What would you upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you upgrade?

In individual pieces that's correct, but whiteboxing/min-maxing is about the overall result, someone who min-maxes every slot does noticeably better than someone who does next-best-thing in every slot. As far as the Heca gear, DRG swings slow enough that you're more than capable of swapping, WSing, and swapping back without losing a swing either way.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

...assuming swapping on Heca even for a second doesn't affect your swing speed. Are we sure that even if you don't allow yourself an auto-attack, that the heca wouldn't push back the next swing?
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

If you can even tell that you're probably too worried about it, lol.

Comment

In terms of Penta, 7 STR and 10 Acc is a large difference, and even for Wheeling/Gimpulse 7 STR 10 Acc vs. 9~ Attack and 2% DA is pretty debatable.
          While yes, I know that 7 Str/10Acc are good for Penta/Skewer/Wheeling Thrust, I do however question the worth of the Hecatomb Harness over Askar when the rest of your gear set should have alot of +str/acc on it already.

What I think would be a better cursed gear choice would be Hecatomb Subligar, a combination of +dex/+att. Short of Dusk Trousers, nothing comes even close to matching it, and I don't feel that the same could be said for the Hecatomb Harness.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

...assuming swapping on Heca even for a second doesn't affect your swing speed. Are we sure that even if you don't allow yourself an auto-attack, that the heca wouldn't push back the next swing?
            Yes. At least I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
              In individual pieces that's correct, but whiteboxing/min-maxing is about the overall result, someone who min-maxes every slot does noticeably better than someone who does next-best-thing in every slot. As far as the Heca gear, DRG swings slow enough that you're more than capable of swapping, WSing, and swapping back without losing a swing either way.
              Maybe it's just an exp thing then because I've seen people put up decent Dmg in mediocre gear while I'm tring my best (though not using *the* best yet) and not noticing a change. But then again I don't parse and that would be far more accurate then my own perceptions.

And with the Heca-swap thing it's not about missing an attack and more about delaying your next one. How big of a problem that is depends on your gear choices though, because for many Heca is still the best they can get.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

And with the Heca-swap thing it's not about missing an attack and more about delaying your next one. How big of a problem that is depends on your gear choices though, because for many Heca is still the best they can get.
                You can't delay your next attack because the delay 'til the next attack is determined at the time that you swing, much like the recast of a spell is determined at the time that you cast it. The Slow on Heca won't affect you until you swing with Heca on. If you Swing without Heca, WS, and switch back to TP gear before your next swing, then the Slow won't affect you. And when you're swinging a lance, that should be pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                  While yes, I know that 7 Str/10Acc are good for Penta/Skewer/Wheeling Thrust, I do however question the worth of the Hecatomb Harness over Askar when the rest of your gear set should have alot of +str/acc on it already.
                  Polearms also have huge base damage, you need a ton of STR before more stops being better, and DRG's ideal merit target is the one that makes Sushi not a viable option, so yes, you still would want more STR and Acc.

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                  What I think would be a better cursed gear choice would be Hecatomb Subligar, a combination of +dex/+att. Short of Dusk Trousers, nothing comes even close to matching it, and I don't feel that the same could be said for the Hecatomb Harness.
                  I agree there, but I never include Kings drops in my gear recommendations to most people. Getting a Kirin drop and getting a Nidhogg drop are completely different ballparks, and I never assume someone camps/claims Kings.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  You can't delay your next attack because the delay 'til the next attack is determined at the time that you swing, much like the recast of a spell is determined at the time that you cast it. The Slow on Heca won't affect you until you swing with Heca on. If you Swing without Heca, WS, and switch back to TP gear before your next swing, then the Slow won't affect you. And when you're swinging a lance, that should be pretty easy.
                  Thanks, that's what I was trying to get across but worded poorly.

Comment

I tp in Askar and I ws in Heca... I haven't looked back.

As far as the original topic... there are three useful pieces of gear in the Drachen +1 set.

Hands:
                    They are a great ws piece until you can get Hecatomb Mittens. I just recently obtained Aurum Gauntlets but I haven't done much testing to determine how they compare. An often overlooked stat is Wyvern Accuracy though. I often swap to Drachen +1 if I'm chasing a kited mob as the wyvern can usually keep up better then I can.

Head:
                    I upgraded this originally for more viability when soloing. The added VIT helps tick jump damage up the tiniest bit as well, but it's not a deciding factor by any means. Nowadays it's not as used though. I tend to wear Askar or WT while solo and then macro in Drachen > Wyrm > tp piece.

Legs:
                    Yes, the accuracy is nice but that isn't the only deciding factor. Drachen Cuisses +1 are hands down one of the best solo or healing pieces. The 10% Wyvern HP can make a nice difference, especially stacked with other Wyvern HP gear like Homam feet. Yes, the 10% is available on NQ AF, but the added accuracy and defense make it a more than worthwhile upgrade.

For the record, I upgraded all 5 pieces. >.>

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                      I tp in Askar and I ws in Heca... I haven't looked back.
                      Same, but if you aren't looking to drop 400k+ on Heca(or don't do Sky) they hands are still a really good option.

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                      They are a great ws piece until you can get Hecatomb Mittens. I just recently obtained Aurum Gauntlets but I haven't done much testing to determine how they compare. An often overlooked stat is Wyvern Accuracy though. I often swap to Drachen +1 if I'm chasing a kited mob as the wyvern can usually keep up better then I can.
                      I didn't even notice that, lol. I wish I would have, last time I did Ix'DRK I used my DRG mule for Healing Breath and engaged the Wyvern for extra DoT, I would have put those on if I had seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                        I agree there, but I never include Kings drops in my gear recommendations to most people. Getting a Kirin drop and getting a Nidhogg drop are completely different ballparks, and I never assume someone camps/claims Kings.
                        According to FFXIclopedia, n.legs can drop in Einherjar (even one of the Wing I chambers has it listed as a possible drop).

I don't know if all kings abjs can drop in Einherjar or only some, but apparently n.legs is one of the ones that can.

Considering Einherjar is where Valk Fork comes from, it seems like an attractive prospect for a DRG.
                        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                        RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Though Tier 1 Abjs are exceedingly rare.
                          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                          X