but since I'm so late in the game, I would prefer to focus on one job. Dragoons seems interesting to me because it also offer some soloability that will allow me to progress since sometimes party invites are slow, especially at low levels.

In order to conclude, you guys have an idea about another job that would be popular as well ? I kind of like summoner too !

Let's discuss !!
    "Le sacrifice de soi peut-être une source de joie, s’assurer du bien d’autrui c’est aussi faire sien leur bonheur."
    Asharin, DIV Linkshell member. Returning or new player ? join us on Valefor !
    # Working on a signature image ! #

Re: Dragoon, a goob job to have for missions / story ?

Given that SE has fully lobotomized story missions in FFXI by removing level caps in Rank and CoP missions, there's not really a series of missions that any melee job would be disadvantaged at.

Just expect that on the few missions you might actually need help with (usually the end ones for CoP, ToA and WotG), that pretty much everyone is going to expect you to be 75+ before joining you - anyone expecting max level for that content is a noob to be ignored

Anyone that says you need to be 75+ for Rank 10 is full of it. A mix of competent players levels 60-70 could complete Rank 10s.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-20-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

If you want the pretty blue birdie, go ahead, but it seems that these days BST is one of the kings of solo once it hits 76 and can use the newer non-gimp jugs.

As a bonus, when sufficiently leveled (to at least your main job level), it makes a great soloing subjob in areas with charmable mobs, especially for a main job with healing (WHM, RDM, SCH, DNC). All other pet jobs limit the pet to subjob level, which is half the main job level.

The tricky part of /BST is you don't get Leave until your main job hits 70, so you have to learn how to manage pets without it, usually by ensuring that the pet dies just before whatever you're fighting.
      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

@kitten: Well, that's sort of true, but not really responsive to the question.

There's no job that it's impossible to complete missions with, but there are some that are more wanted by players, and dragoon is not exactly high demand (it's not looked down on as badly as it used to be, but it's nothing special for most group situations). But it mostly depends on what connections you make with other players (for the ones that you can't, or don't want to, just outlevel the mission by a stupid amount and solo it).
        Last edited by Karinya; 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM. Reason: intervening post
        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
        RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

To expand on Karinya's comment: there's a lot of melee jobs out there (and lots of people that want to play them) and they're more or less interchangeable, so the high demand jobs tend to be the tanks and support jobs that are indispensable and tend to be less available.

Regardless, DDs are always needed, and Dragoons are good at what they do, so there's little reason why you'd find yourself excluded from Mission runs.

Comment

@karinya - There's really no "ideal" melee job for missions now, that was my entire point. Its always been true any job could complete any mission, but its the community that's made it seem like only certain jobs would be ideal for certain missions in the past. They didn't make these jobs "ideal" because they were being cruel elitists, they were just saying what worked out the best.

When I ran missions in the game job wasn't so much important as role. If you show up BST when you promised your mission group a PLD, that group is in the right to take issue with that. You promised tank and brought a melee. If you show up with an experimental job/subjob combo, the group is right to take issue with that as well - mission time isn't experiment time.

That sort of bad behavior - on top of how job abilities got capped/blocked off by CoP missions - is why people advocated particular setups. They didn't mean one particular job wasn't allowed, but that certain jobs were merely preferred. Having more than one role was an asset so long as you didn't withhold anything from the group role-wise, but a guy that just played melee jobs didn't have as much to offer as a guy that was melee, but also a tank or mage.

Now jobs don't have to worry about the caps, but the importance of role hasn't changed. A DRG still isn't a tank and I wouldn't want him tanking Promathia or Alexander even if he was level 90 - but do I have any reason to discourage him or THF from being part of those fights as melees? Not really.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate it. I do understand that there's a lot of DD and that a support job or a tank is often looked for... However, the last time I played I was a paladin. I was good at it and I loved the job, however it was unwelcomed in some area of the game (ex: merit parties) and correct me if I'm wrong, I've done some researches, it seems to be the same situation in the abysea areas. That's why I do not really like this job, the needs of a tank is decreasing since SE is dumbing the game down, so maybe I should try a support job.

Which one would you advice to go for ? Do you think I'm simply overthinking and should simply go with my dragoon idea ?

I'm all for playing a job like WHM, but I guess the soloing part might be difficult. I do emphasize on this aspect because of the decreasing rate of low level parties.

I would also like to know how a SAM/DNC soloing abilities are compared to a DRG ?

At worst, I'll level more than one job...

Let's see how this discussion goes !
              "Le sacrifice de soi peut-être une source de joie, s’assurer du bien d’autrui c’est aussi faire sien leur bonheur."
              Asharin, DIV Linkshell member. Returning or new player ? join us on Valefor !
              # Working on a signature image ! #

Comment

Originally posted by Wootie View Post
                At worst, I'll level more than one job...
                ooooohhh you will be ^.^ and the thing is, in FFXI, thats not a problem nor a pain

Now I am not sure how my opinion will hold, I have not played in 10 months, but when I was DRG I liked the fact that we Dragoons could have a bit more leeway with what we could sub, and there where plenty of times I subbed SCH or BLU to have my pet help heal or be a backup heal
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wootie View Post
                  Which one would you advice to go for ? Do you think I'm simply overthinking and should simply go with my dragoon idea ?
                  You probably are overthinking this a bit. Go stab stuff with a wyvern buddy and see if it's fun. If it is, play Dragoon. If it's not fun, play something else.
                  Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                  Name: Drjones
                  Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
                  X