SAM's doing DMG over DRG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SAM's doing DMG over DRG?

Shouldn't really feed my ego like that. It usually ends in misery. Like feeding a beast made of horror and its blood is pure sugar and caffeine.

Edit: also when everyone's got a subjob dedicated for defense its only natural for the job that can buff itself to beat ya which is why sam and war will probably always be on top in merit parties.
    Last edited by LeonstrifeLEV; 04-22-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonstrifeLEV View Post
      I am going to assume you guys were all /nin
      SAM/DRG or gtfo. I love having jumps & capped haste. And in a really good part, the loss of shadows won't matter as mobs die in 2~10 seconds anyway.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I hate posting in these things since im very bad at explaining my thought process but here it goes:

I am going to assume you guys were all /nin cuz thats the in thing with people now adays (like crystal meth and Hanna Montanna). So that leaves the problem with while the sam can use hasso and utsumei at the same time (+10 str acc and haste) you really dont have anything give you a boost offensive wise aside from your job traits. if you subbed war you would probably beat sams since your attack is way higher giving you a better edge even if they did sub war but your gonna need to some amount of tanking to occur in your party to prevent you from getting your ass handed to you in your 5 secs of fame. Might i recommend having those sam actually go /war or having a war be /sam and making a provoke order along the lines of third eyes recast? that way hates regulated, damage is migrated, and everyone else can be way more offensive.
        hmmm..I guess your r right but I only wish I could go /war to see what would happen but no body wants that.
        I'm your God/King
        AnimeKing

Comment

Originally posted by AnimeKing View Post
          I dont actually mean all that much just useing it to tell you all that SAM's are doing a hellish amout of dmg.
          Then, stop making up numbers--that only makes you look bad.

Parse is bad unless you tell the group you got it up if anyone wants to test there might with themselfs.
          If you dont tell ppl until after event/pt then thats just rude and makes you feel bad or angry, and ya may/will start up somthing.
          They can get over it.

overall I think you got it though SAM's got the gear/weapon/traits/abilites while DRG has a wyvern thats a multi-use tool.
          Now that you mention the wyvern hits I'll calculate there dmg with mine and look at the results
          Eyeballing is not calculating. Just remember that.

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          Parsers are crap anyway. Useful for testing purposes, but that's about it. Seen way too many e-peen fights with parse results wherein the other participants weren't even aware they were being parsed (and thus not giving it their all)
          The discussion was about Penta Thurst damage. How does "giving it their all" even play into this? Press two macros to switch gears before firing off WS? What, we 'elitists' can't expect people to macro in a few gears before firing off a weaponskill as a standard practice now?

Moving to more the general situation, parser doesn't just show the total direct damage done; it reveals a wealth of info on many aspect of performance; melee average hit rate, WS average, melee accuracy and WS accuracy are just the tip of the iceberg.

There are information on how effectively the players are using Utsusemi. WS frequency is an indicator of how diligent people are at firing off WSs. On the magic side, I can see how many times the crowd control people cast Sleep/Silence spells and how well they land, and get indicators on which BLMs are having resist problems with statues. There are even data on well are the the supports are keeping Haste, Refresh, Songs, Rolls on the party members.

You can derive data on how quickly melees engage, giving solid info on who were slacking instead of eyeballing it and try to remember who seem slow to start hitting monsters in a laggy environment. Tracking food used and giving feedback on melee accuracy would definitely help the newer DDs to determine if they need to change food/gear choices. I can even double check attendance records using saved parses.

Maybe you're confused as to what is a test; parser is just a measuring instrument; it's no more evil than a watch or a scale.

For my Dynamis LS, I'm setting pretty clear goals for the melees to meet: ~85%+ hit rate, 750+ Tachi: Gekko, 600+ Penta Thrust, 450+ Dancing Edge (on Trick Attack).

The nature of SAM's main WS's means SAMs tends to parser higher and won't see smaller WS numbers when overkilling, unlike multi-hit WS's. That is why I go easier on Penta Thurst numbers than Tachi: Gekko.
          Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 04-23-2010, 04:00 AM.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

hmmm..I guess your r right but I only wish I could go /war to see what would happen but no body wants that.
            /sam will work too. increase WS frequency and gives added support from hasso. and imo i enjoy using seigan more then utsumei anyway. its instant, third eye blocks an attack round vs utsumeis 1 attack per shadow. the few draw backs are its not that great for "long term hate" and cant be used during hasso. I never enjoyed the tp burn usuage of /nin anyway. Hate running wild all over the place is just too annoying to deal with.

Comment

/sam will work too. increase WS frequency and gives added support from hasso. and imo i enjoy using seigan more then utsumei anyway. its instant, third eye blocks an attack round vs utsumeis 1 attack per shadow. the few draw backs are its not that great for "long term hate" and cant be used during hasso. I never enjoyed the tp burn usuage of /nin anyway. Hate running wild all over the place is just too annoying to deal with.
              oohhh i see /sam is nice and saves gil^^ but ppl who pick me up want me as /nin
              I'm your God/King
              AnimeKing

Comment

ppl who pick me up want me as /nin
                Same here.
                FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

because /nin will keep you from getting killed more often than not. ive seen plenty of DRGs out do SAMs damage wise, but before complaining about SAMs, out doing DRGs, think about the purpose of each job. SAM is made to spam WS, DRG not so much. If your Penta Thrusts or Drakesbanes are lacking, look at your gear/merits/food and see if you're doing anything wrong.
                  Originally posted by Van Wilder
                  Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                  Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                  I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

I honestly don't know how to fight this anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by hexx View Post
                      because /nin will keep you from getting killed more often than not. ive seen plenty of DRGs out do SAMs damage wise, but before complaining about SAMs, out doing DRGs, think about the purpose of each job. SAM is made to spam WS, DRG not so much. If your Penta Thrusts or Drakesbanes are lacking, look at your gear/merits/food and see if you're doing anything wrong.

Such insight on this discussion is greatly appreciated and I must say I agree with a number of you. When you look at the history of these 2 great classes remember that Samurai's are normally exceptionally strong warriors while Dragoons are also exceptionally strong with the help of their flying companion.

I mean it's already bad enough when with the proper gear, your wyvern can do a breath atk ranging from 500-1100 (my highest was 750 Fire Breath and without "Deep Breathing"), now add that to your penta damage of let's say 1400, that could be 2500 damage from that one weaponskill scenario to the SAMs 1500-1800 penta. Yes the SAMs still did more damage but overall your wyvern helped out a lot so it's more like a 2 part WS for DRGs. Also to actually get those numbers from your penta and Wyvern's breath, you WILL have to be proficient at macros and changing your gears in split second intervals, if not then just continue complaining about SAMs doing more damage than you (sorry to be blunt).

~EDIT~ Also if your atk/acc ratio is awesome you can get a penta of 1900 (1840 was my highest), now add that possible 500-1100 Wyvern Breath and your looking at close to 3k damage from just your WS and Wyvern. If anything why aren't SAMs complaining about how a Wyvern's breath can do almost 800 damage and a possible 1.5k with "Deep Breathing" and the proper gear... just saying ~EDIT~

I'm sure everyone if not a lot of people agrees with me on the macros and changing your gear part bc it helps a lot, no I'm serious A LOT!!!! And yeah look at your gear,merits,food, and all that good stuff... I love DRG as a job so I made it my life to be extremely proficient with it, this is just a taste of what I put into getting outrageous numbers, or soloing mobs others deemed impossible. Love your job is what I say..

Hmm I'm gonna leave it at this and see what you guys think

~Kirakuro~Phoenix~
                      Last edited by odjnlinus; 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM.
                      sigpic
                      ~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

Comment

I hate to say it... but FFxi is NOT a game of averages. When you're doing gear swaps correctly, however unreal they may be, you're playing this game correctly.

Damn... up to 1.5k from Wyvern breath. That's sweet.
                        FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                        FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                        aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X